These people are certainly a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
    Didn't say it was cause for alarm Willi. Clearly the dollar has not revalued too much to warrant that.

The problem I have with Lazie is that he doesn't want the oppositon to question ANYTHING. So what is the purpose of the oppositon then?

Again, what did Lazie say about the Dudus thing when Phillips was following it up? That he was trying to get relevant again. Turns out that was probably the most important contribution made by an opposition member in Jamaica since Seaga and the Spy Robinson revelation in the 70s which exposed what a dangerous man Manley was with power.

The purpose of the opposition is to make well thought out, opposing arguments. Yes there will be politics thrown in but thats how the systems works.
    Since when yuh start jumping to conclusion I-Man? Whenever they say anything that makes sense, I have no problem with it. The other day when the farina on the opposition bench asked for an investigation into the overspending on the bus park, I didn't object to his request.

The other day, the very same dude was predicting the end of times when the dollar reach 100 to 1, now that things not playing out as he predicted there is something else to bitch bout? Come on now ....
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      Lazie, the purpose of an opposition is to present an opposing argument, once it is a well thought out one, and suggest alternatives if there are any. That is why they are called the "Opposition".

Do you think the lawyers for the defense in a court case are all idiots? Do you think they always believe what they are saying? Of course not , thats not thier job.

Then it is up to the public (or jury) to listen and make a judgement call. Suppose Phillips didn't follow up on Bruce and his partners in crime and try to get to the bottom of the Dudus story?

I do not see why is that so hard to understand? Or you just being a tribalist?

There IS an argument to be made for too much, or too fast, revaluation of the dollar. I have always said that what is most important is relative STABILITY in the dollar, so both exporters and importers can do meaningful forecasting for their business.

I don't know what the guy you were listening to was saying and if he was making any sense, but to suggest that the opposition should not comment on the currency movement is a bit silly and petty.

"the purpose of an opposition is to present an opposing argument, once it is a well thought out one, and suggest alternatives if there are any. That is why they are called the "Opposition". "

Lets see ... other that calling for Bruce and members of his gov't to resign, what alternatives have you heard being proposed by the Opposition?

Let me help you out .... Omar suggested the use of the TEF to help out in squatter communities ..... tek the batton and run wid it now ...
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

That is a reasonable criticism about the knee jerk reaction, thats where the politics comes in and distorts the role they should be playing.

But again on the currency the question is, are they (whoever they is) saying there should be NO revaluation and the govt should be doing something to stop it? That would be a ridiculous postition to take.

Or are they pointing out that if we have revaluation of more than say 20% (just a figure for arguments sake) then there are SOME consequences to that? Nothing wrong with making that argument in my opinion wether or not they spoke out about with runaway devaluation in the past.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

the fact that you have to ASK what are they saying, in itself tells a tale.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

This is all you need to know:

"The Bill Johnson poll commissioned by the Gleaner newspaper and published Sunday found that 47 per cent of residents questioned said they believed the PNP did a better job of managing the economy than the Bruce Golding-led JLP administration."

and

"The poll also found that Finance Minister Audley Shaw was lagging behind his predecessor, Dr Omar Davies, in terms of who Jamaicans believe would do the better job in the critical cabinet post."

Comment

I was searching for the words...

Comment

well there you have it! NEXT question...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The fact is there has to be some kind of balance. A 4% swing upward just show some stabilty. The value is less than 2 years ago. So these exporters didn't make profit then? It also give the consumer a little bit more spending power and I wonder if they took that into consideration.

What I want to hear from the PNP is to give some credit where it due and where the economy is falling down to rip it apart, not to come with these reactionary statements. How many exporters is this really going to affect? Is it better to devalue and run up inflation and prices?
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Agreed.

Now does anybody know what the guy or lady actually said this morning?
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Stap focus on idle chatter.. it has only comedic value.

This chap is who yuh need to listen tuh:

"KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Governor of the Bank of Jamaica, Bryan Wynter, says the appreciation of the Jamaican dollar since the beginning of the year, reflects an environment of increased confidence in the local economy."

Comment

Hello?? Anybody?

Comment

.. and some fell on stony ground...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                            Stap focus on idle chatter.. it has only comedic value.

This chap is who yuh need to listen tuh:

"KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Governor of the Bank of Jamaica, Bryan Wynter, says the appreciation of the Jamaican dollar since the beginning of the year, reflects an environment of increased confidence in the local economy."
                            Well it appears Comrade Thwaites have a different understanding of what is happening. At least he has a medium to misinform with his misunderstanding.

Comment

Thwaites ??

Yuh mean dis breddah:

Q: How did you arrive at the decision that the PNP was the party through which you would extend your Christian witness?

RT: I have always been attracted to the democratic social principles of the PNP in comparison to what I see as the unbridled capitalism of the other main parties. Also, I admired the dedication and efforts of Michael Manley, and I know P.J. Patterson to be a decent, simple Jamaican without guile.

Q: Why is Jamaica's education system so poor?

RT: Basically, I think our system has proven to be good. Our pri-mary and high school kids often skip a grade when they migrate, and our universities are world class. Why do you think the rest of the world wants our professionals so much? We need to target our basic and some primary schools with special programmes in Math and English to make our performance uniformed. Finally, schools can't make up for what we families send to them.

Dem seh him is a Rhodes Scholar..

Comment

Working...
                              X