• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful what you wish for

Be careful what you wish for

Published: Tuesday | June 22, 2010

The Editor, Sir:
    The head of the Jamaican diaspora in London, recently made a call for the younger folk to come forth from the background and solve Jamaica's problems, and in so doing requested that some of the older politicians, step aside.

While it is true that things could be done differently in several aspects of our governance, being familiar with much of what is now termed the younger generation of aspiring politicians, we should ponder with reservation the generational interchange in roles which it is being suggested should be hastened.

It will take nothing short of a moral renaissance and inculcation of scruples of accountability, fairness and lack of greed in our toddlers before Jamaica can anticipate any meaningful change in the way we are led. Reason being the much of the self-styled 'up and coming leaders' are really self-serving opportunists with some element of quasi-eloquence.

Long haul
    It is therefore suggested that if Jamaica is to expect any real change to the way we are governed it will be a long haul and focus should begin at the early childhood level. I probably will not gain many friends among my peers for this observation but that is of course of zero concern.

To the head of the Jamaican diaspora in London and those like-minded who call for the younger political minds to hurry up and take over the reins, be very careful what you call for.

Chances are you might just get a bunch of more sophisticated con artists, thieves and deceivers with an edge !

I am, etc.,
    ABKA FITZ-HENLEY
    abkafitzhenley@yahoo.com
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Welcome words of caution. ...even as some of the old ones should. Hey could even be replaced by wiser, morally upright old ones.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X