RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob inducted in Songwriters Hall of Fame....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob inducted in Songwriters Hall of Fame....

Had the good fortune to attend the 2010 Songwriters Hall of Fame show last night at the Marriott Marquis..Bob inducted specifically for for I Shot the Sheriff...the track that Babylon seems to idolize. Also Earth Wind & Fire inducted...mash up di place to close out the show. Kim Carnes, Paul Simon, Billy Joel Taylor Swift and on & on.

The big thing for me was that Bob's induction just underscored the current decadence, decline and degradation of reggae music under the buffoons operating it now who were handed such a brilliant legacy by great artistes/producers from the 1960s-80s.

Without the great legacy.. currently being destroyed...the crop of ignorant imbeciles dominating Jamaican music would be relegated to a mere nuisance...easy to ignore. What a great travesty.

Leafing through Billboard magazine for the first time in many many moons (maybe 100 moons!) ...mi notice seh:

1. There is no longer any reggae chart to ****************!! But dem ave Bluegrass, Mexican and other obscure subtypes. That might be a result of Timothy White no longer running the Billboard ting....but whatever the reason it underlines the DECLINE & FALL of Jamaican music.

2. The only reggae act on ANY chart is from the Marley clan...including the Damian/Nas recent release

3.Babylon's favourite Marley release, the Legend compilation album..is #2 on the Catalog Chart of older albums...behind a Rolling Stones release...and ahead of Michael Jackson...and the rest. Legend has been in the top 10 catalog albums for 18 years straight ...wow!

All in all a very sobering experience...mixed feelings apart from the nice vibes at the show.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

What is it about "I Shot the Sheriff" that has made it so popular with US music lovers? Is it just because of the Eric Clapton cover, or something to do with the type of song it is (very un-Wailers if you ask me) ?

Yes while there are some decent composers and singers in reggae out there, it total the music is far from its best days.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The Eric Clapton cover went #1 in the US & England I believe...after that Bob re-mixed it with some rock elements...I guess that's what made it a winner to that market.

Yes we always have good individual artistes/producers but the dominant trend in the industry is dumb and destructive unfortunately

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Strange then how "I shot the Sheriff" was the song of choice...shouldn't one from Legend be?

Comment

there are some inaccuracy in your post as there are other artists who riding charts that are not Marley related.

There are still some good reggae been produced, it depends on where you listen to your music.

Congrats to the Gong and I understand your fustration but let us support the good and decent upcoming acts who are doing good music out there. Reggae not dead and the living testimony is that is there are many festivals from New England, Woodstock NY, Virginina to Califonia playing to very huge crowds. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
            Strange then how "I shot the Sheriff" was the song of choice...shouldn't one from Legend be?
            Babylon dem love Bob lyrics...but Clapton's performance

Comment

LOL. Did you know Barbara Streisland did a cover of "Guava Jelly"? Didn't even mention Bob as the songwiter and was sued for US$40k...a lot of money back then...never respected her since.

Comment

riding what Billboard charts pray tell?? Please elucidate

we always produce some good music as you will see I acknowledge...IF you read carefully. Even now we do.

My point which you specialize in missing is the overall TREND...which is incontrovertibly downhill
                Last edited by Don1; June 19, 2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                  LOL. Did you know Barbara Streisland did a cover of "Guava Jelly"? Didn't even mention Bob as the songwiter and was sued for US$40k...a lot of money back then...never respected her since.
                  didn't know of the suit...but ah suh dem stay boss

Comment

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/gypt...04078704.story

take it from Billboard for yourself.

The fact is other than the Reggae Billboard chart there is never normally a lot of Reggae songs on Billboard at one time.

You can't use Billboard as the standard to judge reggae
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

that's 3 months ago fella... yuh need more research

With those so-called lyrics they quote " mi want a gyal i wine pon mi etc... I doubt that this nonsense (although I admire the intent) could last

Comment

isn't that current. You may not realise but regardless of what you feel abou the song it is getting bigger and bigger and getting more and more radio play in the US.

The fact is threre is always a Reggae song breaking through on Billboard every now and then.

Comment

Again stop taking your opinion as facts.

http://www.billboard.com/artist/gypt...history/732321

Comment

3 months ago is NOT current... cut the crap. Current means NOW.

I said originally that I scanned the latest Billboard mag (it's published monthly NOT quarterly) and saw no reggae chart and no non-Marley presence on ANY of the 15 or so charts... I could be wrong but you have presented nothing relevant.

As to Gyptian... I wish him well

Comment

so he's on a chart?? HOORAY!!

The published chart doesn't go that far down to #91 unfortunately...nice research though. I guess there may even be others in the 150-500 range...nice
                              ...you did say there were "others riding the charts".... would welcome seeing the others.

My central thesis is sound...reggae music is in decline...the jury is in

Comment

Working...
                              X