• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audley Shaw — Cometh the hour, cometh the man

BY AL EDWARDS
    Sunday, June 13, 2010

1/1

WHEN Audley Shaw was appointed Minister of Finance and Planning back in 2007, many questioned whether he had the ability, aptitude and acumen for the position. There were those who said he couldn't hold a candle to his predecessor, Dr Omar Davies, and that he would prove to be a laughing stock in the international financial community.
    The more astute observed that his performance in the televised debate with Dr Davies in 2007 was a portent of things to come and that he acquitted himself well and by no means could be dismissed as a lightweight incapable of formulating and implementing the necessary financial policies needed to get Jamaica on track.
    Even the Prime Minister Bruce Golding seemed to have bought into this perception appointing two other ministers in that portfolio, Don Wehby from GraceKennedy and trade unionist Dwight Nelson, a clear signal that Shaw would "have adequate help to lighten the load". This earned Shaw the unflattering sobriquet "One-Third" -- in other words, it would take Shaw and two other ministers in Heroes' Circle, to do what Davies had done alone for the better part of two decades. Shaw maintained that he could access funding from multilateral agencies at cheaper rates than Davies was able to obtain from the capital markets. He was ridiculed and the idea was dismissed as unfeasible. All the while Jamaica's debt mountain continued to grow as it neared the J$1-trillion mark in the Government's first year in office.
    .... More at ..
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...he-man_7701525
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

... the amount of time this man has been knocked since taking office .. the amount of times this man has been second guessed whenever he says something. I recall how people were up in arms when the former BOJ Gov was fired, now we're seeing he was the one holding things back.

I guess tomorrow if him sneeze and nuh say sorry we'll be hearing how Omar was better than him.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

really and truly...i don't think it was very hard to be better than omar. it would have been difficulty however to be WORSE!!

btw i am waiting for omar's comments on what has been happening in the economy.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you see it too. Omar was caught up with himself, a play 3 card and think it was good principle and thought nobody knew finance like him. The big difference with Shaw is that he had an overall plan and goals even before he took office and he stuck to it. You can credit the IMF, the BOJ, World Bank IDB but a Shaw put it all together.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good job on stabilising the economy, but what is next for the Jamaican economy? When should we start seeing some positive results increased growth, lower unemployment etc.

Comment

the Chinese coming. I heard on National Public Radio they just bought out the Greece ports and they are looking to buy ports all over the world so watch out soon.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What exactly are the Chinese going to do in Jamaica? Is that all they are banking on?

Comment

the plan is to give them Caymanas to assembly things and use the port as a shipment point for goods to the region. It is also hopeful that it will present a marketplace for the region. Right now people from the region (Americas) travelling to China to buy stuff.

It will also bring tourist. It is not a new plan as seaga been pushing it a long time ago. The fact is if they can pull it off it would mean a big growth in GDP and many low income workers will get a job.

Comment

I am all for renaming the deadly obstacle financial mess iceberg(FMI),helping the wise to make the correlation with the IMF. In this case the ship isn't avoiding the iceberg.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    the plan is to give them Caymanas to assembly things and use the port as a shipment point for goods to the region. It is also hopeful that it will present a marketplace for the region. Right now people from the region (Americas) travelling to China to buy stuff.

It will also bring tourist. It is not a new plan as seaga been pushing it a long time ago. The fact is if they can pull it off it would mean a big growth in GDP and many low income workers will get a job.
                    Sounds good! Whats the chances of it happening? Seems like you know a lot about it lol

Comment

they have been talking and meeting with the Chinese. Chinese fixing up and widening Palisades road. Chinese want a Chinese station and the government gave the sugar factory in the region months to vacate their lease. Those are hopeful signs to me and I am just hoping it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        really and truly...i don't think it was very hard to be better than omar. it would have been difficulty however to be WORSE!!

btw i am waiting for omar's comments on what has been happening in the economy.
                        One a dese dayz yuh need fi explain that to the numerous clowns round here. Wish yuh luck still.

Comment

Suh wi give weh di beaches tuh di Spanish
                          Wi give wheh JPS to di Mericans
                          Wi give wheh di Airports.. mi nuh even know ah who..
                          Wi give wheh di Bauxite tuh di Chinese
                          Wi give wheh Caymans tuh di Chinese
                          Wi give wheh di Toll roads tuh di French
                          Wi give wheh Dudus tuh di Mericans..
                          Wi give wheh Air Jamaica tuh di Trinis..

Is wheh wi ah keep exactly ?

Wi soon start give wheh wi women...

Comment

I was under the impression you were favour of the chinese coming? Although there is some doubt they will now!

Comment

Who yuh talking to MissLondon ?

Comment

Working...
                              X