Gleaner VS Observer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gleaner VS Observer

Which has the larger readership? And what are the political leanings? Most papers in the UK lean to one political party or another. It seems like the Observer is the more popular newspaper online based on the fact that there are many more comments on the Observer website than on the Gleaner, especially since the Dudus situation. They also seem to update more frequently and have a wider variety of columnists and sections. The Gleaner webiste seems harder to navigate.

The Gleaner online takes so long to load up, plus the damn pop ups, oh by the way, I found a cantact e-mail, and guess what it boms, it must be the norm in Jamaica, the JAAA e-mail does not work either.

Comment

OBSERVER: Plus: Online edition updated about 4 hours earlier than GLEANEr. Minus: Cartoonist is anti-PNP.

GLEANER: Plus: More balanced reporting. Sports section gives more coverage to parish-level sports. Minus: Online edition updated in the wee hours of the morning (USA time). Some online photos in black and white.

Comment

The Gleaner has been around for centuries and many second newspapers in Jamaica have come and gone over that time. I don't know if the Observer has caught up in readership offline but online the Observer is a much better site in my opinion, and does seem to be the preferred choice of most Jamaicans I know.

There have been times like in the 70s when the Gleaner was fiercely anti-PNP which was the govt at the time. It was probably a good thing because the government-run TV station of that era (we had only one TV station ) , the JBC, was very pro-PNP in its coverage. These days I don't think the Gleaner politically leans much one way or the other.

I would say the Observer is more pro-Butch Stewart than it is any particular party. If he doesn't like a particular govt policy and the way it will affect his business empire then the Observer will cover the news with that angle.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post

I would say the Observer is more pro-Butch Stewart than it is any particular party. If he doesn't like a particular govt policy and the way it will affect his business empire then the Observer will cover the news with that angle.
          Which is why it's been dubbed the Sandals Newsletter...LOL!

However anything is capable of truth...even tribal propagandists
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Dont worry your pretty little head over all those things, just continue reading the Observer
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

I believe Oliver Clarke owes Omar Davis his life..

Comment

Originally posted by MissLondon View Post
                Which has the larger readership? And what are the political leanings? Most papers in the UK lean to one political party or another. It seems like the Observer is the more popular newspaper online based on the fact that there are many more comments on the Observer website than on the Gleaner, especially since the Dudus situation. They also seem to update more frequently and have a wider variety of columnists and sections. The Gleaner webiste seems harder to navigate.

mi grow up offa di gleaner . The OBser.. is a better written paper
                but I love the gleaner archives(dated to 1834) , it is the oldest newspaper in the Americas .The Gleaner have always been the number 2 newspaper in
                jamaica because all the others that comes up always started out as number
                one .I was fortunate to read their Books (yes Newspaper Books ) in the 80s . I like dawn ritch , father espuet , Morris cargill (died) , las may the cartoonist , Kwesi Moguso the journalist who covers soccer more time . The
                Gleaner has been sold overseas for many years and is listed on the Jamaica
                Stock Exchange . I think I like the gleaner more so than Observer but I
                dislike the star very much .I think the gleaner is written at high school
                1st to 3rd form level .
                Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                Probably forthcoming...

Comment

try find the sale of slaves in the archives or anything on runaway slaves. Careful of what you read.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    try find the sale of slaves in the archives or anything on runaway slaves. Careful of what you read.

Jawge u wont find that , if you recall slavery was abolish in 1834 the same
                    year the gleaner started in Jamaica . I must admit it was started by a jew
                    who later went to N America .
                    United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                    Probably forthcoming...

Comment

chattel slavery was abolished in 1838. Now come again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                        chattel slavery was abolished in 1838. Now come again.

jawge mi get ah 1 inna CXC Social Studies/History and fi mi book dem
                        tell mi seh Queen Victoria Abolish Slavery in the West Indies 1834.
                        which England was the first europeans to do so . Brazil was the last
                        place to abolish slavery in the Americas.
                        Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Working...
                        X