X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunset Resort helping to re-energise tourism industry

Sunset Resort helping to re-energise tourism industry

Published: Sunday | June 13, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

The lobby at the Sunset Beach Resort and Spa in Montego Bay.

The Hendrickson family-run Sunset Beach Resort and Spa has joined the fight to re-energise the tourism industry to make up for ground lost as a result of the civil unrest in west Kingston recently.
    "It is just a matter of com-munication, spreading the message to let people know that Jamaica is doing well and there is no real reason for concern," said Ian Kerr, managing director of Sunset Resports.
    "All hotel people are doing what they have to do," he further said.
    Kerr admitted that several of the hotel bookings, mainly conferences and group functions, amounting to just under US$1 million, were cancelled as a result of the disturbances, but said that the hotel was now working intensely with travel partners to regain the momentum.
    "We can only go out and re-energise the market and get the interest going back in Jamaica again," said Kerr.
    "All hotels have to do it," he added. Sunset Beach Resort and Spa

, a 430-room facility located on the tip of the Montego Free Port peninsula in Montego Bay, has on average a 70 per cent to 80 per cent occupancy level on any one day. "It plays up and down. We lost some bookings with the distur-bance,but we have met the challenge and are doing what has to be done," Kerr told Sunday Business.

While Kerr declined to say how much money he intended to spend on marketing and advertising campaigns, he said that they had already signed a contract with CINTV to start advertising in the United States.
    As for the cancelled bookings Kerr said that they were one of the first hotels to have announced that patrons could rebook without a penalty. A returning-guest programme has also been put in place. Further, Kerr noted that numbers for forward bookings for the months of July and August had so far outpaced last year's, a sign that things were picking up somewhat.
    Last edited by Assasin; June 13, 2010, 08:58 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

'Ow it look suh empty, Sass?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

looks are decieving. It always look so. you think a dancehall this?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

thank goodness the last time i was there, a couple months ago, it was a hell of a lot busier than that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well.. the kitchen is usually bustling.. food haffi cook !

Comment

yuh wein see mi? mek yuh neva call to mi?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh nuh hear mi seh it busy !

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                looks are decieving. It always look so. you think a dancehall this?

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Somehow you arrive same time with the tourist bus and you a tell me you live a Jamaica?

A will let Uncle Abe check you out .

Comment

Working...
                  X