• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This country is not falling apart

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Geof Brown
    Friday, December 22, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=80 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Geof Brown</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Recently on his radio talk show, Wilmot ('Mutty') Perkins mentioned casually that this country is falling apart. This column categorically takes issue with that statement. Mark you, at times Mr Perkins is given to hyperbole and exaggeration (for effect?), as was perhaps the case when he relegated the University of the West Indies, a multi-faculty, multi-national, multi-thousand student body, internationally respected institution to the status of an "intellectual ghetto".
    Such unthinking statements are hardly worthy of a "thinking man's" show. But this is not about the intellectual integrity or lack of it by Perkins, a man of considerable intellect. It is to dispute his rather casual assertion caught on the fly, since I am not a regular listener to his show. But some of his listeners unthinkingly take for gospel even casual and little thought-out utterances of the bright, engaging and entertaining talk show host. Thus, although his remark in question lacks any perceptual depth, it is not to be ignored.
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>This country is not falling apart. This country has a number of problems and concerns, some of them quite serious. They hardly bear repeating as not only are they obvious, but some commentators find just about nothing else to comment on.
    The rest of us are overwhelmed with their barrage of recitation of the country's unworthiness. Last week's column, "Jamaica land of beauty" reviewed some of the positives overlooked in the constant recitation of our woes. Here is what one of the many respondents wrote, inter alia: (She has given me permission to quote her) "We are very quick to point out the talents and abilities of other nationalities and quick to condemn our own. We like to go overseas for exemplary people in any field but deny how much we have here: NDTC, Red Stripe, Tia Maria, Blue Mountain Coffee, athletes, cricketers, bobsleigh team, scientists, actors in Hollywood, politicians in the Whitehouse, mayors in England, etc."<P class=StoryText align=justify>The respondent continued: "What makes us stand out is that we are a small country but resilient (although) a Third World one. Having worked in the tourism industry for many years, I have heard over and over (visitors') comments and awe on how powerful a nation this is but we don't seem to know it". This last observation underscores my main thesis about Jamaica's true status, concerning which there are "none so blind as those who would not see". And I know that there are some who will say Jamaica's ability to produce world beaters in so many fields is no proof that it is not falling apart. By that they chiefly mean the seemingly intractable problems of the crime rate and the economy.<P class=StoryText align=justify>As this was being written two days ago, there was an intriguing discussion on the state of the country's economy on a leading radio talk show, The Breakfast Club, with prominent economists and the shadow minister of finance for the Jamaica Labour Party, Audley Shaw. The gist of the current economic trends discussed showed a number of positive indicators. The Net International Reserves (NIR) are up, the debt to GDP ratio is going down, interest rates are trending down, inflation is down to a single digit, there is new growth of two per cent in the economy, reversing the negative growth of several previous years, the deficit position is better than projected, external and internal business confidence are both moving up. Does that sound like a coun
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: This country is not falling apart

True, it is not falling apart and there certainly seems to be more optimism about the economy than any time in recent years.

It is good to have some growth, but 2% is still really underperforming for a nation of our size and at our state of development. We should really be looking to upwards of 5% on a consistent basis. Let us hope that Omar does not "run with it" again and set us back another 5 years.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Balanced article? Right, Lazie?

Aside: It was interesting to see the progress made on the North Coast Highway -the section from Ocho Rios to Falmouth is almost complete.

In the last week of August I drove the South Coast section (Negril through to Spanish Town) and although there was much improvement the lack of signs, even for me...someone who 'lived' on those roads for years,hadme in a fix...as the face of the various country towns/villages had changed...hell? ...many new clusters of homes and commercial buildings had sprung up...

...had me sweating on the possibility that I had taken a wrong turn. For Example, on going through Little London in Westmoreland I passed many a former 'well known spot' and did not even recognise same...coming down from Potsdam (Munro) through all those villages through to Nain...many were the times I thought I had gone off the former well travelled path. Cho man...wi need di sign dem bad-bad. mmmm? I wonder how our visitors fare?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

One thing about the article is it is very loose on actual statistic.

While there are some positives, it is nothing to jump about just yet.

GDP need to grow, Interest rate for business needs to be lower

Debt per GDP need to be a lot lower

And it must be a lot easier to start a business, get a land title or a birth certificate and for Jamaicans overseas to bring in capital.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well, based on the data being presented on Real Business we can only hope that the trend up will improve.

One has to also consider that the mass construction due to the upcoming World Cup is also a factor. The tourism figures that I see on the BOJ site looks good. Dem just need fi clean up the crime and hopefully more will come.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Tourism may only be temporary as Mexico get back on stream. I hope we can build on it still.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Islandman (12/22/2006)True, it is not falling apart and there certainly seems to be more optimism about the economy than any time in recent years.

It is good to have some growth, but 2% is still really underperforming for a nation of our size and at our state of development. We should really be looking to upwards of 5% on a consistent basis. Let us hope that Omar does not "run with it" again and set us back another 5 years.
              Mutty was not making reference to the economic data, he recited the poem "Thing fall apart!" due to themalaria outbreak and the possible lepto outbreak in St. Mary. What Geoff Brown must do is call Mutty and the 2 a dem guh at it.

Comment

I am convinced that if we bring crime down toa reasonable level for theCaribbean and some more improvement in infrastructure (quite a bit has been done with the roads, etc) the JTB would notneed to advertise , except for maybe special events. Our problem would be not enough rooms and flights.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

True that. Mi naah rain pon the parade. It appears that this will be best year under this gov't. However, I won't jump and prance as all this seems to be happening with an election around the corner. I've never been caught by the 3 cyard man .... don't intend to now.

Comment

*THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED DUE TO SHEER IGNORANCE*
                    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

T.K., I think yuh want to delete that Rent a Dread post. Thats not what the Rent A Dread industry is about.

Comment

they could advertise but to the spanish and Asian market. Those are growing fast.

if you notice the Spanish speaking countries in the caribbean and central America tourism are growing leaps and bound on a yearly basis.

Comment

Lazie (12/22/2006)T.K., I think yuh want to delete that Rent a Dread post. Thats not what the Rent A Dread industry is about.
                          Lazie....is what de r*ss youa tell mi?- T.K.
                          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Yes they are growing fast and they are also becoming very popular for vacation homes and retirement communities. I hear real estate in places like Costa Rica has skyrocketted because of this trend.

Cuba is still the wild card, we don't know what will be different after Castro. I suspect it will open up slowly but with the govt still in firm control.

Comment

Trust me ... delete or edit the post. Mi know wha yuh a try say .. but the Rent a Dread thing ..... totally different.

Comment

Working...
                              X