New crime bills vs civil rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New crime bills vs civil rights

THE National Democratic Movement (NDM) says it is concerned that the proposed crime bills will deprive ordinary Jamaicans of their civil liberties in the name of crime fighting.

“Instead of these proposed draconian measures aimed at deterring crime, the NDM is of the view that the country will be better served if the security force is equipped with the technological capabilities to identify and capture these offenders,” the party said in a news release.

The NDM said that the main problem remains that offenders are not being caught.

“What is therefore needed is more investment into the means of apprehending the criminals and ensuring that when these perpetrators are caught there is sufficient forensic evidence to secure prosecution and conviction,” the NDM said.

The party cited lack of political will, shortfall in police personnel, inadequate use of technology and perceived corruption as more urgent priorities, rather than giving our security forces more power.

The NDM said it believes in intelligent and purposeful policing to arrest and deter criminals with minimum abuse of civil rights.

“The NDM believes that before these bills are passed by Parliament a major public education effort should be undertaken to enlighten the ordinary citizens of Jamaica on the implications and possible negative impact of these proposed draconian laws on their daily lives,” the party said.

Parliament is debating on the six anti-crime bills — an act to amend the Bail Act; and an act to make interim provision extending the powers of arrest and detention under Sections 50B and 50F of the Constabulary Force Act, along with an act to further amend the Firearms Act; an act to amend the Offences Against the Person Act; an act to amend the Parole Act and an act to make interim provision in relation to the grant of bail in specified circumstances.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...s-civil-rights
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

i differ it is not that they are not being caught...is the difficlty prosecuting them...witnesses, evidence ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yet people are saying this thing should be fast-tracked thru parliament!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well i am not advocating fast track..BUT given the time that it has been around, the debate should be of substance and not given to generalizations.

instead of saying "we need to protect civil rights" they should be saying "the language in section X () sub section () is vague, ambiguous, too wide..etc."

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

wha you call Fast track? 3 years?

The PNP them just a stall all the way. IF they wanted to do something then come up with their own and debate it.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            well i am not advocating fast track..BUT given the time that it has been around, the debate should be of substance and not given to generalizations.

instead of saying "we need to protect civil rights" they should be saying "the language in section X () sub section () is vague, ambiguous, too wide..etc."
            isn't that sort of minutiae for resolution in committee...as opposed to the press?
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

true!

in my view, the PNP has stalled their passage, while on the other hand, I believe the JLP has not been flexible about them.

but we do need to discuss details at this point and put it behind us.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

see post elsewhere in this thread.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  true!

in my view, the PNP has stalled their passage, while on the other hand, I believe the JLP has not been flexible about them.

but we do need to discuss details at this point and put it behind us.
                  neither side has much honour in this...but tribalists on either side will certainly claim their tribe has some moral high ground on the matter

it's just anedda politricks game by JLPNP

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

The crime situation in Jamaica warrants some type of draconian legislation. I don't believe there is any other way. Jamaicans just need to ask themselves how much they want to live in a peaceful society. Personally, I would swap some civil liberties for a less violent society for myself and my children.

Imagine what Jamaica could be with a third or quarter of the crime?

Comment

not necessarily...some of that would take place but then when it is presented before parlaiment whether in amended for or otherwise for a vote, then each parlaimnetarian having received an advanced copy will get a chane to comment on it, those debates can be helpful.

Comment

boring?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          i differ it is not that they are not being caught...is the difficlty prosecuting them...witnesses, evidence ....
                          ...NDM suggestion addresses the 'evidence'. They are correct. Irrefutable evidence gathered will spell 'the death' of more of these criminals. Reliance on witnesses would not be so much of a factor...I believe!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The NDM said that the main problem remains that offenders are not being caught.

Comment

Originally posted by MissLondon View Post
                              The crime situation in Jamaica warrants some type of draconian legislation. I don't believe there is any other way. Jamaicans just need to ask themselves how much they want to live in a peaceful society. Personally, I would swap some civil liberties for a less violent society for myself and my children.

Legislation in and of itself is often a waste...it is the actions by those who must apply selves on gathering intelligence, evidence and effect arrest that is where concrete actions lie.

Hey we have laws...great laws to deal with gun criminals, tiefin and government representatives, officers, workers...etc. but those who must ensure the police force have all the necessary tools - cash, training, equipment and oversight/management fall down on the job!

Wah mi seh?

...thoughtful, committed citizens can change our Jamaica crime situation ....and give us back a peaceful, 'crime-free country'. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever can."
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X