Happy 100th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 100th!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Happy 100th!</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>HM Queen Elizabeth, Deleveland hail centenarian Icey Doris Rodgers</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>By PAT ROXBOROUGH-WRIGHT Editor-at-Large/Western Bureau
    Thursday, December 21, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>DELVELAND, Westmoreland -
    Queen Elizabeth the second, Britain's Monarch, on Tuesday headed a line of dignitaries and other members of this rural community who celebrated the 100th birthday of Icey Doris Rodgers.
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>"I am so pleased to celebrate your one hundredth birthday on 19th December, 2006. I send my congratulations and best wishes to you on such a special occasion," read the greeting card under the queen's signature, which arrived by post to Rodgers' home in Delveland on Monday.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=330 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>OUT OF MANY ONE PEOPLE. Icey Doris Rodgers (seated centre) is visibly pleased to be flanked by her daughter, grand and great grand children. Standing (from left to right) are Bianca Fedele, great granddaughter; Matthew King, great grandson; April King, great granddaughter; Jordanne King great granddaughter; Lora DeSimio, great granddaughter and Dario DeSimio, great grandson. Seated from left to right are Deborah Grant, granddaughter; 'Grace' Jackson, daughter; Icey Doris Rodgers; Carol DeSimio, granddaughter and Nicole Hilton, granddaughter. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Governor general Sir Kenneth Hall also sent his greetings to the new centenarian.
    A robust Rodgers, radiant in a pretty floral dress, was elated by the attention being showered on her by the community, her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, who turned up to celebrate the occasion at her home.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I feel good having them all around me like this," she said in reference to her offspring - many of whom who flew in from Italy, Switzerland, the United States to attend the celebration, which had been planned months before.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The children were also very excited to be around her. "We've been looking forward to this for a long time... If ever there was a family that represented the Jamaican motto - 'Out of Many One People' - this is it," said April King, her great granddaughter.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The family's roots go back to the days when Rodgers, who worked as a chamber maid in the tourism industry here and abroad, bore a son for a son of the Jamaican plantocracy. He married a Swiss woman.
    Yesterday, Rodgers, a bit of a jetsetter, told the OBSERVER WEST that she was very satisfied with the way her life turned out.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"If I could change anything, I would probably live in another country," she said smiling. "But now I don't really want to go anywhere else. This is my home," she added.
    The St Paul's Anglican Church, of which Rodgers is a member, also paid tribute through a citation.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"The attainment of 100 years is indeed an outstanding achievement. Madam, we feel awed to be in your presence... It is indeed a rare feat... even more so when we consider your remarkable physical condition after 100 years... It is with a deep sense of recognition to your duty, particularly in the financial sphere," read the citation.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Your life of so many spheres has reinforced the fact that there are loving, caring Jamaicans around who are willing to give desirous to share and eager to contribute to the church and individuals the blessings God has bestowed upon you," continued the citation, which was penned by Maisie Campbell, principal of the Little London
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Happy 100th!

See must have been a real 'looker' in her earlier days...come to think of it? ...she is still a real 'looker'. Beautiful lady!

Congratulations, mam!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X