X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacrificing principle for expediency

Published: Sunday Gleaner | June 6, 2010

THE EDITOR, Sir:

I read Martin Henry's contribution to Monday's Gleaner (May 31, 2010) titled: 'Seaga, Golding, Tivoli', and felt compelled to express a view I've held firmly for some time. I have always held Martin's independence of thought, clarity of expression and intellectual rigour in high regard, and expect that many of our young do as well - so I feel bound to make the following observations:
    Where principle is sacrificed on the altar of expediency (or practicality), those who do so embark on a slippery slope to certain peril.
    I submit that Jamaica has been on this slope for some time and have descended rapidly to the bottom of the hill.
    The reason more developed democracies demand acts rather than words of atonement is that this is what nourishes, sustains and protects a culture of accountability among their leaders - in all spheres of life. It is this culture which weighs so heavily so as to help constrain leaders who would otherwise collude to circumvent the best-laid rules and strictures set up to ensure good governance.
    We call for Prime Minister Bruce Golding to step down in order that we can begin as a country the 'heavy lifting' of turning the page on a type of governance which says all but our leaders can be held truly accountable for their actions. Try as we may, it cannot be overlooked that a sitting prime minister sanctioned efforts to frustrate bringing an alleged criminal to justice - and sought to cover it up (never mind all the other issues on the periphery). If the page is not to be turned here, then where?
    Yes, Martin, I agree that former Prime Minister Edward Seaga's outburst (continued denials of tunnels and all) rings so hollow as to render his call for Bruce's head unworthy of note. And, yes, Bruce has been waiting in the wings for some time. And, yes, he has articulated a vision for our country which the well-thinking among us share. However, given the variance between word and action recently uncovered, shall we keep our fingers crossed and trust that this will not recur among our leaders? Or do we begin to create a culture of accountability in our governance and depend on this to prevent such a recurrence?
    History teaches us that there is a watershed moment in the life of societies that have undergone transformation, which was seized by citizens - who now enjoy the fruits of their courage.
    I am, etc., Robert Boothe

I agree but I would like to ask all who think like him has the PNP or anyone espoused views or reasons why they should govern with any conviction that the voting public would feel comfortable with ?

It cannot be that the PNP mandate to govern was achieved by an inept corrupt JLP, wasnt that the reason john public voted out the PNP have they said, they have and will change esp in the so called garrison department ? At least we have a party that will move mountains to do good by the people to hold onto power, not one that will do good by its tribal constiuents.

Granted in doing so they still might be failures.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      I agree but I would like to ask all who think like him has the PNP or anyone espoused views or reasons why they should govern with any conviction that the voting public would feel comfortable with ?

It cannot be that the PNP mandate to govern was achieved by an inept corrupt JLP, wasnt that the reason john public voted out the PNP have they said, they have and will change esp in the so called garrison department ? At least we have a party that will move mountains to do good by the people to hold onto power, not one that will do good by its tribal constiuents.

If Jamaica's position was a physics experiment...it would be described as a quantum singularity...no good solution exists for the problem these JLPNP politicians have created
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Always a solution...just not there yet...maybe quantum singularity can't describe all things...

Or were you using the term in this context?
        Source: Urban Dictionary.

1.quantum singularity buy quantum singularity mugs, tshirts and magnets
        ass, on the xbox fourms when you type in ass insted of it showing up as *** like most "bad" words it is replaced with the words quantum singularity
        xXxX MLG XxXx wrote-
        you know what this game is realy bad

You wrote-
        I bet you like it up the quantum singularity ?

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post

X?
          ...yuh grow innah good house! ...why are you now being blinded to other alternatives out there? ...your Mom would not be pleased with the narrow point you hold.

You have said repeatedly that a Golding resignation or removal means PNP Government. Is that the only course if Golding is removed? Cho, man...all your life you have been taught by word and action...given your own reign to question and look at things as you would even your first toy...turn it around, look at it from all sides, rip the insides out...etc., etc...never to like the blind men mentioned who all felt an elephant from one vantage point only...but with your eyes see the complete animal...

The JLP is mandated by the voters to remain in power for 5 years. How many have gone by thus far? ...sure a snap election is a possibility...but it sure as hell is not the only possibility.

...and just to remind you, my preference is, Likle BRUCIE out and the JLP serving its full term. I remind you...What man has done, man can better do!

I hope to GOD that whichever PM we get after Likle Brucie by words and deeds put all those we have had before to shame by might of the good deeds he/she does. ...and that is not asking too much as we can surely see where the sum of the actions of those who went before have us where we currently find ourselves!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

after karl's answer below, i will not add nutten else odda dan seh, bruce resignation nuh mean the resignation of the jlp...

bruce must resign and mek de country move forward...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

LoL!
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Good point ,if he does resign you think the JLP has the political will to de garrisonise Jamaica or continue with lip service by an alternative leader?

I think not and that is Jamaicas primary objective at this juncture of our lives.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                X