X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Mom

Mom happy son stayed away

Published: Sunday | June 6, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Soldiers keep order as residents of Tivoli Gardens and Denham Town queue up to receive food and other supplies distributed by the Salvation Army. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Mel Cooke, Gleaner Writer
    "Is the one boy I have and if him get involved in anything, I have to get involved too. I tell him to live straight and follow my footstep."
    Ann Brown moved into Tivoli Gardens about 20 years ago with her family - her husband and four children.
    Brianis the only boy and the oldest of the quartet, all of whom have now moved 'uptown', as they have grown up and started working.
    Brian, now 40 years old, was in the prime years to go astray when the family moved into Tivoli, but Brown set the order - her order - right away.
    "Them say me spoil him, because me always keep him in. So him don't get involved in anything, just grow him like a little spoilt child," she said.
    "Is the one boy I have and if him get involved in anything, I have to get involved too. I tell him to live straight and follow my footstep, because I don't get involved," Brown said firmly.
    "Him listen. Him listen," she said, nodding grimly. "Me tell him jus' stay inna my boundary. Stay inna my eyesight. Don't go unless you going out a road (out of the community)."
    Left the nest
    Brian went through the all-age school system and went on to learn masonry, soon going out on his own.
    Brown says: "Him no really come down here. Him prefer stay uptown. Me go look for him. Me prefer them (all her children) stay uptown and me go look for them. Me no want them come down here an' get involved, even before this."
    Brown lost a nephew, with whom she was close, in the conflict.
    "Me glad Brian wasn't down here. A whole heap a innocent people get caught up in this thing. Me glad. The mercy of God keep me alive. Cause me tell you, it never pretty, it never pretty, it never pretty.
    "All me family call me say me must come out; me say me can't come out leave me things. The mercy of God will keep me. Me no waan see nutten like this happen again. Me no tink me woulda stay at all. Me no tink me woulda stay at all," Brown said.
    "Look how much man dem kill in front of them mother, an dem ting deh? Dem jus' come wid a revenge, yu hear, man." Then she starts crying. "Dem say more to come. Dem say it no done yet, after we go through dis. A mussi God a go come nex'," she said.
Working...
X