• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different side of Coke !

News
    A close-up view of 'Dudus'
    From Tivoli ‘don’ to accused international drug lord

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Journalist Tino Geddes, who has frequented Tivoli Gardens for many years, gives a personal account of the rise of Christopher 'Dudus' Coke from a modest community 'don' to the international figure described by United States authorities as one of the most dangerous drug and arms dealers in the world today.

DESCRIBED by Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin, a former head of the Jamaica Defence Force, who later became commissioner of police, as the "Mother of all Garrisons", Tivoli Gardens has been the most feared inner-city community in Jamaica for the past five decades.

DUDUS… not a run of the mill ordinary Joe, looking to make some money and in search of power

DUDUS… not a run of the mill ordinary Joe, looking to make some money and in search of power

1/1
    Official crime statistics show that virtually no crimes are committed in Tivoli Gardens, although its best known residents are regarded as the most dangerous and ruthless persons in Jamaica. Such is the fear of the Tivoli 'dons' that blanket assurances can be given for the security of any person's property or life in the community on their say-so.

The world famous Wednesday night street dance "Passa Passa" is a classic example of this. Patrons are assured that if they leave their vehicles open and unmanned these will not be interfered with. This has held true since the inception of the event seven years ago.

Tivoli is a self-sufficient community, boasting schools, churches, a variety of shops, a state-of-the-art maternity and pre-natal clinic, tailor and barber shops, hairdressers, dressmakers, bars and food shops, shoemakers and an assortment of playfields.

The community is adjacent to the Coronation Market (now being rebuilt after being gutted during the ongoing unrest), and opposite the famed Miles Pharmacy which offers anything from prescription and over-the-counter drugs to good luck books and candles, fresh bread and even bar services.

It required someone of real and rare vision to conceptualise this community, and a special breed of men to maintain it.

Starting with Zackie, the 'High Priest', followed by Claudie 'Jack' Massop, then for a short while Carl 'Bya' Mitchell, through Lester Lloyd 'Jim Brown' Coke, to his son Anthony 'Jah T' Coke and now on-the-run Christopher 'Dudus' Coke.

During the reign of the successive dons, there has always been a cadre of feared men 'upside' them. Zackie had a young Claudie Massop; 'Bobeye', who later became known as Jim Brown; Alvin George Gordon, 'Micky Jacques' and Desmond Paige, who was charged along with Gordon for one of the earliest politically motivated gun slayings back in the late 1960s.
    Jim Brown was supported by Micky Jacques, George Dinall 'Rock', Donovan Jones, one of two enforcers called 'Left Hand', 'Hunch', and a host of others.

Jah T's reign ran concurrently with his father's, as Jim Brown died on February 23, 1992, the same day Jah T was buried. It was decided after the death of the elder Coke that adopted son, Christopher 'Dudus' would take over.

He had no shortage of lieutenants, and unlike his father, he shied away from publicity and attention. Jim Brown, chief enforcer for the feared Shower Posse, would occasionally showcase an awesome array of jewellery and silk clothing, while Dudus always dressed modestly.

They were dissimilar in other respects as Jim was a tall, imposing figure, with a sharp wit and an always ready, swift and often brutal response to adversity, while Dudus stands no taller than five feet seven inches and speaks softly, and only when necessary.

Dudus inherited a kingdom, handed down from the mainly US-based Shower Posse, and took it to another level. Once installed as head of Tivoli, Dudus ensured that politics would be no barrier to his organisation.

Persons deported from the US and the United Kingdom with only their shirts on their backs and pockets devoid of cash, could find a measure of comfort from Coke, who would ensure that all their overseas contacts were preserved, and utilised.

As a result, Coke was not seen as just the leader of Tivoli Gardens, but indeed the leader of all inner-city communities.

Media reports which claimed that Dudus often met with Matthews Lane strongman 'Zeeks' Phipps are incorrect.

Dudus would only see Phipps if Phipps came to Tivoli, and then only reluctantly would he have audience. He never saw himself on the same page as Zeeks and made that abundantly clear.

Dudus always kept himself in shape, playing hours of football in his kingdom. He also kept himself well-informed about current affairs and persons in the news.

I have met with Dudus on several occasions, always in Tivoli, and I know quite a bit about how he thinks about local public opinion.

I recall taking a curious television behind-the-scenes personality to meet "The President", and he was shocked that at the first mention of his name, Dudus was able to pinpoint his job position at the television station.

This was always the man: shrewed, informed, confident, unassuming and quiet but exuding an air of capability that would put anyone on alert.
    This is Christopher 'Dudus' Coke.

I clearly remember his anger, suppressed though it was, when policemen were killed, apparently in retaliation for the police shooting the day before of 'Chris Royal' Coke, another relative.

He had no hesitation in advising the security forces who wished to interview him, about his whereabouts and the time when he would be in various places. He had nothing to do with those killings and thus, had nothing to fear.

He always felt that he had an obligation to the Tivoli community and he provided for the residents.

Labelled a criminal fugitive at the time of writing, Dudus may be all that he is made out to be by the US authorities, but he has always been a caring person, just as his predecessors were.

No matter what, as the residents of Tivoli Gardens maintain, they are prepared to die for the man, do anything for him, and display what seems by all accounts to be a genuine affection for him, not born from his generosity, but from his concern for them.

Dudus is not a run of the mill ordinary Joe, looking to make some money and in search of power. He has never been and he will never be regarded by those who have known him, in that light.

I have personally known all the previous 'dons' of Tivoli Gardens. I had a special affection for Massop; I was closely involved with Bya; I watched Jah T go through high school at Wolmer's; I was particularly close to Jim Brown, and although not as close to Dudus as I was to his father, the younger Coke has commanded my respect.

Having no way of communicating with him, I can only hope that, somehow, though highly unlikely, something positive will work out for him.
    Last edited by Karl; June 6, 2010, 12:51 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

The New Tivoli
    JLP Officials have high hopes that battled-scarred enclave will become middle-class neighourhood
    By HG HELPS Editor-at-Large helpsh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, June 06, 2010

var addthis_pub="jamaicaobserver";

TOP Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) officials have high hopes for the new Tivoli Gardens that will emerge from the post-Dudus era which ended in bloody clashes that left close to 80 people dead, by police records.
    The West Kingston enclave will become a middle-class community, predicted Andrew Holness, one of six senior JLP personalities interviewed by the Sunday Observer,.

HOLNESS… I think the people of Tivoli will change their attitudes and embrace a new vision that Jamaica will ultimately be proud to embrace
    VAZ… regardless of what has been said about Tivoli Gardens, the kind of foresight and infrastructure that have been put in over the last 40- odd years is commendable
    TUFTON… I would like to see a Tivoli where the people are prosperous, where there is no perception that continues to plague them that they are a community engaged in all sorts of mysterious activities
    MULLINGS… Tivoli's strength in sport must be placed at the forefront of any push to improve the area
    SAMUDA… optimistic that Tivoli Gardens will eventually become a model of development to be copied
    CHANG… thinks Tivoli will be able to shrug off some of the stigma that has stalled its growth over the years
    BARTLETT… the initial perception of Tivoli Gardens was to have a garden coming out of a slum

HOLNESS… I think the people of Tivoli will change their attitudes and embrace a new vision that Jamaica will ultimately be proud to embrace

1/7

"I think that at the end of the day, Tivoli will emerge as a middle-class community with middle-class values and social attitudes," said Holness, the education minister and member of parliament for West Central St Andrew.
    "It will take some time. It may not be for another decade or so, but once the State makes its resolve clear, I think the people of Tivoli will change their attitudes and embrace a new vision that Jamaica will ultimately be proud to embrace," said Holness, a party rising star and leader of government business in the House of Representatives.
    Holness shared the view of other stalwarts and members of parliament Karl Samuda, Dr Chris Tufton, Clive Mullings, Dr Horace Chang, Daryl Vaz and Dr St Aubyn Bartlett, who believe that all is definitely not lost for the community.
    They spoke candidly about their vision for a better Tivoli Gardens, hoping for a community that will shrug off the stigma of violence and the Christopher 'Dudus' Coke factor.
    Alleged drug lord Coke is wanted by police to face an extradition hearing that could result in him being sent to the United States to face trial on drug- and gun-trafficking charges.
    The community, regarded as trhe JLP's power base, had been called various names, ranging from the 'Mother of all Garrisons' by former army chief Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin, to 'Modern-day Back-a-Wall', the latter a reference to the name by which it was popularly called before former prime minister and MP for West Kingston Edward Seaga transformed the area.
    The community has produced bright and impressive scholars, but the areas of culture and sport allow it to stand out like a beacon.
    United States national basketball great Patrick Ewing, who spent most of his playing life representing the New York Knicks, remains the most famous find of West Kingston, as he was born on Bond Street.
    "Yeah man, I was born at Bond Street, but I have not gone back there since I was a kid," Ewing told the Sunday Observer in an interview several years ago, while conducting a summer camp for youngsters in Negril.
    It is that level of brilliance in sport, added to other achievements, that Holness is basing his prediction on.
    JLP General Secretary Karl Samuda, the minister of industry and commerce, who is also member of parliament for North Central St Andrew, is optimistic that Tivoli Gardens will eventually become a model of development to be copied.
    "I would like to see Tivoli Gardens be given an opportunity to achieve all the objectives that were set for it when it was first conceived and constructed," he said. "In other words, all the infrastructure — for instance health-care facilities, provisions for training young people, educating the youngsters, development of cultural activities, which they have excelled in, in a very considerable way in the past."
    "Also, in the area of sports where the young can engage in sports activities without any fear of any kind of interruption, where the society is one where they welcome persons from outside and where they interact with their neighbours, where they engage in the development of industry, for instance, where you can have trade training centres established for the youth to prepare them," Samuda added.
    Agriculture Minister Dr Chris Tufton, who, like Holness, is highly regarded by party supporters as a potential leader of the JLP, is also firm in his belief that much more positives can emerge from a reformed Tivoli Gardens.
    "I would like to see a Tivoli where the people are prosperous, where there is no perception that continues to plague them that they are a community that is engaged in all sorts of mysterious activities," the MP for South West St Elizabeth said.
    "That has been a perception for a long time and I think they deserve better. There are a lot of law-abiding, hard-working people there. I've been there several times and I think one of the things I would love to see, going into the future, is that Jamaica views the community as a peace-loving, law-abiding community with citizens who work for their living rather than a community which has been viewed frequently as one that is not lawful.
    "That perception needs to change, and I'd love to see that change so that they can feel like any other community across the country," Tufton said.
    Former mining and energy minister Clive Mullings, the MP for West Central St James, is also optimistic that better will come for the embattled community.
    Mullings, who was largely quiet before his stout defence of Prime Minister Bruce Golding during last Wednesday's no-confidence motion tabeld in Parliament by the Opposition, said that Tivoli's strength in sport must be placed at the forefront of any push to improve the area.
    "I believe that Tivoli Gardens ought to be fashioned along the lines of a modern space for creative and sporting excellence. This would have the effect of bringing about a sense of renaissance and will help to erase the psychological scarring.
    "This would encourage greater interaction of uptown and downtown and reduce any sense of isolation that may be felt by the residents," said Mullings.
    For his part, Water and Housing Minister Dr Horace Chang, a deputy leader of the JLP who has made the constituency of North West St James virtually his own, thinks that Tivoli will be able to shrug off some of the stigma that has stalled its growth over the years.
    "Tivoli Gardens was originally conceptualised as a model of urban renewal, which should have been extended to neighbouring communities like Denham Town, Fletcher's Land and surrounding communities, reflecting better quality housing, infrastructure, and a creative and dynamic social lifestyle, with access to quality education," Dr Chang recalled.
    "That really is what we should have for all areas of urban decay, and what I'd like to see is that restored in Tivoli, where the physical infrastructure really needs to be repaired, and therefore provide a true model of what can be extended to other areas, of course without all the alleged criminal attachments that are there," said Dr Chang, a medical practitioner by profession.
    Information Minister Daryl Vaz is insisting that criminality must be curtailed if Tivoli Gardens is to make significant improvement.
    Vaz, MP for West Portland, also believes that the State must focus on redeveloping the community in order to allow it to reach its true potential.
    "What I'd like to see for Tivoli is for the community to get on top of the criminal elements inside Tivoli Gardens and elsewhere, allowing for the innocent people who reside in these areas to live better," said Vaz. "Now, to a large extent they have been held hostage, not only in Tivoli Gardens, but across Jamaica, because of the fear of persons perceived to be dons or being involved in criminal activities.
    "Regardless of what has been said about Tivoli Gardens, the kind of foresight and infrastructure that have been put in over the last 40-odd years is commendable in terms of the housing facilities, schools, police station, clinic, etc.
    "A large number of persons in those areas are not part of the tax roll and therefore there is a feeling that they should not get the attention in terms of basic infrastructure, water, light, sewerage, etc. It has been rundown because of lack of upgrading and maintenance. So it is going to require a full implementation of projects in terms of what we consider inner-city communities," Vaz said.
    Tivoli Gardens must reach a stage where it can be rated on par with other communities across Jamaica, MP for Eastern St Andrew Dr St Aubyn Bartlett suggested.
    Bartlett, younger brother of Tourism Minister Ed Bartlett, argued that the uptown/downtown divide that has affected the community must be tossed aside moving forward.
    "The initial perception of Tivoli Gardens was to have a garden coming out of a slum. What has happened over the years is that it has fallen short of being a garden, and I would love to see a situation where Tivoli Gardens becomes one of the regular or normal communities in Jamaica and looking as well as the rest of the uptown communities look," he said.
    "So when individuals say that they are from Tivoli Gardens, they can be looked at with more respect and not with fear," the veterinary surgeon said.
    Holness believes that Edward Seaga's original vision of Tivoli was hijacked: "Along the way that vision, that dream was hijacked by many occurrences, not to mention the main problem, of course, which was the political instability of the area.
    "What we have today is a situation where the criminal network stands alongside the political structures... But Tivoli Gardens now has a chance to go back to its original social engineering vision, which is to transform the standard of living, quality of life from a slum into a total community that caters for all the welfare and the well-being of all its residents, removing from it the business of enforcing an exclusive political domain and expanding the horizon of choice for its residents," said Holness.
    "The challenge still remains because right around it the same structures of enforcement and narrowing of choices still exist, so my vision for Tivoli is that it will become the beacon to those communities, to show them that there is another way of living without relying on this business of dons and enforcers and garrisons to protect them," he said.
    Holness, too, wants one of the symbols of the area, the Coronation Market, to be improved.
    The market was torched and extensively damaged during the security forces' offensive to restore stability to the community and flush out Dudus and gunmen loyal to him.
    "Tivoli and West Kingston are built around the market. It is the main market in the island and I would like to see that market rebuilt substantially to be the pride of place of the Caribbean," said Holness.
    "If that is done, political problems that they are experiencing now in terms of unemployment and delinquency would be dealt with because the market is the source of economic activity and quite a bit of social events take place in that area.
    "Another thing that needs to be done is the improvement of the social infrastructure there."
    Veteran politician Samuda remains convinced that if all the right medicines are served to the ailing community, Tivoli Gardens would not only make a full recovery, but would strengthen itself and become a good example to be emulated...
    "So I am talking about the development of Tivoli Gardens, both from internally and externally so that people from outside can come to appreciate the cultural strength of Tivoli Gardens and Tivoli Gardens residents can feel free to interact with their neighbours, without any threat or fear of reprisals because of any activities that may involve persons from adjoining communities that are not of the same political persuasion," said Samuda.
    "What I would love to see is a total interaction of all persons in the adjoining communities with Tivoli Gardens, because only by doing that can the real qualities of Tivoli Gardens be fully appreciated by all...
    "I'd love to see the stigma that has been attached to Tivoli Gardens removed, where people don't see Tivoli Gardens as a place that supports gunmanship and violent behaviour, but rather as a friendly, open community that welcomes all who wish to enter and to participate with them," he said.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I hope that he gets a chance to tell 'His Story". Ah MJ!

Comment

what are the views of PNP MPs?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

then give him the OD before shipping him off!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Listen to hogwash!!!! There lies the root of the problem:

VAZ… regardless of what has been said about Tivoli Gardens, the kind of foresight and infrastructure that have been put in over the last 40- odd years is commendable
            TUFTON… I would like to see a Tivoli where the people are prosperous, where there is no perception that continues to plague them that they are a community engaged in all sorts of mysterious activities
            MULLINGS… Tivoli's strength in sport must be placed at the forefront of any push to improve the area
            SAMUDA… optimistic that Tivoli Gardens will eventually become a model of development to be copied
            CHANG… thinks Tivoli will be able to shrug off some of the stigma that has stalled its growth over the years
            BARTLETT… the initial perception of Tivoli Gardens was to have a garden coming out of a slum

Comment

FROM MATH WHIZ TO WANTED

Published: Sunday | June 6, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

A young Coke

Christopher 'Dudus' Coke

1 2 >

Tyrone Reid, Sunday Gleaner Reporter
              AS A young student at Ardenne High School in the mid-1980s, Christopher 'Dudus' Coke was his math teacher's delight. He was a quiet one who sat at the back of the class while turning out impressive homework and test grades.
              Coke, who attended Ardenne between 1981 and 1986, never willingly raised his hand to answer questions, and when he was called upon, he politely declined the teacher's behest.
              But test after test, he gradually became one of the math teacher's favourites, and he was ushered into a select group of students who were seen as math geniuses, and were specially prepared to sit the subject at the CXC level by fourth form.
              Coke and many of the others in the group were rewarded with grade one passes.
              Math was one of the few subjects that intrigued Coke. Religious Education was the only other. The young man was scoring in the 80s with RE, but was flunking almost all other courses and had an inconsistent record of attendance.
              Administrators at Ardenne High told The Sunday Gleaner that students' records were confidential and could not be released.
              However, our news team was able to access Coke's past reports from other sources.
              While he consistently performed well at RE, Coke's overall average declined steadily, as he moved from first to fifth form in all other subjects.
              Available documents show that Coke started grade 10 doing eight subjects but ended the year doing only five.
              However, Coke had a strong commitment to mathematics and was highly motivated by a teacher of the subject who seemed to have captured his attention.
              Hard to forget
              The teacher told The Sunday Gleaner that it would be hard for him to forget Coke because he was among the first group of fourth-form students he prepared to sit the regional exam in a year, under the ambit of a special programme at Ardenne.
              The teacher, whose name is being withheld, insisted that no member of that class failed the exams and recalled that the boys in the batch did particularly well.
              Despite being born into a family led by crime boss Lester Lloyd 'Jim Brown' Coke, which included the feared gangster Mark Anthony 'Jah T' Coke, Coke stayed out of trouble during his years in secondary school.
              Ardenne then, and up to now, is a highly sought-after high school in St Andrew. The institution, born out of the Church of God in Jamaica, has a sterling reputation for academic excellence.
              The math teacher remembered Coke as one of his elite batch, picked at the end of the ninth grade.
              Having breezed through CXC math Coke tackled the dreaded additional mathematics (add math) in Grade 11 and scored a Grade B - the second-highest mark.
              "Math is the only universal language, and he spoke it very fluently," the teacher reminisced. "I taught him for five years straight. Basically, he was the model student; very quiet, and there were no problems in terms of discipline," said the educator who started teaching in 1976.
              "He was a bright fellow, very well behaved. There was no two ways about the behaviour. At least, I can say he was a bright mathematics student."
              The young Coke was a man of few words, the math teacher recalled.
              "I can't remember him ever asking a question in class. He never volunteered to come to the board. When called upon, he would decline respectfully."
              Because Coke did not say much, it was difficult to tell if he was grasping the lessons; but the marking of homework assignments and grading of tests were what proved to Coke's teacher that the lad was learning.
              On one of the rare occasions Coke broke his code of silence, the teacher remembered him sharing with other students his experience with snow overseas.
              "The other students were fascinated by the tale he told," the teacher said.
              Still, the educator did not know who Coke was.
              It was not until years later that the teacher found out that some of Coke's fellow students knew all along that he was from west Kingston's most feared enclave - Tivoli Gardens - where Jim Brown, head of the notorious Shower Posse, ruled with an iron fist.
              Another Ardenne insider told The Sunday Gleaner that during his days at the school, the man now known as the 'President' or 'Bossy' was quite the saint.
              According to the insider, the schoolboy Coke was not a miscreant and was unassuming.
              "He was very quiet (and) was not a troublemaker. And, I don't think anybody knew who he was," the insider said.
              Coke's former math teacher shared that his class was often punctuated by jokes, but while students would laugh at his quips, Coke would only offer quick glances and smiles before burying his head back in his book.
              In addition to being a math whiz, the teacher considered Coke a good footballer, but recalled that he never donned the blue and gold of Ardenne.
              "I figured, probably, the exposure would have been too much for him," the teacher said.
              Chance meeting
              After Coke completed his studies at Ardenne, the teacher's next encounter with the lad he still calls 'Michael' was some seven years later.
              That chance meeting in 1993, which ended shortly after they exchanged pleasantries, was how Coke's former math teacher found out that Michael was the son of the notorious Jim Brown, who was burnt to death in February 1992 in his jail cell while awaiting extradition to the US.
              Several years later, he saw Coke again at another institution where he taught. After dropping off a young man at the school, Coke saw his former teacher and waved to him.
              Unable to make out who was calling to him, the teacher decided to ask the young man who had come out of the car.
              The student, who claimed he was a relative of Coke's, told the teacher that it was the 'President' who was driving.
              After that, the student frequently told the teacher that the 'President' sent his greetings.
              Coke was to become a businessman, heading several ventures in construction and entertainment.
              His quiet, but strong leadership ability has kept him at the helm of a community that seemed overawed by his power.
              He slipped effortlessly into the post left vacant with the death of his father, and appeared equally comfortable with politicians from either side of the divide.
              The United States Department of Justice last year included Coke on that country's list of Consolidated Priority Organisation Targets, which includes the world's most dangerous narcotics kingpins.
              Coke is currently on the run as he tries to avoid possible extradition to the United States to face gun and drug charges.
              The experienced educator suggested that based on his scholastic ability, Coke could have gone on to great things.
              "He had all the ingredients. He would have been something better had it not been for the weight of the crown awaiting him." - tyrone.reid@gleanerjm.com
              • Quiet student
              Gained a distinction in CXC math exam in fourth form

Passed add math in fifth form
              • A Tivoli resident
              A Dudus wi seh same way and dat naw go change. Di world know seh if dem hold him dem a go kill him, so wi understand seh him did affi leave di place .
              • Former teacher
              He had all the ingredients. He would have been something better had it not been for the weight of the crown awaiting him.
              • Clergyman Bobby Wilmot
              He is not a true leader... . A true leader would say 'Here am I', and face the music. If you are the leader, you should protect your people.
              • Former math teacher
              I taught him for five years straight. He was very quiet and there were no problems with discipline ... . Math is the only universal language, and he spoke it very fluently.
              • A senior cop
              Coke runs the most sophisticated drug ring in Jamaica. His network includes thousands of drug couriers travelling across the region, to the US and the UK, providing protection services to persons moving large quantities of narcotics across borders.
              Last edited by Sir X; June 6, 2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

All I know is this guy is an angry man from his adopted father by extension brother were wiped out , he inherited an empire an nuh man caan talk to im.

we reaped what we sowed! tell seaga & bruce fi gu......s.. dem ...mu.... bwoy doesnt he seem like a fryers , just used ..where is the JFJ ?

Comment

Ardenne Principal speaks

Jamaica's tipping point

Published: Sunday | June 6, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Esther Tyson

Esther Tyson, Contributor
                  THE EVENTS of Monday, May 24, and Tuesday, May 25, 2010, are of our own making. The situation in Tivoli Gardens was allowed to develop for more than 40 years. A state seemingly outside of Jamaica's laws and regulations was allowed to exist by succeeding governments. We, the people of this nation, sat by and spoke of Tivoli Gardens in hushed tones and with fear.

This, the "mother of all garrisons", spawned other garrison communities around Jamaica, because in the eyes of the politicians, the pattern seemed to work.
                  So, around our nation, enclaves of the dispossessed are committed to one political party or another, or one don or another, in an effort to gain material benefits which the State has failed to provide them. These communities spawn gangs, which are violent and become breeding grounds for criminals. We have created a monster that is now devouring us.
                  Not only have we allowed this pattern of garrisons to be replicated throughout Jamaica, but we have accepted it to such an extent that it is now acknowledged as a part of our culture. A part of a culture which has accepted that politicians grant dons contracts under the guise of them being building contractors; that dons are so powerful that it was being proposed to bring them to Parliament to broker peace deals; that if you have 'two cents, u affi let aaf pon anodder man'; that anything you can do to earn a money, even if it breaks the law, is fine because 'man affi live'.
                  That 'passa passa' and the like are acceptable forms of entertainment for the young; that mothers can teach their babies, once they can speak, to sing lewd lyrics and gyrate their young bodies to music describing how man must ... them; that obscenity is an acceptable form of expression; that vulgar loud music and pornographic movies can be shown on public transportation to school children; that gun lyrics - once it rhymes - is good music.
                  That to be dissed is a sin worthy of death; that the other great sin is 'informer fi dead'.
                  That the first response in a conflict is violence; that to break the law is fine, as long as you can get away with it; that politicians are expected to be corrupt and the police the same; that morality is a bad word; that decency and manners are colonial vestiges which tie us to our slave past; that freedom of expression in whatever form is the highest good; that sexual immorality no longer exists, apart from homosexuality, since marriage is no longer necessary, with even ministers of government 'shacking up'. The list is unending.
                  Government must be challenged
                  We have come to quite a state. Never again are we to allow our country to come to such a pass. We are at a tipping point in this nation. We, in civil society, must ensure that we tilt this nation in the right direction.
                  The Government must be challenged and held accountable to act on behalf of the nation. It must now put the nation's interest first.
                  The anti-crime laws that need to be passed must be fast-tracked in Parliament. Enough talk, action, 'not a bag a mouth'. The laws governing political campaign funding must be put in place and enforced. In fact, Fae Ellington's proposal that the private sector not contribute scarce funds to such an exercise in grandstanding is an even better plan. A plan needs to be developed to 'degarrisonise' communities supporting the Jamaica Labour Party or the People's National Party.
                  In addition, standards of decency in the public sphere must be established and maintained. We must hold public officials to higher standards of conduct. The crude and vulgar display in Parliament is symptomatic of a culture which accepts vulgarity as the norm. It is embarrassing to watch our elected officials behave in a way which I would not condone in the classroom among students. Am I then to point the students to them to observe their behaviour as an example of what is expected?
                  The effort at having transparency and accountability in public life needs to be made a priority. We see that the USA is now focusing on wealthy Jamaicans who have amassed wealth without a known source. Why aren't there laws in our nation which would have the tax administration enforcing disclosure of such funds and its sources to them? Is it that these persons have bought out our politicians with campaign donations so that their hands and mouths have been committed to them and they have, therefore, been made incapable of acting?
                  Furthermore, there needs to be clear distinctions made in law between the Government and the judiciary so that the politicians, even those in power, cannot use the legal system to further their own agendas. In like manner, the police certainly cannot be allowed to be investigating themselves. There must be a civil body, which even if it does not oversee the process, then certainly should participate in such investigations, not just the Bureau of Special Investigations.
                  I want to commend the brave members of civil society who have been making their voices heard during this traumatic period in our history - persons such as Joseph Matalon, president of the Private Sector Organisation of Jamaica, Carolyn Gomes of Jamaicans for Justice, and the former head of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin.
                  I want to encourage the church leaders who have been speaking out on the state of our nation to continue to do so. I commend Bishop Herro Blair on his attempts to assist the unfortunate citizens of Tivoli.
                  We, however, need more Jamaicans to make their voices heard. We need more Jamaicans whose lives can stand the glare of transparency to stand up and speak up in support of truth and integrity in this nation. Never again are we to be lulled into a state of complacency and fear of politicians and 'bad man'.
                  The Bible says, and Jamaica is a case in point, "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people." Esther Tyson is principal of Ardenne High School, St Andrew. Send feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com.

Comment

let the hero worshipping start.

All Dons are great people, no wonder he is compared to Marcus Garvey.

Fool them.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Now that is the level of reporting I was looking for out of Jamaica, that is some very interesting insight.

Comment

excellent article!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good talk dat !

Hints of action to come..

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                            Listen to hogwash!!!! There lies the root of the problem:

Yup, dem naw trick me again. I believe Andrew Holness the last time that he said this scrap. The bigger the lie, the more people that will believe it but not me this time.
                            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

As usual you miss the point , more homework.

Comment

Working...
                              X