Dancehall's Impact On Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancehall's Impact On Society

Marcia found no direct link between music & deviant behaviour...what she found was that those who are already alienated gravitate to a certain type of music:

http://blip.tv/play/AYG97x8C

People round here like to chat without data
    Last edited by Bricktop; June 6, 2010, 12:30 AM.

She still has to defend the thesis, so do not start quoting from her so soon.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
      She still has to defend the thesis, so do not start quoting from her so soon.
      Old interview...already defended...what now?

Comment

She did say she didn't do a study of dancehall. We need more studies like these published and that can stand the scrutiny of peer review.
        I agree that a lot of comments made about dancehall music have no foundation under the rigours of science. For example it easy for Eastern Caribbean Govts. to ban and blame dancehall music for their own disfunctional subcultures of alienated and rebellious youth who probably gravitate towards the music in their search for a space of their own. Similar to the rise of Rastafarianism, the Hippies, etc. Cause and effect still to be proven.

Comment

She said she didn't study dancehall per say but studied modern music video genres and dancehall consistently came up as the genre most engaging to Jamaican adolescents. She then went onto say she found no direct link between dancehall and deviant behaviour. NO DIRECT LINK. But I am sure people will continue to parrot popular attitudes on this forum!!!!

Comment

you would agree that there remains a lacuna? a dancehall specific study would be required. that is a general statement at best.

did rastafarianism affect reggae music and by extenion affect jamaican culture?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

No gap...the study focused on popular music...she found that Dancehall had the greatest impact on our youth...as far as I can see there is no debate as to effect...the debate focuses on why...if rastafarianism affected reggae then the point is moot...rastfarianism had the affect not the music...

Comment

a series of fallacies....not sure how you concluded that rastafarianism affected the music but that the music did not affect culture given that the music was a medium.... and the same question of "why" would be most intriguing on THIS particular genre.

you do raise on point though on the question of "why" in respect of dancehall, and i think it is deserving of a dancehall specific survey.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  a series of fallacies....not sure how you concluded that rastafarianism affected the music but that the music did not affect culture
                  I didn't conclude that. If rastafarianism affected the music which in turn affected culture, then it is rastafarianism that was the catalyst not the music...rasta didn't come from the music so the culture was affected before the music was...

Comment

We already heard the "why"...your situation in life will affect what music you are drawn to...

Comment

without the music would it have affected the culture in the way that it did?

Comment

There were rastas before "rasta" music right? So the culture was already affected or how dem coulda tun rasta? It wasn't the music that influenced them...

Comment

very trite VERY VERY trite i expect better from you..the music took it to a WIDER audience and made it international even.

Comment

Comment

What? The culture was affected before the music was affected...correct? I mean what are you arguing?

Comment

Working...
                              X