• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Blog from the BBC

There are many positive ones but I find this one interesting

Sex, drugs and no reggae - 5 reasons why I hate Jamaica

Blog: 99 + 1 countries - 21 August 2009
    By: merja
    Usain Bolt might be the world's favorite athlete at the moment but that does not stop me from hating Jamaica. Out of the 55 countries I've been to, Jamaica is the only one where I would not go back unless I got payed to go. (Folks, if you think I'm bragging, I would like to point out that this whole blog is about me trying to travel to a hundred countries. Now that's pretentious.) These are the five reasons to why I hate Jamaica.

1. It started the minute I arrived to my hotel in the God forsaken tourist trap of Montego Bay.
    "You smoke?" The receptionist of the three star hotel asked me.
    "Yeah, I smoke", I replied puffing a Canadian duMaurier and thinking that my life would be a hell of a lot easier if my mother was as dumb as this guy.
    "We give you good price", the receptionist ventured.
    "Uhm", I said, startled, grabbed the key and walked into the above-my-standard room.
    The phone rang.
    "We give you good price. Buy now", said the receptionist.
    "Uhm, no thanks."
    I admit, I was the dumb one. I was in Jamaica after all. I should have guessed what the receptionist meant with "you smoke?".
    From then on the drug dealing began every time I walked in or out of my room. The receptionist kept calling in the mornings and in the evenings. "Good price, good price." After a few days, in order to stop the dude calling my room constantly, I told him that I had bought my **************** from the street ("good price, good price") and did not need his services. After that, there was very little service to be had from this three star hotel.

2. About an hour after leaving my hotel for the first time, I got assaulted. The incident has been described earlier here.

3. Walking back to the hotel from downtown a few hours after the assault a group of men sitting idle started oohing and aahing at me. I tried to pass by as quickly as possible but that was to no avail. Two of them approached.
    "You look very beautiful. Come and sit with us."
    "Uhm, no thanks. I need to get back to my hotel. And my boyfriend wouldn't like it."
    "You are a racist."
    I thought I'd do better if I just walked away, so I kept moving.
    "Racist! You ****************ing racist! You white slut." the wonder boys of logics yelled, making sure that everyone else on the street knew what they thought of me.

4. Going out for an exorbitantly priced beer in one the beach side bars later on I was relieved that finally I was left alone. In fact young men stralling around the bar took no notice of me, the poor student, whatsoever - they seemed to be into much older women. That's when I realized how many couples, middle-aged Western women and young Jamaican men, there were around me. It dawned on me that I had landed in one of the premier spots for women's sex tourism and to be frank, the sight was so ugly that I decided to buy myself a gigantic dildo for my 40th birthday.

5. After my first day I was too freaked out to talk to anyone. It seemed that they either wanted to sell me drugs or sex and as I was not interested in purchasing any of the two, it was better to keep all communication to minimum. For the rest of the time I felt like a zombie.

To be fair, it was not all bad. I liked Kingston, where there were no tourists and thus no people trying to sell me the aforementioned goods. There was not much to see there either - where the hell are all the cool record shops selling reggae vinyls? - but the city itself was alright. The Jamaican beaches are of course superb, if only you didn't have to pay a hefty entrance fee to some 5* hotel who owns the strip. And I liked the beef patties.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

sad!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't disbelieve her but bwoy that must have been a seedy motel that she stayed at. Never experienced a "receptionist" like that before, calling the guests room offering to sell weed without even being approached first?
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sad for real Mo. Well she was asked upon arrival. It could be that she fits into his demograpy of a smoker. While some of the 3 star hotels are fine, she might be adding a little. The rest sound true to form. It is ironic that she rather Kingston where is crime invested but she is not haggled.

That is why I say crime is a major deterant but these hustlers maybe worst.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

For everyone of these narrow-minded bogs I'l bet there are 10 more good ones. While I agree with the harassment thing and maybe the drugs her (assumption) quotes don't sound Jamaican buy rather cliched: 'Good, price, good price".
          Maybe if she had done a little more homework she would have had a totally differnent experience. She seemd to be nickel and diming it.

Comment

The thing about Kingston is, as she said, not being used to tourists, people just stare and move on. And generally, tourists are not usually victims of crime in Jamaica, as far as I know. Something tells me though that incidents of crime are under reported. I don't believe our criminals are so savvy to not want to hurt the tourist industry. They don't care.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

she was from England, huh? they tend to nickel and dime more than others, i think.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well if you trying to visit 100 countries in a short period of time I guess doing it on the cheap and without too much research is to be expected, unless you are really rich.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

As I said there were many good ones there. I highlighted this one to show what I think is a major problem with our tourism as staying at a 4 star hotel outside the gate there were thugs ready to pounce.
                  going to a craft market with my wife and kid and the vendors were evening trying to sell my 3 and 2 year old things and trying to pull my wife in various direction.

The further I got away from Ochi was the better it get as ordinary people just leave you alone and treat people as regular. These leach at must be sent packing and the taxi driver there must be in a line and wait on people to call them, not harrass the visitors. Vendors in the craft market must be better trained. It is easier to navigate cornation market than these craft markets.

Comment

True but there is also a cultural difference where English people don't tip at resturants and other places. Working in the hotel I heard it all the time "English guest are mean" but the workers and others also need to understand it.

Jamaican guests are normally not treated the best either as many think "them nah let off nothing" or their "their money nuh value nothing".

Comment

I agree with the harassment thing...yu literally have to cuss badword for them to leave you...no bother talk bout the yam vendors (Manchester) or the crayfish (now crawfish) vendors in St. Elizabeth dem flock yu like JoHn Crows pon dead dawg....

Comment

Mo, this one for a thesis...

Comment

Faiths Pen is the WORST these days that I experienced where that is concerned.

Comment

I also think it is Mo. Sometimes the guest rather just leave than to report some crimes that will make them look silly or to further subject themselves to anything else.

Comment

yuh ever go Border, fish vendors on the border of St. Bess and Westmoreland? at the first sign that you may be braking up, there is a sprint to your car!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X