RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Dr. Phillips really saying here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Dr. Phillips really saying here?

Crime bills are not a cure for crime – Phillips

The Opposition has cautioned the government about looking at the six crime bills as the only answer to addressing crime and violence.

According to Dr. Peter Phillips, Senior Opposition Parliamentarian, care must be used in implementing the provisions of the bills.
    “There is no panacea; there is no immediate solution (to crime). A problem developing over 40, 50 years is not going to disappear in a twinkling.

“What we need to do is to muster the resources and the energy of all the law abiding and well thinking (Jamaicans), devise effective measures and proceed in lock step. I’m not denying that these bills will help but I want to rid you and everybody else of the idea that these six (bills) represent a panacea (to crime) because they don't,” Dr. Phillips told the House of Representatives as the debate on the crime bills began.

The debate is to resume next week Tuesday.
    Last edited by Karl; June 3, 2010, 10:37 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

The obvious

Comment

Well they are the thinkers, we need more than that from them. Come up with more solution.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Wha you say, no sh!t Sherlock? LOL!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sass: What is Dr. Peter Philips saying here?

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

The Opposition has cautioned the government about looking at the six crime bills as the only answer to addressing crime and violence.

According to Dr. Peter Phillips, Senior Opposition Parliamentarian, care must be used in implementing the provisions of the bills.
          “There is no panacea; there is no immediate solution (to crime). A problem developing over 40, 50 years is not going to disappear in a twinkling.

“What we need to do is to muster the resources and the energy of all the law abiding and well thinking (Jamaicans), devise effective measures and proceed in lock step. I’m not denying that these bills will help but I want to rid you and everybody else of the idea that these six (bills) represent a panacea (to crime) because they don't,” Dr. Phillips told the House of Representatives as the debate on the crime bills began.

Same thing most of us have been saying, reducing crime requires efforts carried out "in lock step" on many different fronts. Dr. Philips is merely repeating "sensible thoughts"!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

well, the way some of us were acting about the "stalling" of these crime bills, you'd swear they were indeed the panacea!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Phillips comes across dumb when you listen to him speak. In written word he seems ok. But he is not helpful at the minute.

Comment

Please, this is the least! Listen to him in Parliament! Peter Phillips is trying his best to remain relevant.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  well, the way some of us were acting about the "stalling" of these crime bills, you'd swear they were indeed the panacea!
                  ...just politics by those who would try to present that silly position!

Just politics = trying to win votes, arrogance as dem tek the voters fi fool.

That too must change.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl as a lawmaker who had the security portfolio it is his job to also come up with solutions.

We as a nation can't wait on the long term to fix the crime solution. We need action now, not to end it but to make a dent.

This is not inspiring from Dr. Phillips at all. We need more than reality. We need leadership.
                    Last edited by Assasin; June 3, 2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Please, this is the least! Listen to him in Parliament! Peter Phillips is trying his best to remain relevant.

he is more relevant than Bruce is honest.

lol!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

wi talking di same Phillips here?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

because is not the panacea that means that it is not important? is there a panacea?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Karl as a lawmaker who had the security portfolio it is his job to also come up with solutions.

We as a nation can't wait on the long term to fix the crime solution. We need action now, not to end it but to make a dent.

This is not inspiring from Dr. Phillips at all.
                            There are solutions in what he said!
                            Surely immediately - Social interventions spring to your mind and that of all well thinking persons?

...but first and foremost you must have thought on hearing Philips of what exactly has been removed? What is it that Dudus and his cohorts provided added to destruction the security forces have left behind - breadwinners removed, methods of 'businesses' that cannot be engaged in, prooperty - real property and personal property - etc... that needs immediately 'plugging'/replacemernt?

...what monetary input is needed to immediately alleviate the suffering of the people - reopening of schools, electrical supplies, health, water, garbage removal, something like the US SSI, jobs, etc., etc. ...opportunites for the people to pick up the pieces and move towards living decent lives?

What Peter Philips said does wakes your brain to such things...need for a whole host of social interventions? Clearly it was not for Peter Philips, in that particualr debate, to attempt the laying out position papers and policy directives on what government and quasi-governemnet bodies and instructions to private entiites on efforts to be made?
                            Last edited by Karl; June 3, 2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

"What Peter Philips said does walk your brain to such things..."

Politicians don't walk my brain. They PNP have no solution on the table yet.

3 years in opposition and nothing is written on paper? Again what are the goals of the current PNP other than that they are ready for Power?

What are they going to do different?
                              Will they support free healthcare, free education?
                              Will they continue with the IMF after the two years done?
                              What will they change with security or politicians hugging up Dons?
                              What are their goals Karl?

Choose any one of those and let your mind WALK.

Comment

Working...
                              X