Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-school artistes miss airplay

Curtis Campbell, Gleaner Writer

In recent times, the airwaves have been monopolised by music from modernised dancehall, placing traditional reggae artistes on the back bench in terms of radio play and overall media coverage, causing many to view the media with disgust.

The Gleaner met with some of these artistes to get their opinions as it relates to the current controversy.

Tappa Zukie, a reggae superstar in the early 1970s, is one such artiste crying foul. Known for hit singles such as Oh Lord and Chalice To Chalice, Tappa Zukie claims that today's audience is only given one aspect of local music, resulting in a lack of appreciation for traditional reggae artistes such as himself.

"I grew up in a time when we didn't have to pay for airplay. now it is not so," he said.

"That is why we have to release our albums in Europe, I believe the music fraternity needs a revolution," he added.

Tappa Zukie has 13 studio albums to his name and has produced over 70 albums for other artistes including U Roy, Beres Hammond and a host of others.

Vintage songwriter Ruddy Isaacs, brother of Gregory Isaacs, subscribes to the same ideas.

According to Isaacs, radio stations have been giving airtime to the same artistes over and over.

"We are getting an unfair deal in Jamaican media and, to make it worse, when you go to foreign countries, we are more accepted than regular artistes," the disgruntled songwriter said. According to him, the voices of all the different types of entertainers in Jamaica should be given the opportunity for their work to be appreciated through increased airplay.

Earl Hepton, who has hit singles such has Book Of Rules, Pretty Looks and Fatty Fatty in the 1990s, said the media had forgotten about traditional reggae artistes despite the fact that their music is of good substance. He also blames it on the digital music evolution. "I would cut out the computer thing if I could because it mash up the music. now all they want to hear is digital productions instead of real authentic material." he said.

Cause for concern

Carl Dawkins, known for his single Satisfaction in the 1970s, also expressed concern. He too accused the media of employing a pay-to-play system. According to Dawkins, the reduced airplay results from the system. he also claims that as a result of their songs not being played, there is a reduction in their capacity to get booked for stage shows in the island.

Ken Boothe, however, relates that not all journalists are guilty, making note of Bob Clarke, a disc Jockey on Irie Fm who is known for playing music from the vintage era on his show.

While some may argue that Bob Clarke only represents one of the many media practitioners, the vintage artistes continue to hope for change out of fear that lack of substantial coverage may cause the extinction of their art.

Dj Smoke of Renaissance Disco, in defence of disc jockeys, said the media is driven by what people like.

"It's not our fault. It depends on what the people want and most of the stations have a target audience. that's how marketing works."

"I play for everybody and if I am in that 50s audience, I can still give a good account of myself," he said.

Zj Rush of Zip FM also shared a similar view, saying: "The media tends to be more current, and I believe that the public are the ones who decide what they want."

He also said the artistes needed to be more current if they wanted to compete.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../ent/ent1.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Have to agree. I listen to Zip FM and with the exception of Throwback Tuesdays and Liquid's Fresh to Death, the various DJs basically play the same set of music. I've always wondered why they don't play vintage artistes more often.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

does heineken startime draw a good sized crowd?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The fact is you have to understand payola. Plays a big role my friend. Nuff man get money, nuff Dons and drugs men influence what play and nuff DJ collect them things a push it.

Not all but Ja and NY amongst others very corrupted.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

its true but to fix it create stations that play the required music,

Comment

Agree 100%. Lots of stations rarely play vintage. Even with Bob Marley it seems the only time one can hear more than the occasional Bob tune on most radio stations is around his birthday. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the youngest children now don't really recognize Bob Marley's music.

Comment

They have to release their albums in Europe? So they want local airplay instead of Euro's?

Comment

There are countless good recordings that sound "modern", are well produced, have good lyrical content that are not given any love by radio announcers and DJs. Ofcourse payola is a huge part of the problem but also many radio people and DJs are not secure/versatile enough to venture out musically and take their listeners/audience on that musical journey. They prefer to stick to what everyone else is doing. The fact that they all want to buss the latest beenie, kartel, mavado or bounty chune (even if it is of low quality) is also part of the problem. To solve the problem radio stations need stronger and more knowledgeable program and music directors to ensure proper rotation of songs. Sound systems need better and more vesatile selectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Runawaybay View Post
                  There are countless good recordings that sound "modern", are well produced, have good lyrical content that are not given any love by radio announcers and DJs. Ofcourse payola is a huge part of the problem but also many radio people and DJs are not secure/versatile enough to venture out musically and take their listeners/audience on that musical journey. They prefer to stick to what everyone else is doing. The fact that they all want to buss the latest beenie, kartel, mavado or bounty chune (even if it is of low quality) is also part of the problem. To solve the problem radio stations need stronger and more knowledgeable program and music directors to ensure proper rotation of songs. Sound systems need better and more vesatile selectors.
                  People in Jamaica ain't buying it so why put it on the radio? These artists have an advantage over dancehall artists in Europe so what they complaining bout?

Comment

Well lots of people the world over aren't buying any music anymore (downloading music like there is no tomorrow), so why not put it on radio?

Comment

Radio in Jamaica for what? They make their money in Europe doing shows...not sure how local radio helps there.

Comment

Most Radio DJs in America & Jamaica have a very limited appreciation & knowledge of traditional music. A lot of DJs get involved in radio for the hype and self promotion. Radio stations in Jamaica fi gi dem a blie, and air more of their music at least one hour/day.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                        X