Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earlier Dudus hunt may have hurt economy

Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter

IF THE green light to proceed with the process of extraditing Christopher Coke had commenced earlier, Jamaica might have found itself in more dire circumstances than it is in, Prime Minister Bruce Golding has hinted.

In a cameo defence to his position of prime minister during the debate on a no-confidence motion on Tuesday, Golding said the economy would have suffered a catastrophic collapse had police been sent to arrest Coke in 2009.

"Last year was a very challenging year, not just for this Government but for the country. We had to take some decisions last year and we had to do some things, otherwise we don't know where we would have been this year," Golding said.

He told Parliament that while his administration pursued the extradition for Coke by taking advice from eminent legal minds, "there were some serious issues that the country had to face that had to be protected.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead4.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Liad Bruce...don't stop at all! that is your legacy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cover Your A S S. Let the spinning begin

Comment

Bruce wavier and waffle nuh rahtid but him miles ahead inna him politics(not just party).
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Maudib was right. Him not nearly as chupid as him look!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bruce smart but common sense let him down more time
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The other day a friend of mine who moved from Portland to St.Catherine and later London was relating to me about how how he supported Bruce and went to meet him once and him almost run him over.

So nuh feel bad a nuh you one LOL.

Comment

i'm thinking he may have run over carolyn gomes foot tuh! cause she nah let up, even though the jfj is supposed to be an arm of the jlp!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi haffi really ask Carolyn what up.. whenver wi chat bout Bruce mi haffi juss nod and smile..

Comment

But wait, what happened to defending Coke's constitutional rights? And standing up to the Americans' supposedly ill-gotten evidence?

Besides when Willi was pushing this angle too in anorther thread, as Bruce is (expectedly) now doing, and inferring that this time was the ideal time for this kind of operation there were a lot more questions than answers:

Originally posted by Reggaemike
                    Originally posted by Willi
                    Tourist high season over.......
                    Seh wha?
                    Is which Jamaica you talking about? 1910s Jamaica maybe.

The months with the highest arrivals, traditionally are: March (for the winter/spring season) and July (for the summer season), with July at times having higher arrivals than March. The month that traditionally has the lowest arrivals is September (hurricane season). So in fact it is quite possible to argue that February to August (or even December to August) constitutes one single high season, whilst September to November constitutes the off-season or low-season. There is certainly a dip in tourist arrivals in April and May but those two months still see tens of thousands more visitors than September in any given year. Tens of thousands of visitors paying tens of thousands of dollars....US dollars.....

If Bruce had really planned this then September would have been the best month:

- no exams for the children
                    - tourists aren't arriving in large numbers anyway
                    - plenty time between September and December to rebuild the tourist image

Sure, someone will come in with "what about the IMF tests"? But if this disruption might cause a failure on the next IMF tests then what difference would it have made to fail it before? In any case in September there would have been no IMF test to fail as the IMF negotiations were still ongoing (not to be completed until 4 months later in January) and just as how wizard Bruce is supposedly using this as an opportunity to make Jamaica even more indebted bilaterally and multilaterally through talks with partners to fund aspects of de-garrisonization, why couldn't something like this in September have been presented as an opportunity to the IMF for even MORE money to go towards de-garrisonization as a part of an overall economic plan? Would the IMF tell them "no, we think you should keep the garrisons with their murderers and extortionists that inhibit business"?

Originally posted by Willi
                    ..civil society railing gainst him as the criminality is at peak...
                    How could he possibly have planned that? And why would he plan to have civil society railing against himself? Civil society had long been crying out about the level of criminality. From long before 2007 in fact. However none of the current parliamentarians, Golding included, found it urgent enough to put it on the front-burner as opposed to speaking eloquently about it and railing against the other side for failing to do something. Has anyone refuted Lewin's allegation that his crime proposals were never discussed? He didn't need to get civil society railing against himself to do anything like this, civil society (and I'm talking about the real civil society, the society that wants to be civil, not the society that has no problem with their friends and partners killing people as long as they give them money and maybe cook and clean) would have been behind him.

It is very, very unlikely and practically impossible that Golding planned this, even if later on he claims to (and it wouldn't be the first time politicians do something like). It is far more likely that he found himself with no other option lest even more damaging details about the Manatt affair came to light and I suspect such details would have little to do with Dudus. In addition to having his hand forced, the hands of all the politicians were then tied once the gangsters attacked those 4 police stations - there is absolutely no way they could have held the JDF and JCF back from doing their jobs (as they did in the past) after that without possibly risking serious consequences. I'm almost certain Golding didn't plan for those police stations to be attacked (unless he has even murkier dealings than has been previously implied).

Think about it, had those police stations not been attacked, do think it would have been possible for the JCF and JDF to go into Tivoli and remain there? What if Dudus had simply come out and surrendered and told his followers (both willing and captive) that it was okay and everyone should go back to business as usual? The JCF and JDF would have taken him and we would have court proceedings, meanwhile back in Tivoli the Posse would be running on autopilot with all those guns and various assorted weaponry and the continued belief of invincibility and being untouchable.

Comment

Oh.. you probably still believe Bruce was just planning a campaign to get Dudus..

Circumstances dictated the bringing forward of the Crime/Garrison Attack program.. War on Crime

Ah nuh 2 month programme dat...

Timing is perfect... should have wrapped up the shock and awe phase and the important occupation phase (funded by multilaterals) by November... next Tourist season (and nuff oddah 'season'..ebryting criss..)
                      Grand Master in action.

Impressive.

Comment

What? I never believed Bruce was just planning a campaign to get Dudus. I doubt very much that Bruce was planning anything with regards to Dudus.

Comment

suh yuh really expec fi launch a War On Crime starting late 2009 ????

That would not be smart.

lol !

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                            suh yuh really expec fi launch a War On Crime starting late 2009 ????

That would not be smart.

lol !
                            But launching a War on Crime before the July peak "not smart" either!

Essentially no time is every a "best" time to launch an assault on gangster militias - just ask Colombia. But the fact remains that the sooner you deal with the problem the sooner you get to the solution (again, just ask Colombia).

Some times might be better suited or ideal for carrying out an operation than others, but no time will ever be the "best" time.

Comment

There is a worst time and given everything that was in play.. late 2009 would have been a retarded move.

Eidda yuh unnastan or yuh nuh unnastan.. eidda yuh play tic-tac-toe or yuh play Chess...

Drivah is clearly in the best position to determine the best moves.. siddung inna di back of di buss and stap question big Drivah !

Comment

Working...
                              X