X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivah operating on fumes..but must press the gas

EDITORIAL - Don't let up on gangs

Published: Tuesday | June 1, 2010

There are Cabinet members who represent constituencies with active criminal gangs and political thugs with, to put it politely, influence over far more votes than their own - sometimes to the benefit of ministers.

Ministers, in this circumstance, may find it difficult to unequivocally support a national drive to pressure and dissolve these gangs.

But this is exactly what all members of the administration, including Prime Minister Bruce Golding, must do - go after these criminal enterprises, wherever they exist.

And they must act quickly, grasping the opportunity offered by last week's events in Tivoli Gardens when armed militias fought the security forces to prevent the capture and extradition to the United States of Christopher Coke, a fugitive wanted on drug and gun charges. That threat to the Jamaican state has concentrated minds, generating support for a rigorous anti-gang operation, which in the past would have been constrained by partisan political considerations.

Prime Minister Golding, if he is, indeed, serious about making the recent events a new start for Jamaica, will by now have come to clear conclusions about his political career, freeing him to make the necessary, and tough, decisions.

More years ahead for Golding?

Assuming he intends to continue in representational politics, he would have realised that he can no longer represent west Kingston, of which Tivoli Gardens is the heart. In any event, Mr Golding, given his handling of the Coke affair, must know that his political life is unlikely to have many more years.

His priority, therefore, must be to try and re-establish the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) as a party of integrity, seen to be serving the country's interests and not its own. Nothing will do this more effectively than if Mr Golding uses his remaining political capital to take on the criminal elements and eliminate the stranglehold that gangs have on national life.

If he accepts this mission, the prime minister
    must leave his Cabinet in no doubt of the new direction. If required, he must be ready to drag recalcitrant colleagues along.

Preferably, though, people like Karl Samuda, Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, Mike Henry, Horace Chang and Speaker Delroy Chuck, who represent constituencies with gangs which must be confronted, will not require persuading. And hopefully, they will refrain from an unseemly jostle to determine Mr Golding's successor, thereby making the anti-gang initiative more difficult.

Unrepentant garrison communities

In this regard, Mr Samuda, for instance, will want to think carefully as to whether his ambition to lead the JLP stands on a firm base if the public believes that his is an unrepentant garrison constituency. We do not suggest that the gangs in Mr Samuda's constituency determine political outcome. Nor do we suggest that Mr Samuda condones their presence.

We do suggest, however, that the Jamaican public wants politicians who are visibly involved in anti-gang programmes. We invite Mr Samuda to pioneer this course.

While we use Mr Samuda as an example, there are many members of the governing and opposition parties, at the national and local levels - who too often escape scrutiny - to which these comments apply equally.

The bottom line is: it is time to untie the relations between gangs and politicians, much of which have been allowed to develop outside of real public scrutiny. This, really, is the same mission as dismantling garrisons, a vision Mr Golding once so eloquently offered Jamaica.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

It is going to be interesting. The revolution will not be published on letterhead. some of the dinosours are going to be dragged kicking and screaming to find religion on the road to Damascus or to jail. Just more speculation on my part though. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
      It is going to be interesting. The revolution will not be published on letterhead. some of the dinosours are going to be dragged kicking and screaming to find religion on the road to Damascus or to jail. Just more speculation on my part though. LOL.
      yep...we do live in interesting times... Jamaica The Movie

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Mosiah this is where the JFJ and other so called human, social and constitutional rights advocates need to be active in .

If you want to make real change put pressure on the P.M for change in those departments, hollering about how a gunman man was killed by the state is ridiculous when you the constitution under attack by said gunmen and M.Ps who have that narco political arrangement.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

the JFJ hardly needs you to tell them how to do their thing. thanks but...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            Mosiah this is where the JFJ and other so called human, social and constitutional rights advocates need to be active in .

If you want to make real change put pressure on the P.M for change in those departments, hollering about how a gunman man was killed by the state is ridiculous when you the constitution under attack by said gunmen and M.Ps who have that narco political arrangement.
            It is NOT ridiculous to argue about human rights. Checks and balances against unbridled state power MUST be provided EVEN in war. In Jamaica's case what we have now is POLICE action to quell a criminal uprising....even though there is military involvement through the emergency declaration.

Advocates of state power have their organs to promote that policy..as should advocates of human rights have theirs. Can't see what difficulty you find in that.

Let opposing views contend...freely.

Comment

Wow unnuh a grow up ? proud a unnuh no more pawn bizniz ? Or is it a JLP chess move to advocate for real change now that its the only card left to play with the JFJ as its propoganda mouth piece.

Anyway its a road that you guys cannot turn back from once you have started on it , Jamaica too.......

We have hope and I have belief .I have always stated change would come from outside and it did .The USA putting pressure on Jamaica to hand over Duduss has opened up a well of surprises.

Its all good.
              Last edited by Sir X; June 1, 2010, 10:49 AM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

he seems scared of the truth.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The difficulty is they were used as political tool by the JLP . Advocating for the investigation of slain gunmen under one administration and not a word under the present one or whispers leaves me to conclude, they are a propoganda tool for the JLP.

Like I said when they take the thing seriously I will be a card carrying member of the JFJ !

Look man these guys saw the state prepare to murder a community and did nothing !(T.G)

Comment

i was in NY over the weekend and I met many like you - totally uninformed, ignorant, hysterical asses!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                      The difficulty is they were used as political tool by the JLP . Advocating for the investigation of slain gunmen under one administration and not a word under the present one or whispers leaves me to conclude, they are a propoganda tool for the JLP.

Like I said when they take the thing seriously I will be a card carrying member of the JFJ !
                      With the JFJ practically leading the charge for Golding's ouster I don't see any credence to the claim of JLP bias....unless you believe they support a particular JLP faction.

Also...the PNP was in power for nigh 2 decades when many state abuses occurred...there was ample ground for criticism then of those administrations....I don't recall a call for ANYONE'S (politician that is) resignation by the JFJ

I don't know the group particularly..except through the press...but it appears to me that their work is vital....one can quibble about this case or that.... no one is perfect...or perfectly balanced

Comment

I hope its not another day off, is it?
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Whose fault is that ? Have you informed us ? what do you expect ? for a human rights organisation you are doing a good job of keeping the status quo.

Comment

Ms Gomes come from uptown and she Brown so she a must labourite. She nuh ghetto enough.

Them figet she related to Ronnie.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

O.K Don1 got you, leading the charge ..lolol

Comment

Working...
                              X