Grading Your Captions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grading Your Captions!

Well, you had your fun, gentlemen, and I smiled at the attempts at writing a caption for that photo. In fact, I genuinely enjoyed reading the captions written. Nevertheless, I would be remiss in failing to point out that while the captions you wrote used to be acceptable in some high school publications (magazines and yearbooks) back in the day, there would be absolutely no place for them on the pages of a modern newspaper.

In other words, they would be unacceptable to a copy editor.

From what I can see, the caption writers here on RBC were primarily concerned with being funny, sometimes at the expense of the young lady and/or the soldiers. In real life situations, this would not work, and legal considerations such as libel or false light serve to restrict blatant attempts at crude comedy at the expense of the subjects in any published photograph.

Now, if I were to grade the captions written, my grade would be influenced by the following shortcomings:

1. The “where”, “what”, “who” (full names are needed, although in a tense situation such as Tivoli Gardens last week, it might be difficult to obtain names) and “when” are missing from the action in the photo!!

These four W’s (“when”, “what”, “who” and “where”) are generally the most important information needed for photo captions. The “why” is generally difficult or even impossible to include, while the “how” is often unnecessary.

2. Readers are NOT looking for comedy in a newspaper caption; they want facts! Also, surely some background information (for example, why were armed soldiers standing on the sidewalk?) could have been included in the captions written here.

In newsmagazines such as Newsweek, Time and others, the captions are generally very brief, but this is because the relevant details are generally found in the story which the photo accompanies.

Finally, many of us here often lambast journalists for not digging further (I believe the term often used on this forum is “investigative journalism”, a term which became fashionable following the exploits and successes of the Washington Post’s team of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein back in the 1970s). Hopefully, my comments here make it apparent that things are not always easy for today’s newspaper journalists.

Queue of J. Wray over here Bartendah !!

Ah wha di..!?

Comment

is it queue or kew? or Q? or cue? is that the same thing as a flask?

sorry, Historian, but I think I just hijacked your post.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

hmm.. ok.. gime a bokkle..

Comment

a quart or a flash???

Disapora nuh inna the flash thing.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Deserved!
            ...but I do not think any of us really tried!
            Teacher we needed to give us a tongue-lashing!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think your header is misleading as you had me opening your post to see if you actually 'graded' the individual captions. You then went on to give the framework you'd use WITHOUT actually attempting to grade them. Not to mention your description that they were well 'high schoolish'.
              In addition I think that posters were just having fun, after a stressful week due to incidents in Jamaica and possible at work or home....
              I don't agree that "readers are not looking for comedy in a newspaper caption"...sometimes they do and sometimes cartoonist juxtapose comedy with facts or stretch the facts a lot. Captions for pics will depend on the audience that is being targeted as well (barring libel etc.).
              Finally, I still think that a lot of our local Journalists avoid scholarship in their work, are lazy to do the footwork (we now have Google), and are at times not feeling empowered to do the work since Editors, Newspaper owners etc. will veto since there is always a bigger underlying theme and biases. No it's not easy for them especially now all you need to be a Journalist is a laptop, a recorder and a cellphone.

Comment

Point is no one...at least I cannot remember anyone...tried to create a caption. All attempted to do a Mutt & Jeff type having the characters speak! The instructions on caption was ignored.

We did not...I certainly did not answer the question and thus got a failing grade!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Do you want a debate on news captions?

Despite what you think, what I presented in my thread-opening post is not merely a “framework (that I’d) use.” It is the framework that is generally used by newspapers across the length and breadth of the western world! In case you didn’t realize it, there is a thing in journalism called a “stylebook”. One of the popular stylebooks used by journalists in this part of the world is the Associated Press (AP) Stylebook. I can send you a copy by slow mail if you wish.

You don’t have to agree with me that “readers are not looking for comedy in a newspaper caption”! That’s your choice whether to agree or not. However, I can assure you that very few, if any, readers deliberately look for jokes in news story photo captions!! Also, what on earth do you mean when you say that “captions for pictures will depend on the audience that is being targeted”?! News story captions in a daily newspaper (including ethnic and regional newspapers), which is what this thread is about, are aimed at a mass audience!

When I see your act of linking cartoonists with journalists who are responsible for newspaper captions, then I realize that you are not sure what I am talking about! In other words, you are probably confusing news captions with editorial cartoons or comics! Those are vastly different from news story captions! In the case of editorial cartoons, while they address serious issues, exaggeration and other means are employed to provide laughter. News story cartoons are NOT similar to editorial cartoons!!

Now, a cursory glance at popular American news magazines (People, Time, Newsweek, etc.) and newspapers will reveal that while humor is often employed in the lead-ins of captions (lead-ins serve as mini headlines), the actual captions are primarily concerned with the 5W’s and one H.

Of course, I agree with you that the posters here were “having fun”! However, the average reader does NOT read newspaper photo captions in search of fun, but rather, they are interested in what took place, who were involved, etc.

I will not comment on your final paragraph (one which I disagree with) except to ask you this: How much do you really know about Jamaican journalists?! Exile, if you want the challenge of debating ANY aspect of journalism as practiced today, please go ahead. I will be more than happy to oblige you!

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                  I think your header is misleading as you had me opening your post to see if you actually 'graded' the individual captions. You then went on to give the framework you'd use WITHOUT actually attempting to grade them. Not to mention your description that they were well 'high schoolish'.
                  In addition I think that posters were just having fun, after a stressful week due to incidents in Jamaica and possible at work or home....
                  I don't agree that "readers are not looking for comedy in a newspaper caption"...sometimes they do and sometimes cartoonist juxtapose comedy with facts or stretch the facts a lot. Captions for pics will depend on the audience that is being targeted as well (barring libel etc.).
                  Finally, I still think that a lot of our local Journalists avoid scholarship in their work, are lazy to do the footwork (we now have Google), and are at times not feeling empowered to do the work since Editors, Newspaper owners etc. will veto since there is always a bigger underlying theme and biases. No it's not easy for them especially now all you need to be a Journalist is a laptop, a recorder and a cellphone.

Comment

Well.. all mi can seh is if mi pon a quiz show and dem ask mi bout Caption.. mi nah stap smile...

Comment

As usual Historian gets very antsy whenever he's called out and then he attacks. I hv neither time nor patience to respond now but will another time. I will however clear the air - I am not confused nor unclear about what you were saying

Comment

Historian might approve of: "Soldiers stand guard over holey ground"... Westman I hope this passes your censorship.

And Exile easy on the duck... and "geera' chicken??? wha happen to de pork?
                        Peter R

Comment

Rasta no deal wit dat!

Comment

well mi a nuh Rasta, strickly bald head... pass the jerk pork please....LOL
                            Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                              well mi a nuh Rasta, strickly bald head... pass the jerk pork please....LOL

Bald headed Rasta
                              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X