If i were a soldier or police and i met the person who did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If i were a soldier or police and i met the person who did

This ...I dont know what i might have done to the individual that did it to the dog .

Behind the placard-bearing dog
    BARBARA GLOUDON

Friday, May 28, 2010

I will continue to be haunted for some time by the picture of the dog in last week's "women in white" march. The animal was made to wear a placard which read: "Jesus died for us - We will die for Dudus". Sections of the British Press latched on to the picture and has made it the poster child for our insanity - the symbol of a nation which likes to boast of its Christian heritage and its alleged uniqueness as the location of the most churches per square mile.

Since the march move we have not seen the canine chosen to carry the blasphemous message in the triumphant procession around Tivoli and into the heart of the city. A week later, we have also lost sight of the "bustiferous" women in white, who taunted the rest of the society with their declarations of allegiance to their Don of Dons."We are prepared to die for him," they advised the rest of us, as they cavorted in Passa-Passa style defiance. They seemed happy and confident then.

The placard dog.

The placard dog.

1/1

Since Sunday night, however, there has been no room for rejoicing as the wrath of the had-enough State rained down on the community in the search of the Don Man, to send a signal that enough is enough. Not surprisingly, the man for whom others were prepared to die, could not be found, and up to the time of writing, was still absent without leave. The popular belief is that he was alerted to make himself scarce, long before the troops arrived. He has taken himself to safer ground, leaving his followers to deal with the death, destruction and dislocation of their lives and livelihood. The women in white remain to sing the funeral songs. The placard dog is out of the spotlight.

The cost is also being borne by young people of Tivoli who are paying the price for their elders' servitude to a Don. Because of the battleground conditions, it was impossible to sit the various career-impacting examinations in neighbourhood centres. Once again, those young people who face the challenge of how to "step up inna life" are being thwarted.

The early explanations of the minister and Ministry of Education as to why the exams could not be rescheduled were cold comfort to the youths who were hoping that they could come out ahead of the stereotype, the "bad smaddy" image. No doubt they would want the rest of us to know that not everyone equates Jesus with a don man and a placard on a dog.

Reports of the difficult and traumatic experiences of some students, who went through "hell and powderhouse" to get to exam centres, was enough to invite a loss of hope. Many of our young people are made of sterner stuff, however, enough to overcome the bureaucratic bungling, such as last-minute relocation of exam centres and inadequate information on how to find them.

One group of students is said to have had to lie on their bellies on the floor of an examination centre to write their tests while gunshots echoed outside. The concern of teachers and others is that when the exam results come, will they reflect the stress and trauma which the students had to undergo? Some educators are insistent that nothing but rescheduling of the exams would have been the best way to have dealt with the situation from the start. The Ministry of Education has decreed that an alternative system of evaluation will be used which, they are confident, will reflect fairly on the students. Let's see, nuh.

By Wednesday, the media could report that 44 had died in the Battle for the Don and hundreds detained, two women among them. There was no word if they were clad in white. The women who had marched so triumphantly last week had their special guardian angel watching over them. They knew from experience how to "get flat". By yesterday, the death toll had grown to over 70 and the community was beginning to complain of injustice.

This is not the first time that, from a safe distance, the rest of Jamaica has watched terror in Tivoli. Since 1966, when the foundations were laid, the community has wrestled with a dark legacy unlike any other in this nation. Pampered and cosseted by its founding father and benefactor, Tivoli should have become the most admired community. Instead, it has had an ongoing, uneasy relationship with the rest of the country.

It has been given significant amenities to make it self-sufficient, including a fine high school within its borders and other schools nearby where some of the most dedicated teachers have served. Its children have grown up with more chances for civilised expression than many others that I know. In the area of culture (music, dance etc) more of their young adults have had their talents honed, enabling them to make their name in the world of entertainment and allied fields of employment.

There are many good people in Tivoli, but unfortunately some others contribute in large measure to the negative perception which clings to the community's name. It is this lot, which once again has enmeshed fellow citizens in a full-scale war.

HERE'S SOMETHING which puzzles me about the dog and placard last week.
    From their knowledge of ancestral cultural forms, for which they have become famous, Tivoli people are fully aware of the complexities of life and death and the ancestral honour accorded to "The Word". They know fully well the significance and sacredness of the confession, "Jesus died for me", so it was surprising (to me at least), that they could have been persuaded to tolerate the gimmick of a dog carrying a message which their elders would have regarded as sacred. It is evidence of how much the times have changed in that community, as in others, where there is now a rampant disregard for the old values, especially the sanctity of life.

The latest chapter in the life of Tivoli is being written just as its founding father, Edward Seaga, was set to celebrate his 80th birthday in which Tivolites would certainly play a part. The celebration, like others in this season of a State of Emergency, has been postponed. In recent hours he has spoken out against what he sees as abandonment of his beloved Tivoli. For answers, he directs them to their new MP. (Guess who?)

IMAGES OF THE WEEK: A -- The sober atmosphere of Parliament on Tuesday. The usually asinine, immature desk-thumping was reduced to a minimum, except for one moment of the usual fourth-form foolishness when one of the Government side made a bizarre attempt at heckling (or whatever) during the Leader of the Opposition's presentation.

B: The shame-making, embarrassing attention given by the global media of the mess in which we have found ourselves. It should not be surprising that embellishments have occurred, the most flagrant being the ABC News report which has incurred the wrath of our prime minister and caused the US State Department to distance itself from allegations about the PM's supposed "connections".

C: Rumour, rumour and more rumour. The home-grown ones are bad enough. It is when they're manufactured abroad and exported home that you know our corner dark.
    Last edited by Karl; May 28, 2010, 02:17 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Tivoli's bloodshed, our pain and the endgame!
    Franklin Johnston

Friday, May 28, 2010

var addthis_pub="jamaicaobserver";

THERE is a time to die. Every day US, UK and Canadian citizens - some born here - die in Iraq for their country. We did not die to gain our emancipation or independence, yet freedom has a price! We paid 1,680 deaths to crime in 2009; can we sacrifice 44 or even 90 lives for a just cause?
    The poor die daily, their daughters are abused by dons; the well-off are robbed, raped, sodomised, killed. Is this how we want to live? Prepare for weeks of intense police work - the liberation of Tivoli, and other areas as we rid our nation of the ventriloquist, his dummy and garrison debris. Make your resolve more than your tears - let not these deaths be in vain! This is not a time to weep. Be strong, we must destroy this monster in all the enclaves once and for all or live in fear forever!

As soldiers gave the media a tour of Tivoli yesterday, residents look on.

As soldiers gave the media a tour of Tivoli yesterday, residents look on.

1/1

I am quite upset at the fear and grief in the nation at large, at the intransigence of the makers of this crisis and the families' pain. We are all human. I don't wish to write this as I have ideas for my beloved nation - I grieve for the good people in Tivoli, but I must write. I declined UK media shows. I want to tell the world the facts, then say, "The parties have resigned, the nation is healing, welcome back!" This would not be true. It's not over. Jamaica is more important than the individual!
    Some said, "We will die for Dudus", and they got their wish. This is the price, so brace yourselves, support our forces, keep scarce, use your phone camera, video, eyes, make notes, save things as evidence and stay alive. Last week my inbox was full and 97 per cent of you said Bruce should resign - in Caricom, the Commonwealth, UK, US - even online fora said they had the most hits ever. The BBC, CNN and networks as far as Al Jazeera know we were for rent to criminals.
    Soon, they will present us a mutilated body and satellite phone; but it's not Dudus! We now know Tivoli and all garrisons can be breached - at a price. The body bags (do we have any?) are piling up and (I hope) stored for the autopsies, inquests and multi-million dollar claims and suits against the JLP and the state. No burials yet, please!
    Dudus is a sideshow. Thanks to Bruce and his pals we are in for years of turmoil, low FDI, high expense and pariah status abroad. The UK media waits for his lawsuit. They will love it as British justice will expose all secrets. It will keep our economy febrile for years. Robinson's resignation is tactics; only Dudus' death will pre-empt the NY grand jury supoena in 2011.
    Will Bruce testify in the New York dock? Like Noriega? State prosecutors like high-profile cases and will squeeze it for every bit of TV news. New HC Tony Johnson was on TV, dignified, but evasive - maybe jet-lagged! Will the PSOJ tell the JLP to act now so by grand jury time a new PM can be in place? We will have enough hell with the IMF, civil unrest, lawsuits, the NY grand jury and rising poverty up to election 2012.
    It will kill our tourism, industry, FDI and our verve. All 2030 goals are off! The JLP's hubris will destroy us. Who are the party leaders? those more powerful than Cabinet, voters and citizens who told Bruce not to resign? Do they refer to this JLP executive?
    (1) Audley Shaw (10) Neville Gallimore
    (2) Aundre Franklin (11) Oswald Harding
    (3) Christopher Bovell (12) Enid Bennett
    (4) Clifton Stone (13) Ian Murray
    (5) Daryl Vaz (14) James Robertson
    (6) Derrick Smith (15) Joel Williams
    (7) Horace Chang (16) Karl Samuda
    (8) Kenneth Baugh (17) Ronald Robinson
    (9) Mavis Gilmour Peterson (18) Rudyard Spencer
    Are these the ones? Some are Bruce's employees, out-of-touch pensioners and a few misguided older youth? He confessed, offered to resign and they did not accept the offer! Bangkok burns because their PM did not resign. We do not wish that for Jamaica but JLP leaders may have frustrated people to the point that they take matters in their own hands. Upper St Andrew is the brains behind our problem - they miscalculated. Tivoli is only a symptom!
    We should make some citizens' arrests. The longest day has an end and if it be today, so be it! We may need UN peacekeepers on the ground and maybe we should ask the Criminal Court in the Hague to examine the chain of events and determine culpability in the deception, death and destruction in our nation. No local inquiry, please! Our friends abroad look on with shock and dismay - we are so undone!
    Here's the thing! Bruce is slated to take over as head of Caricom in June, but the leaders know he's damaged and can't represent them in London, Washington and Ottawa? What's to be done? Commonwealth heads meet at the games in Delhi in October and CHOGM in October 2011. They pray he is replaced as they and the Queen will be shamed - what's to be done?
    The new US-funded regional plan to combat drugs, organised crime, promote the rule of law and social justice is a major irony. We are in breach from day one - what's to be done? Caricom will suffer. Jamaica will be a pariah for years; the JLP will lose the 2012 elections and return to power after 2050. Sad!
    Bruce is not part of the solution, as for nine months he gestated this debacle. The economic expertise is in the civil service and the IMF, so he will not be missed. The PSOJ and the men who put up the US$50k fees must tell Horace to get the JLP internal contest going and find a new PM, with the prescient Mass Eddie as consultant, otherwise our path is dark.
    The relativists will say, "But the PNP did bad too." Maybe so, but we had no proof; now we have confession, proof, mass killing and chaos! "Every day bucket go a well, one day bottom mus' drop out!" This is the day! This does not involve the PNP; it's for the JLP to give Jamaica a new leader. We can only bear so much! Stay safe, my friend!
    Note: All criminals in Tivoli are civilians, but all civilians in Tivoli are not criminals. In due time the courts will decide who is guilty or innocent.
    Dr Franklin Johnston is an international project manager with Teape-Johnston Consultants, currently on assignment in the UK.
    franklinjohnston@hotmail.com

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Beyond The Garrisons

Published: Friday | May 28, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

I titled my column last week 'Samfie politics and bounceback' and I ended with these words: "In the meantime, the garrison story come up to bump! The mother of all garrisons has barricaded itself, and will not easily give up its don. The father of all garrisons is secure with his national honours and his sinecure. Is there any other way that this story could have ended?"
      Garrison story come up to bump indeed! Bounceback indeed! History will absolve neither those who created these zones of injustice nor those who stood by and watched. In years to come when we have emancipated ourselves from the slavery of garrison politics, and the real history of Jamaica is written, it will not be kind to those who knew better but compromised to 'go with the flow', to play along with 'the runnins'.
      "Give us vision let we perish," we sing in our national anthem, and vision is exactly what we have lacked. When the garrison architects were doing their planning, how else did they expect the story to develop? Did they believe that they would always have abundant scare benefit and spoils to distribute? Did they believe that their mercenaries would always do their bidding? How did they think giving guns to their political thugs would play out? I have no sympathy for them, now that they claim that the tail is wagging the dog.
      Technology focus

In 1954 - eight years before our Independence - the first silicon transistor was produced in the USA
      , launching the era of electronics. Five years before our Independence, the USSR launched Sputnik I, the first earth-orbiting satellite. The year before our Independence, Yuri Gagarin became the first human to travel
      into outer space and to orbit the Earth.[/color]

With visionary leaders, newly independent Jamaica could have set its sights on becoming the technology capital of the Carribbean, with a highly educated population; instead of borrowing money from the World Bank to build junior secondary schools, we could have built grammar schools and technical schools. But our leaders protected the sugar industry we had inherited from our colonial masters by making sure they had lots of unskilled labour, and they created urban garrisons to secure their political tenure. Our first set of political and private sector leaders have a lot to answer, for we perish in poverty and illiteracy and underdevelopment because of their lack of vision.]
      Now we must go forward to build a new Jamaica, the one we should have been building these last 50 years. Several initiatives need to be pursued at the same time, for undoing the last half-century is a delicate and complex set of undertakings.[/color]
      Truth commission
      A first task must be to bring our sordid past fully into the open by establishing a 'Truth and Reconciliation Commission' along the lines of the one Nelson Mandela set up in post-apartheid South Africa. We must call upon politicians and garrison staff to come forward and tell all they know that was done. A special act of Parliament needs to be passed to give an amnesty to those who confess; for the sake of history and the future we need to know who did what. The point is not to prosecute and arrest, but TO KNOW, so that we can undo.[/color]
      From time to time we hear that a police officer has been retired 'in the public interest'. The second step after the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is to retire all the tainted politicians and civil servants 'in the public interest'. Those who have been unprincipled enough to create these political garrisons should not be allowed to continue to govern us. And those who knew better and compromised their principles (thereby exposing their moral weakness) should leave public life, lest their future compromises get us into deeper trouble. And any national honours awarded must be revoked, so as not to keep them in disrepute.
      The basis of political garrisons is their partisan homogeneity created largely by the Ministry of Housing; the Ministry of Housing must fix the problem, and it cannot be beyond them. They must be able to come up with a system to shuffle the residential deck so that partisan mixing takes place among present tenants. New housing needs to be built on the many derelict vacant lots in the inner city to heterogenise and make inclusive the zones of political exclusion. (To be continued).
      Peter Espeut is a rural development sociologist and natural resource manager.

[/color]
      [/color]

Comment

Cho... him juss vex bout di Lime Cay deal that nevah work out fi him...

wheh yuh a post PJ friend dem tripe fah ??

Comment

Dis joker really want Edward Seaga to be a consultant for the election of a new JLP leader? Is he on high on coke? Seaga started the whole mess one way (creating garrisons) or another (creating the Tivoli garrison "in response" to some PNP garrison as he claims but of course any child raised with decency can tell you two wrongs do not make a right and that he should have undone the PNP garrisons he claims existed instead of making his own).

Comment

Working...
          X