Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can PNP reclaim NE St Ann?

Garwin Davis, Sunday Gleaner Writer

North East St. Ann, prior to the 1980 general election, was considered a People's National Party (PNP) stronghold.

Then came the by-election in 2001 where a woman named Shaine Robinson turned the form book around and won the seat for the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN> Labour Party (JLP).

Pundits were stunned. What made the victory even more remarkable was the fact that Ms. Robinson, a political novice at best, was an eleventh-hour replacement for businessman Michael Belnavis, who had suddenly resigned.

Badly beaten

Many though, remained unconvinced. The PNP, they claimed, had it coming the moment the party opted for Carol Jackson over then St. Ann's Bay Councillor, Eva Murdock, as its candidate.

"Wait until the general election next year," was the rallying cry. "The labourites won because many of Eva's supporters stayed home in protest - don't count on that happening again."

Even the then prime minister weighed in.

"We are going to reclaim what is rightfully ours," Prime Minister P.J. Patterson said. "Lightening won't strike in the same place twice - this is PNP country."

Patterson demitted office earlier this year after winning a record three consecutive general elections for the PNP. A by-election was called following the surprise resignation of the then MP, Danny <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Melville</SPAN>.

Ms. Robinson would again defy the odds in 2002 by beating Ms. Jackson in what was a record voter turnout.

In fact, so high was the turnout that Ms. Jackson, in polling over 10,000 votes, received the highest number of votes for a losing candidate for either party. Even today, she remains convinced that foul play, involving the padding of the voters' list by her opponent was the reason for her defeat.

"We all knew what happened, but such is life," Ms. Jackson said.

Ms. Robinson, who can now be considered a formidable political force, dismissed Ms. Jackson's charges as ludicrous, calling her rival "a sore loser who can't come to grip with reality".

Tan Young, president of the James Avenue <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink2 &#111;nmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,2); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" &#111;nclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,2); &#111;nmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,2); href="http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20061217/lead/lead3.html#" target=_new><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Small </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Business
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Can PNP reclaim NE St Ann?

I guess you don't realise this is another no-win argument.
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Well seeing that is my constituency, I'm very curious as to why they would want to make a backward step.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie is this the same Mrs.Robinson that

you like? I notice it's more of beauty contest going on up in St.Ann there. wooee Did you see Assamba's replacement? :P

Comment

Lazie is this the same Mrs.Robinson that you like?
          Where you get that from? No, I haven't seen Assamba's replacement as yet.

Comment

Well mi know yuh did like

a Mrs.Robinson MP (JLP) now mi see a Miss Robinson. I am lost I don't really know who is who. Well the PNP have a Ms.Brown running as Assamba replacement, well she has a nice face :P

Mi nuh too bizniz wid nutten still. I don't know how a strategic point suh as Mobay can be subjected to so much crime. Intelligence networks should have been setup way in advance and all groups infiltrated (hence taking away the element of surprise and being ahead always) I was watching the history channle with my son (on the Aztec emmpire) the Aztecs had a mail sytem to rival even the US today (granted their empire stretched to Guatemala). When Cortez landed Montezuma intelligence fed him repots until Cortez reached the capital. Our politicians need to play microsoft Age of the empires (I have never played that game though, hey I am not in govt. :P)

Comment

is this brown the confirmed candidate or an aspirant?

Comment

I don't really know, maybe you

can enlighten me. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X