• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers - Please pay them

Please pay them
    TAMARA SCOTT-WILLIAMS

Sunday, May 09, 2010

WE owe a deep debt of gratitude to our teachers. So on this Mother's Day, I'd like to pay tribute to the more than 27,000 teachers in the school system. Well, maybe not all of them. There are a few, three exactly, that I think should be put out of our misery and must be made to repay the schools for accepting money under false pretences.

I feel it for school teachers who are yet to recover the $4 billion owed to them by the Government for what was promised them: outstanding salary increases. The figure works out to be an average of $174,000 per teacher -- not a lot of money for the Government on a per capita basis, but a would-be welcome amount considering that teachers' earnings are often far to low to provide a reasonable standard of living. In the public school system, early childhood teachers' salaries range from a low of $14,800 (per month) to a high of $25,645.32 for a college-trained early childhood institution teacher.

Teachers are as much responsible for the learning that happens in a classroom, such as this one, as they are for the life lessons children take away from the classroom.

Teachers are as much responsible for the learning that happens in a classroom, such as this one, as they are for the life lessons children take away from the classroom.

1/1
    It must hurt our teachers to hear the prime minister discount the notion of shaving the size of his Cabinet just to save a few million. The amount he would save, he said, would barely pay for a good utility vehicle. For those teachers who wrestle with the public transportation system every day, that amount would pay their transportation costs for a week.
    Our teachers, the good ones, should be earning as much as a doctor, lawyer or even a politician, for their jobs are critical to national development.

I remember all of my St Hugh's Prep teachers and many of the lessons learnt there: not to lift up my skirt in Mrs Abrahams class no matter how pretty my panties were and never, ever let Miss Murray see you run with scissors. Somewhere along the line I learnt enough Math and English and Current Affairs to get into St Hugh's High School (under the no-big-deal Common Entrance Examination), and there I met Mrs Dash who simultaneously taught me the significance of the American Revolution and the importance of the right shade of red lipstick, and Miss Shim who made the written word sound like music. (While I'm at it, I'd like to big up Mrs Dove, Mrs Smith, Mrs Figueroa, Mrs Carnegie, Miss Thomas, Mrs Wilkins, Miss Jenoure, Mrs Harrison, Mrs Brady, Mrs Cruikshank, Mrs Whitfield, Mrs Cousins and Mrs Mullings).

The point is that teachers are as much responsible for the learning that happens in a classroom as they are for the life lessons children take away from the classroom. Let's not forget that teachers are often our children's daytime mothers: wiping noses, hushing boo-boos, reminding them of their manners, managing their social situations, counselling our children through emotional and personal challenges, and positioning themselves as mentors and role models for our young boys and girls. And in addition to that work, they are responsible for moulding the minds of future engineers, doctors, athletes, artists, administrators, writers and yes, politicians, too.

So while the timing of the delivery was insensitive (at the end of the two-day impasse) I don't discount Minister Audley Shaw's suggestion that the teacher's pay package be tied to performance. For educators, concerned with incentives to motivate the optimal performance by their students, this should be a comfortable and familiar environment for them to operate in.

The fact of the matter, however, is that the playfield nuh level, and were teachers to be paid based on the outcome of the students, then the Government has a duty to provide an educational system wherein all schools are given the requisite resources to attend to their duties and responsibilities.

And if the Government is to demand a higher level of performance from our teachers, and in fact from all our public sector workers, then members of the Government too must be held to a higher standard. If the minister of security's pay was docked for every life lost to violence in this country, then perhaps we would get more of a sense of urgency about the duties he is supposed to perform.

If the ministers of labour, investment, commerce, trade, et al were to receive bonuses for every job created, then perhaps more of our at-risk youth would be gainfully employed. Think of the possibilities of pay for performance at the government level.

It took Minister Shaw four attempts to cast the budget for this financial year, he may or may not get a redo. The teachers who prepare our students for GSAT get a single chance to ensure their success in the exam. Playfield nuh level.

While the Jamaica Teachers' Association's decision to strike and then work to rule last week may have angered and inconvenienced many parents who were forced to find adequate supervision for their children over two days, the minister of education has stated that those two days will be added back to the school year to recover any learning time lost.

The point of the strike, however, should not be lost. The Government failed to honour a contract that they had signed to pay the teachers retroactive salaries. They made a similar contract with the nurses and failed to make good on it. The Debt Exchange Programme was a contract whose terms were revised. These actions violate one of the first lessons we all learnt about integrity and good citizenship: if you make a promise, you should keep it.

And it was probably a teacher who taught us that.

scowicomm@gmail.com

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...ra-May-9--2010
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Shame on you Miss/Sir

Shame on you Miss/Sir

Published: Monday | May 10, 2010

The Soloist, Contributor
    I have a failing grade for the nation's public school teachers. And, I would like to declare that I was at one time a teacher in the public- and private-school systems here too. But prior to those days, I grew up with uncles, aunts and cousins who were also teachers. They had an enviable record of working more for the satisfaction of turning out excellent students, than for the measly salary they knew they would be getting.

Those were the embarrassingly good old days when students actually had to finish the syllabus by the time the pre-exam study week came and there was also time left in between for revision. Yes, those 'aliens' who were real educators, did not leave the more crucial parts of the syllabuses for 'extra lessons' (chi-ching time for teachers). And so the children had better learn. If extras were required, teachers did not demand money.

When I was a teacher in high school, I told my students and their parents the first time they asked that they better suck it all up during class time because my free time was mine. I would not be any extra classes. I had accepted the fact that I loved a profession that paid me poorly for a lot of so I sought to use my free time to make money at my other skills to supplement my income. And my relatives abroad kept me well dressed too!

By that time, the highway robbery now known as extra lessons, had begun. Even without extra lessons, the first time I entered students for an external exams I got 75 per cent pass. Feeling proud of myself, I went to boast to the principal who told me I had failed the other 25 per cent! He made me understand that I was accountable for the failures.

extra lessons

As far as extra lessons go, nowadays, parents don't seem to have a choice; they gladly pay for them because today's children are so damned lazy and, it seems, a lot more tough-headed, they need round-the-clock lessons. These children do no chores, have a lot more at their disposal in this technologically driven world, yet they produce the kind of shameful results we are now quarrelling about. In the decades when children performed better, teachers had far fewer resources at their disposal.

So I say, well done Mr Shaw. It's about time someone demanded value for money. Meanwhile, Michael Stewart seems to be letting them off the hook. No apology is needed. I can remember the many times when as a teacher, education officers and other senior school officials drilled it into our heads in staff meetings and that "if the child hasn't learnt, the teacher hasn't taught". Did we forget that one? Whatever happened to accountability and responsibility? And on that note, when will we have a system of performance-based pay for school teachers? And why did the teachers not strike through Teacher's Day? Pardon my stupidity, even in the face of poor performance, they still expect to be showered with gifts!

Are these teachers really happy with the value they are giving for money? Did someone hold them at gun point and make them become teachers? Did they not know that teachers, nurses and policemen are among the worst paid in the island? And are they on Mars or are they as unaware of the consequences of the International Monetary Fund and our ongoing global recession? Do they know what is happening in Greece now?

Check your own report cards Miss/Sir!

Feedback to: lifestyle@gleanerjm.com

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ir/flair3.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

When I was a teacher...
      Why did you leave?
      a) Tired to be a pauper?

b) Fustrated with inadequate support from -
      i) parents?

ii) Ministry of Education?

iii) "i" & "ii" above?

c) Retired as a pauper?

Yeah I also love teaching...but I needed money to support self and family so I left!

Comment

Since this oppressive, uncaring government took office, how much did the teacher's pay increase? Heard a letter from a teacher being read the other day who didn't support the strike because according to that teacher their salaries have been increased since 07.

Last week the outgoing president of the JTA was told that the gov't didn't have the money, his comeback line was where did the gov't get the money to pay the Air Jamaica workers. Really now?

I haven't heard anyone saying the teachers shouldn't be paid, the gov't has said time and again that instead of paying the 2 billion this year they can only pay 1 billion.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          So I say, well done Mr Shaw. It's about time someone demanded value for money.
          Our parliamentarians, including Audley, didn't have a problem with their 103% raise though!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X