No announcement yet.

How much do teachers get paid in JA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say that socially they are solidly middle class, economically more like working class.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Oh ok. Kind of like in the UK, even though the starting pay for teachers is more than the average income, they are seen as badly paid in comparison to their skill set. What professions/jobs (legal!) will give you a comfortable life in Jamaica?

Comment

Politics, then politics, then politics. After that the usual - lawyer, doctor, Indian chief (those are the ones that control the jewelry and appliance stores). Don't get into tourism, because no one becomes rich apart from Butch and Issa. Then entertainment! If you can sing, deejay, singjay, yuh criss. Graffiti alone won't cut it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Garrison Don.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Teacha nuh ave nuh respec again inna Jamaica. Dem pickney deh will tell yuh bout yuh c laat and then them parents will finish the job by adding the colours to the c laats.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Well, the traditional professions do well , lawyers, doctors, engineers etc.

It was popular for a while during the 90s when we had a growing financial industry for teachers to leave the classroom and become insurance agents.

Then there are the self-employed types who may be largely informal but not strictly illegal. For example I had some neighbors growing up whose mother sold clothes and shoes out of the back of a mini van, and they had a much higher income than my family did with 2 govt worker parents.

Generally if you know the right people and have the right connections you will do well in business.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

well, i recall a teacher taking up hairdressing work because it paid better.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I remember back in the 90's whenever I came across a person and they told me that they were a teacher, my immediate reaction was to say "I am sorry to hear that". Teachers don't earn good pay in relation to Jamaica's cost of living.....for that matter, very few do regardless of their profession. MissLondon, I am going to assume that you are a teacher - with at least a degree. With that, plus your British accent, I would suggest banking at least a mid-management level. If you are white or at least "high" coloured, your chances are pretty good. Even though the actual "take-home" pay may not be something to jump and shout about, the overall package ie. health, clothing,etc. are/were very good. Mek sure yuh bring yuh cyar with yuh when yuh coming.

Comment

You're all a RIOT!
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

farming! there is an incessant demand for winter vegetables.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

They have a documentary series called "Paradise Lost" on one of the cable channels, stories about people who relocate to exotic locations with big dreams only to have them smashed to smithereens by reality. One American guy got kidnapped in Columbia by FARC, one English woman moved to Kenya to open a night club and got ripped off every turn she made.

I am half-expecting there to be one about Jamaica , hopefully there won't be.

Comment

no sah yuh crazy...she haffi go deal wid predial larceny and the goat fkrs dem.

Comment

Working...
                          X