How much do teachers get paid in JA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do teachers get paid in JA?

Im just curious, is it a set pay or does it vary from school to school? Can you live comfortably on a teachers salary?

Its been a while since my father was a career teacher in JA but as far as I know things have not changed that much. I will assume you mean teachers in the public school system, whose wages are not supplemented in some way by the school community (I understand this does happen at some schools maybe someone in the know can confirm this).

Most teachers are unionized and so thier wages are negotiated between the govt and the unions. So the pay is basically set based on seniority.

Wages are low for the skill level, the majority of teachers would not be able to buy a house for example.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

To answer your question about living on a teachers salary, the answer is no ,along with nurses its one of the top migrant professions to the USA and Canada.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Awww well, teachers are underpaid everywhere from my experience, but at least in Britain they receive a decent wage. I don't want to live here my whole life though!

Comment

Me too, get into real estate, part time !Your options will open and you will see who holds the power in your world and how they use it.

Eye opener !
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            Me too, get into real estate, part time !Your options will open and you will see who holds the power in your world and how they use it.

Eye opener !
            Real estate in Jamaica?

Comment

Mek mi tell a yuh a likkle ting, MissLondon - most of the forumites do not reside in Jamaica, despite their expressed love and concern for their bawnland.

I am one of the few who has chosen to return home and get my hands dirty in the rebuilding of the country. Maybe around 3 others are on the Rock. The rest live in God Blessed America and Europe

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Mek mi tell a yuh a likkle ting, MissLondon - most of the forumites do not reside in Jamaica, despite their expressed love and concern for their bawnland.

I am one of the few who has chosen to return home and get my hands dirty in the rebuilding of the country. Maybe around 3 others are on the Rock. The rest live in God Blessed America and Europe
                In your opinion, can you live decently in Jamaica on a teachers salary?

Comment

Wow!

Dripping with sarcasm and self-rightousness!
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

then get yourself a towel, Islandman! good gosh! clean that up!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I really don't know. I think teachers are badly paid, but the few that I know not living di worse life! Maybe dem do some drugs on the side?!? Just saying!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How Addi Di Teacher fi migrate and him nah nuh visa?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                          How Addi Di Teacher fi migrate and him nah nuh visa?
                          X is correct!
                          ...also many leave the profession within 2 years!

...as one teacher told me, "yuh caan guh a di cashier an seh let mi tru mi a teacha"!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So on the social and economic scale in Jamaica, teachers are what, lower class? Or should I say have a lower class/poor lifestyle?

Comment

no, not lower class and don't have a poor lifestyle, at least, not in my view. i think they are seeing as part of the struggling working class, the deportee driving crew.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X