X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce the Unbelievable & the Audacity of Coke

Make us believe again, Bruce
    Thursday, April 29, 2010
    Mr Bruce Golding made believers out of Jamaicans when he declared in 1995 that he would walk a new and different path in leadership; he would eschew garrison politics; and he would operate as a creature of the Constitution.
    No doubt, the new political robe made him more attractive and led to his victory at the helm of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) in September 2007, after 18 plus years of the People's National Party (PNP).

Now almost three years in power, Mr Golding and his administration, we believe, are now facing a mid-term crisis of credibility. The populace is rapidly losing faith, and no one needs us to spell out the danger of that state of affairs.
    The obvious area of greatest urgency is the need to get on top of the crime situation. But everyone knows that. Except the Government, which appears impotent as the dead bodies mount.

Thankfully, it has now seen fit to appoint the commissioner of police, so that there can be some certainty about the leadership of the Constabulary Force.
    Commissioner Mr Owen Ellington can lift our spirits immediately by sharing with the country the findings of his promised audit of the JCF armoury, from which thieving individuals, some in the force, removed guns and ammunition for sale on the streets. It's about time.

Next, Mr Golding can improve his credibility greatly by bringing the extradition treaty stand-off with the United States to a swift close, that is, by instructing the attorney general to sign the order so the Jamaican courts can start looking at the issue.

The prime minister, as we have said before, is too close to the issue, being member of parliament for Western Kingston -- of which Mr Christopher 'Dudus' Coke, the man sought by the US, is a constituent -- and leader of the ruling JLP, of which Mr Coke is a known supporter.

While there are many other issues, some much deeper, we think it is instructive that the US embassy was driven to declare that it does not grant visas on the basis of politics. This statement was no doubt inspired by the decreasing number of applicants for non-immigrant visas. As Jamaicans like to say 'tek sleep mark death'.

Tourism Minister Mr Edmund Bartlett in his constant upbeat mood, trots out nice-sounding figures on the performance of the tourist industry. So why is the mood in the industry itself not quite so upbeat?

Unless the effects are felt in the balance sheet, quoting statistics is not credible. Mr Bartlett tells us that tourism grew by 3.6% in 2009, that is compared with declines of 10.2% in Cayman; 11.4% in The Bahamas; 8.7% in Barbados; 15.6% in CancĂșn; and growth of only 3.5% in Cuba, which is on fire at the moment. Then he projects growth of 6% for Jamaica, or earnings of US$2.06 billion in the next year, compared with US$1.9 billion last year.
    With heavy discounts, the industry is fighting for every guest, and with little help from Mr Bartlett, who is largely relying on programmes inherited from the previous administration. (LoL! ah jus now dem si dat!)

Mr Karl Samuda, the industry minister needs to up the decibel in calling on the finance ministry to get import duty waivers on manufacturing equipment going, so this country can produce. We know that the incident of waiver fraud at the finance ministry necessitates greater vigilance, but surely not a cessation of waivers, while equipment sit idle on the wharf.

The state of the economy might not be the fault of the administration, but these are matters which go the heart of its credibility.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
    We know that the incident of waiver fraud at the finance ministry necessitates greater vigilance, but surely not a cessation of waivers, while equipment sit idle on the wharf.
    We know which equipment on the wharf never sits idly!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Relying on programs ?

You have programs and you have execution of programs..

Anybody can build a highway.. the question is how long it takes and how much it costs... see Scandals Whitehouse as an example of PNP execution skills..

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
        Relying on programs ?

You have programs and you have execution of programs..

Anybody can build a highway.. the question is how long it takes and how much it costs... see Scandals Whitehouse as an example of PNP execution skills..
        yuh waan talk execution? take a visit to ed bartlett constituency.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bartlett was in politics when i lived in Jamaica during the 70's. He represented Westmoreland then.

His style (I recall) was to kill a goat close election to mobilise his constituency.

He is following in the foot-steps of Busta Mante(sp?).

When I was likkle--I heard my parents commenting the Busta said: "education can't nam..."
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

lol.. constituency yuh a look pon now..?

A likkle early fi dat but it look like yuh going for bust.. hope yuh survive and nuh bun out too quick..

Mi tyad fi warn yuh.. mi nuh know how you woulda manage 18 years.. yuh cyaan even manage 3 inna di wilderness...

Ah Bwoy..

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              Bartlett was in politics when i lived in Jamaica during the 70's. He represented Westmoreland then.

His style (I recall) was to kill a goat close election to mobilise his constituency.

He is following in the foot-steps of Busta Mante(sp?).

When I was likkle--I heard my parents commenting the Busta said: "education can't nam..."
              ah yes, this must be the source of Jamaica's great respect for education.

Perhaps someone should have told whoever said that phrase (be it Busta or someone whom Busta was quoting) that "education cyann nyam, but ignorance can starve."

Comment

you would be one EXTREMELY bitter person if pnp win next election...

Not that it matters to me. But from reading your posts.........................

Darn you would have coronary occlusion!!!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Um.. not any more bitter than your average PNP-4-Term victim..

Is only Holocaust victim can probably relate...

Comment

Working...
                  X