• Show
Clear All

• Calls for boycott follow Ariz. immigration law

NYT:
    San Francisco officials say they will propose not doing business with state
    By Randal C. Archibold
    The New York Times
    updated 11:02 p.m. ET, Mon., April 26, 2010
    function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false :true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('634079341364830000');
    A spreading call for an economic boycott of Arizona after its adoption of a tough immigration law that opponents consider racially discriminatory worried business leaders on Monday and angered the governor.
    Several immigrant advocates and civil rights groups, joined by members of the San Francisco government, said the state should pay economic consequences for the new law, which gives the police broad power to detain people they reasonably suspect are illegal immigrants and arrest them on state charges if they do not have legal status.
    Critics say the law will lead to widespread ethnic and racial profiling and will be used to harass legal residents and Latino citizens.
    La Opinión, the nation’s largest Spanish-language newspaper, urged a boycott in an editorial Monday, as did the Rev. Al Sharpton, and calls for such action spread to social media sites. The San Francisco city attorney and members of the Board of Supervisors said they would propose that the city not do business with the state.
    A plea not to punish entire state
    They followed the lead of Representative Raúl M. Grijalva, Democrat of Arizona, who had urged conventions to skip the state, though other Democrats who oppose the law, including Mayor Phil Gordon of Phoenix, pleaded for people not to punish the entire state.
    Tourism and convention managers, struggling to rebound from the recession, said it was too soon to tell if the effort would have an impact, but some businesses said people were turning away from the state.
    At the Arizona Inn in Tucson, the manager, Will Conroy, said that over the weekend 12 customers canceled reservations or said they would not return to the state because of the law.
    “This is a very scary situation that the police can now just come up to you for no reason and ask for papers,” Joy Mann, a prospective guest who had previously stayed at the inn, wrote him in an e-mail message. “My son is a construction worker and is very suntanned. I cannot ask him to join us there now, as I would fear for him.”
    Tourism in 'fragile state'
    Tourism officials said such accounts were not widespread, but they were concerned that the rancor was tarnishing the state’s image and were mindful of the boycott in the 1980s that led to Arizona’s officially observing Martin Luther King’s Birthday after initially rejecting it as a holiday.
    “Arizona tourism is currently in a very fragile state of recovery, and the negative perceptions surrounding this legislation are tarnishing Arizona’s image and could easily have a devastating effect on visitation to our state,” the Valley Hotel and Resort Association in Phoenix said in a statement.

Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the bill on Friday, calling it an important step toward public safety that would help control immigration and give the police a tool to root out criminals.
    She criticized opponents for not offering more solutions to problems related to illegal immigration and called the idea of a boycott “disappointing and unfortunate” at a time when the state is reeling from the recession and suffering from border-related crime that “continues to harm our economy and stifle trade.”
    This article, “In wake of immigration law, calls for an economic boycott of Arizona,” first appeared in The New York Times.

Copyright © 2010 The New York Times
    var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
    ');if (typeof FDCPUrl == 'function'){FDCPUrl();}else if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36791991/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/

I hope it catches on.

This law brings back memories of the pass laws of aparthied era South Africa.

The US needs to come up with solutions to deal with their border security issues , but this is certainly not the way to go.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'm happy that Obama came out against it from the beginnning. He could kept quite and measured public sentiment, y'know, what most indecisive leaders would have done.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Police officers have a long history of abusing their power in America when it comes to dealing with people of color. Whereas black men are harassed in America by cops, we can see a similar abusive sh!tuation in Arizona with Latinos.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

And Sarah Palin just stpped short of calling him a racist because of his position. That should bump up her appearance fees among the birthers and another 10% or so!!

BTW you know Arizona also passed a law that anybody running for President in thier state has to present thier birth certificate? Obama in trouble now! Panama Canal-born McCain get whey! LOL!
          Last edited by Islandman; April 29, 2010, 10:46 AM.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
          X