RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is more popular, Bob Marley or Michael Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is more popular, Bob Marley or Michael Jackson?

Interesting responses to this blog. http://gleanerblogs.com/entertainment/?p=53

Last Saturday was the 30th anniversary of Zimbabwe's independence. A day before, BBC carried the story of a man who was there when Bob performed at the Independence Day celebration. He tells us of how he scaled a fence and ran from security guards with batons before disappearing into the crowd. Despite the rush on the venue, they did manage to keep things in check.

Seemed like a big deal. Everyone wanted to catch a glimpse of Bob Marley and when he ascended the throne..sorry, the stage (got a bit carried away there), there was just mayhem. The fellow said he had never heard a sound system as loud as that one. BBC chimed in with Zimbabwe right there. What a powerful and moving song!!!

The whole account sent chills down my spine, and I am happy to know that I saw Bob at the Peace Concert and perhaps another venue (Sunsplash?). My father and I went to the Stadium for the Peace Concert, my father being a big fan, despite his nerdy and very proper self. Historian reminds me of my father, in a way! How embarrassed my father must have been when Peter Tosh proceeds to unleash badwud after badwud pon top a badwud! I remember him, feeling embarrassed for me, no doubt, and trying to break the uncomfortable tension, saying something like, Is that French? I was like, huh?

Mind you, I have never seen MJ in concert. Who knows what impression that could have left on me?!?

But to get back to my point, the question for me would not be who was more popular, but who was more important in my mind. That would clearly be Bob. I think 20 years from now, you will still see thousands more t-shirts of Bob and Che than you'll see of MJ.

Best of all, Bob remained black, even while being half!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Interesting responses to this blog. http://gleanerblogs.com/entertainment/?p=53

Last Saturday was the 30th anniversary of Zimbabwe's independence. A day before, BBC carried the story of a man who was there when Bob performed at the Independence Day celebration. He tells us of how he scaled a fence and ran from security guards with batons before disappearing into the crowd. Despite the rush on the venue, they did manage to keep things in check.

Seemed like a big deal. Everyone wanted to catch a glimpse of Bob Marley and when he ascended the throne..sorry, the stage (got a bit carried away there), there was just mayhem. The fellow said he had never heard a sound system as loud as that one. BBC chimed in with Zimbabwe right there. What a powerful and moving song!!!

The whole account sent chills down my spine, and I am happy to know that I saw Bob at the Peace Concert and perhaps another venue (Sunsplash?). My father and I went to the Stadium for the Peace Concert, my father being a big fan, despite his nerdy and very proper self. Historian reminds me of my father, in a way! How embarrassed my father must have been when Peter Tosh proceeds to unleash badwud after badwud pon top a badwud! I remember him, feeling embarrassed for me, no doubt, and trying to break the uncomfortable tension, saying something like, Is that French? I was like, huh?

Mind you, I have never seen MJ in concert. Who knows what impression that could have left on me?!?

But to get back to my point, the question for me would not be who was more popular, but who was more important in my mind. That would clearly be Bob. I think 20 years from now, you will still see thousands more t-shirts of Bob and Che than you'll see of MJ.

Best of all, Bob remained black, even while being half!
    With his great talent as a showman and the American media machine behind him Michael Jackson is more popular....

Bob being a political messenger is far more powerful, influential & enduring
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

MJ is by far more popular. His record sales are more than enough proof of that. Plus he hit the peak of his career at a time when cable TV, etc was becoming accessible to a much larger audience.

Who is more important? Totally different thing. I don't know of any freedom fighters who talk about listening to MJs music while preparing to fight the oppressors. Remember is Bobs music them was singing when the Berlin Wall come down!
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

still not sure about this popular thing, if evidenced by record sales. if you go up to the most remote bar in the Himalayas, the patrons will probably know about Bob and not MJ! Chuss mi on dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

bob is more popular with me.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Maybe so, but how many people live up there?

Judging from the Asians that I have met, it seems to me that MJ is more well known in the large urban areas.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              bob is more popular with me.

...me too!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

True dat, proportionately he really is too.

Bkessed

Comment

michael jackson is more popular, imho... as to who is more inspiring, that is another issue... in that case, i would guess bob marley because of his messages...

as to popularity, know in the 'four corners of the world', without question michael jackson, even if many do not identify with him...
                  'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

lol... mosiah, it has been revealed that michael jackson had an extreme case of vitiligo among other medical conditions...

we can put to bed the idea that he was trying to be white... even the american media has gotten off that horse... in fact, since his death and his numerous medical issues have been revealed, many in the media have felt ashamed that they had treated mj that harshly... their excuse is, they did not know...

Comment

sorry, not buying it. it's one thing to apply make up to cover vitiligo effects, quite another to have a nose that is whiter than farrah fawcett's!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ok sah... afta mi nah sell nutten...

Comment

Working...
                        X