• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brits like Ja's school system, but behaviour needs checking

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead4.html

Britons Like Jamaican School System, But Say Behaviour Needs To Be Checked
    Published: Saturday | April 17, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

A group of educators from the United Kingdom who were in the island to observe teaching strategies in the Jamaican education system.- Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer
    Nadisha Hunter, Gleaner Writer

A group of British educators has praised the Jamaican school system but said more work needed to be done to address behavioural problems here.

Ark Academy network of schools, which was on a seven-day visit to the island, was here to observe the delivery patterns in Jamaican classrooms with the aim of developing strategies to improve its own education system..........

Choice quotes from article:

A group of British educators has praised the Jamaican school system but said more work needed to be done to address behavioural problems here.

Ark Academy network of schools, which was on a seven-day visit to the island, was here to observe the delivery patterns in Jamaican classrooms with the aim of developing strategies to improve its own education system.
    Surely these educators must realise something that we are missing......

Issues explored

Among the issues explored were strategies to improve literacy and numeracy, as well as addressing perceived lack of interest among students.

"We have already seen some fantastic practices which excite us, and I know when we go back to England we will share these ideas with our colleagues so that they could use the strategies," she added.
    So they are excited about the practices (calling them "fantastic") to improve literacy and numeracy. Obviously something must be right. Especially considering that Jamaica's system is derived from the older system that Britain used to have and which worked out fine for improving British literacy and numeracy in the past.

But Holland noted that the lack of discipline displayed by some of the island's students was cause for great concern.

She said while the introduction of deans of discipline in schools was a move in the right direction, more was needed to reverse student delinquency.
    That says a lot.

Comment

This Happens Every Day

Originally posted by ReggaeMike View Post
      Surely these educators must realise something that we are missing......

So they are excited about the practices (calling them "fantastic") to improve literacy and numeracy. Obviously something must be right.
      That says a lot.
      Mike, one word sums up these responses: Euphemism.

Do we seriously expect a critical or serious analytical response to the desperate “positive-expectation-from-the-visit” questions from a journalist?

Positive, carefully worded replies such as this happens all the time whenever foreigners visit a country and the media requests comments. The response of choice is almost always to make a few complimentary statements, with words carefully (and hypocritically) chosen. The crucial answers are left for the confidential reports; that is, for the reports turned in to their superiors following such visits.

Comment

Since when we dont have deans of discipline?

That was a central figure at StGC in my time.

I have seen British students in action...even on YouTube with a Jamaican teacher to boot. The behaviour was atrocious and it was obvious that the teachers hands were tied. She would NOT have put up with that in Jamaica!!!!

Comment

hmmmmm..why were they in jamaica to begin with? dem waste them time going somewhere to learn from negative re-inforcement?

i believe that they have seen how jamaican students who have passed a certain level of schooling in JA perform consistently well in the UK.

my my nephew was at wolmers doing amediocre job, he has been in the U K for less than a year and is EXCELLING.

it may not all beaboutsayng sethng nice in order to be PC, why mention the level of indiscipline then?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The study nuh hurt still, but it look like a little vacation inna the works.

Willi not all schools have dean of discipline. The only disciplinarian a Titchfield in my days was the principal. He did a good job but a dean maybe would have helped.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Didnt you have the merit and demerit system?>

For us, when you late 3 times in a week, after the third time you serve a 20 minute detention with the Dean in the detention room. Miss that and you get a late-no-show, ie its like a bench warrant going out after you and its a hlf-hour detention to be served. Miss that and you get a demerit and a one hour detention. Miss that and its doubled, miss that and its tripled, miss that and its an automatic sussy (suspension). Dont deal with that by bringing in the parents and its an expulsion!

Comment

No Willi we didn't have that system at all.

At Titchfield half of the students had to travel. Some had to travel up to 30 miles from Annotto Bay to the west and places like long bay and up inna Buff Bay hills. We had to take train, or Jones mail bus, irving bus etc. so now and then we coulda get a bly.

It was mainly mainly the teacher in the classroom that would report to the prinicpal or VP. They had a detention room but I can only remember the who class getting detention. We often end up in the Principal or VP office and they determined if it was worth caning, suspending, notes, or even cleaning up the place.

For the kids from Port Antonio the prinicpal would meet them at the gate sometimes and give them stuff to do like carry rocks etc. so most a "stush" girls etc. wouldn't want to carry big stones or clean up the place so they would be early.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

caan escape

Comment

Working...
                  X