RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With PNP & JLP corrupt is a 3rd party the solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With PNP & JLP corrupt is a 3rd party the solution?

..... seems like people are coming around to my thesis of several years ago that the 2 tribes (as currently led & operated) are hopeless.

Question is: What's the solution?

Politricks or politics?

LLoyd B Smith

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It is not that politics is a bad thing in itself. It is that politicians have corrupted it. Confused? So am I every time I hear some of our politicians speak. Simply put, politics is the art or science of government. Good politics therefore suggests good governance. Conversely, bad politics stems from bad governance, or vice versa.

Since 1962 when Jamaica attained political independence, both the Jamaica Labour Party and the People's National Party have for the most part mismanaged the affairs of this country. While there have been sparks of success and positive developments, the bad has outweighed the good to the extent that today one of the media's most widely read and revered political columnists, Mark Wignall, has had to once more put on the table the possibility of a "third party" emerging from the moral morass this nation is in to salvage the good ship Jamaica that has foundered on the rocks of corruption, incompetence and arrogance.

Tension between the PNPYO and the flag-bearers in that party as well as the surrender by MP and Education Minister Andrew Holness (left) in the JLP to Mayor and Senator Desmond McKenzie are glaring examples of how difficult it is for young blood to be sufficiently infused in these parties.
    [Hide Description] Tension between the PNPYO and the flag-bearers in that party as well as the surrender by MP and Education Minister Andrew Holness (left) in the JLP to Mayor and Senator Desmond McKenzie are glaring examples of how difficult it is for young blood to be sufficiently infused in these parties.
    [Restore Description]
    1/1

In his thought-provoking and well-written article in the latest issue of the Sunday Observer, Wignall argued that based on the current scenario, the electorate may well decide that both the ruling JLP and the Opposition PNP should be put out to pasture. But who or what is to fill that vacuum? After all, Nature abhors a vacuum. While area leaders and dons have been making serious inroads into the body politic, the country's self-styled "third party", the National Democratic Movement, is not even a blip on the radar, hence the perception that Jamaica, even at this stage, does not have a third party. Those who still cling to the flotsam and jetsam of a sinking NDM after its so-called founder Bruce Golding scuttled it (whether wittingly or unwittingly) had better take note. Perhaps it is time that the NDM revisit its modus operandi because it does appear that in real terms it is being seen as a mere coming together of JLP and PNP malcontents.

Then again, maybe the NDM should change its name to the National Democratic Party (NDP) so as to fit more comfortably into the political genre of the day. "Movement" suggests more of a pressure group which is what the Golding-led NDM started out as, then "politricks" stepped in and the rest is history. If the NDM is to succeed at the polls, it will have to come out of the typical mode of being seen as yet another distributor of scarce benefits and spoils waiting in the wings to get its turn at the trough. In other words, its would-be parliamentary and parish council representatives should seek to convince the people that they are not just another set of "tricksters". In the meantime, the real problem facing the NDM is that it wants to go after the whole hog. And given the entrenched nature of our two-party "conspiracy", no third, fourth or fifth party is going to be able to stroll down Duke Street as the constitutionally recognised government.

So is there a real alternative outside of the JLP and PNP? Purists may well argue that what ideally should happen is that well-thinking and honest, patriotic persons (preferably youngsters) should infiltrate the JLP and the PNP and help transform or reform those two political giants, both of which have lost their way. However, such successive attempts in recent history have been vigorously rebuffed by members of the old guard who continue to wield far-reaching power inside these parties. The ongoing tension between the PNPYO and the flag-bearers in that party as well as the surrender by Member of Parliament and Education Minister Andrew Holness in the JLP to the fierce ambitions of party old-timer and heavyweight Mayor and Senator Desmond McKenzie are glaring examples of how difficult it is for young blood to be sufficiently infused in these parties. Is it that one should not seek to pour new wine in old wine skins?

Furthermore, it may well be argued that "youth heeds nothing" because as my colleague columnist Mark Wignall has intimated in his latest article, the youngsters who engineered Edward Seaga's departure from his throne at Belmont Road and saw to the enthronement of the Golden One, Bruce Golding, are yet to show their true mettle. Is it that it is a classic case of no better herring, no better barrel, when it comes to our young and old politicians? God help us!

Against this background, it is my fervent view that what Jamaica's politics needs at this time is a good dose of independent thought and action. But is this possible in such a polarised political culture as ours? After all, the Jamaican electorate has always frowned on "independents", treating them as being neither fish nor fowl - lukewarm propositions that must be spat out rather than swallowed with relish. Can an independent candidate win an election in today's Jamaica? Methinks it is possible but then the next question would be, what difference can such a person make in parliament? I do believe that two, three, four or even five independents in Gordon House could make a world of difference to how both the JLP and PNP conduct the people's business. And not just as spoilers but as watchdogs in the nation's best interest, especially now that it would appear that no one party is likely to have a landslide victory. Jamaicans need to abandon their narrow-minded approach to the electing of officials and look at the bigger picture - that of preserving our democratic way of life while ensuring that neither the JLP nor the PNP can hold us to ransom every five years or so.

In this vein, the new beginning that so many Jamaicans talk about can become a reality. Maybe this will not happen in our lifetime, but we should do this for the benefit of future generations of Jamaicans. Special interest groups with the ability to raise funds as well as well-endowed individuals should identify people of integrity, compassion and courage who will be willing to put up an independent candidate and fight for Jamaica, land we love.

This may seem far-fetched or even suicidal, but history has shown that every great feat or idea was embraced and catapulted into human existence by an individual or a small group of committed souls. Jamaica needs such a movement at this time. Indeed, only a true spirit of independence can counter the overwhelming advancement of "politricks" - the art of fooling most of the people most of the time. Think Jamaica, think independent!

lloydbsmith@hotmail.com
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

While you guys sort out di 3rd party.. juss mek sure One Party is kept in opposition...

You would be surprised what sound disciplined policy leading to economic development and ergo improved education can allow..

Jawge call it trickle down.. him prefer total drought.. or evaporation.. lol !

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
      ..... seems like people are coming around to my thesis of several years ago that the 2 tribes (as currently led & operated) are hopeless.

Question is: What's the solution?

Politricks or politics?

LLoyd B Smith

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It is not that politics is a bad thing in itself. It is that politicians have corrupted it. Confused? So am I every time I hear some of our politicians speak. Simply put, politics is the art or science of government. Good politics therefore suggests good governance. Conversely, bad politics stems from bad governance, or vice versa.

Since 1962 when Jamaica attained political independence, both the Jamaica Labour Party and the People's National Party have for the most part mismanaged the affairs of this country. While there have been sparks of success and positive developments, the bad has outweighed the good to the extent that today one of the media's most widely read and revered political columnists, Mark Wignall, has had to once more put on the table the possibility of a "third party" emerging from the moral morass this nation is in to salvage the good ship Jamaica that has foundered on the rocks of corruption, incompetence and arrogance.

In his thought-provoking and well-written article in the latest issue of the Sunday Observer, Wignall argued that based on the current scenario, the electorate may well decide that both the ruling JLP and the Opposition PNP should be put out to pasture. But who or what is to fill that vacuum? After all, Nature abhors a vacuum. While area leaders and dons have been making serious inroads into the body politic, the country's self-styled "third party", the National Democratic Movement, is not even a blip on the radar, hence the perception that Jamaica, even at this stage, does not have a third party. Those who still cling to the flotsam and jetsam of a sinking NDM after its so-called founder Bruce....

Hang on, As much as I might applaud Mr. Smith's argument as it mirrors what I have been saying (that even 3 independents in government might cause a radical shift in how the PNP and JLP conduct business in the House and could pave the way for an end to their dominance), I have to wonder which Sunday Observer he was reading. I read the Sunday Observer and I don't recall Wignall so much as even hinting at a third party. It was all about JLP and PNP (typical for Wignall since he has on blinders).

Did Smith read a draft of Wignall's article that got changed before it was published?

Comment

Originally posted by ReggaeMike View Post
        Hang on, As much as I might applaud Mr. Smith's argument as it mirrors what I have been saying (that even 3 independents in government might cause a radical shift in how the PNP and JLP conduct business in the House and could pave the way for an end to their dominance), I have to wonder which Sunday Observer he was reading. I read the Sunday Observer and I don't recall Wignall so much as even hinting at a third party. It was all about JLP and PNP (typical for Wignall since he has on blinders).

Did Smith read a draft of Wignall's article that got changed before it was published?
        He seems to rate Wignall for some unknown reason.... to each his own.

Maybe Wignall had mentioned some third party scenarios in earlier articles...he certainly didn't in his last piece.... not that I can recall anyway.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
        X