X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 plus a Day

Where did the years go?
    It seems like yesterday when I confidently sat the Common Entrance thing
    then waited nervously and wondered what the results would bring.

Where did the years go?
    I remember taking the JOS bus from downtown up to Paine
    to sneak some time with my teenage queen

Where did the years go?
    I remember the years when XLCR ruled the roost at Girls Champs.
    And I remember clearly when Riverton City was nothing but dumps.

Where did the years go?
    I recall a Mail Bus running from Slipe Road to St Mary
    And my Saturday morning treks to the Tom Redcam Library.

Where did the years go?
    I remember Joshua, the rod, JAMAL, Crash program, Free Education
    And, how can I forget, DK Duncan and his Ministry of Mobilization!

Where did the years go?
    I remember Gun-Boat Beach, Bailey's Beach, Hot-n-Cold, Helshire and Mineral Bath.
    And I remember coming home late from Dunn's River Falls and catching my mother's wrath.

Where did the years go?
    I remember Vikings, Clarks, Gunmouth pants, Seaman Khaki, Arrow shirts and the Turtle Neck.
    And I can even remember as far back as wearing Tarzan shoes at St Alloysious Prep.

Where did the years go?
    I remember a thing called JSE exams and how my mother forced me to sit through the tedium.
    And I remember running from school after exam one evening to catch a match at stadium.

Where did the years go?
    I remember when man used to walk from Downtown to Three miles late at night.
    And I remember when I would go to Tivoli, Jungle or Rema anytime without any fright.

Where did the years go?
    I remember playing a Colts game up at Trench Town High School one evening quite late.
    And I remember half the team walking home and didn't care or worry about our fate.

Where did the years go?
    I remember going to Gemini's sessions at 7 Londsdale Avenue somewhere off Molynes Road.
    And I remember not worrying about the badman, the gun, the bullet, the knife or the sword.

Where did the years go?
    I remember walking from Vineyard Town to The Queens Cinema at the edge of Tivoli Garden.
    And I remember that if you stepped on a man's toes everything was criss if you said pardon.

Where did the years go?
    I remember the joyous and wondrous years of 1st through 4th forms and then the unwelcome 5-form jitteries.
    I remember GCE exams, the results, the euphoria, some going off to Cuba and others having parties.

Where did the years go?
    I remember 1976 very well because it was my GCE year and also one of Joshua's Election year.
    I remember the paucity of imported goods, the scarcity of water and the maturity of fear.

Where did the years go?
    I remember spending 1979 in England then going back home in 1980 to a bloody election.
    I remember deciding against UWI and then flying to New York to escape the violence and tension.

Where did the years go?
    It seems like it was yesterday when I left New York and came down to Miami to finally stay.
    I was just a young man then barely into my twenties, and now April 9th and I'm 50 plus a day.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

happy belated birthday to the poet!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Bless mi Idren!
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Happy belated birthday forum poet.

Where did the years go?
        I remember going to Gemini's sessions at 7 Londsdale Avenue somewhere off Molynes Road.
        And I remember not worrying about the badman, the gun, the bullet, the knife or the sword
        Those days you were only fraid of duppy!
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

yeah man them mail and victor bus use to run the route. Mr Jones also owned the yellow cabs.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Nice!!!

Happy Birth Day 'ole Farmah!!

Time has always been constant.

Just that when we were young whippersnappers...Easter , Christmas and our birthday took extremely long to come. Summer holidays appear very long. Sometimes we just could not wait to get back to school......

Maybe it's because with age--we have some much to do. Time appear to fly as they say.

But time has not sped up nor slowed down. It's been the same.

Can you imagine its nearly half the year already!!???

Time really flies!

Happy birthday Lab Pardna!!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

congrats !

Welcome to the Club.

Comment

Nice, very nice...happy belated...
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Shyte, me not as old as you
                  but me memba most of dem dere tings too

Me also went to St. Aloysius Primary and not Prep
                  But me can forgive you, due to old age yuh start mis-step

Den Maudib yuh ole Labourite
                  Me neva know seh yuh so old til yuh head a tun white

Congrats on turning 50 and I hope everything is working fine
                  Soon you'll be joining Karl down at Shady Pines
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

di PNP age me 10 additional years..

Suh me feel 50..

Comment

wikid! congrats!
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Thanks Don1, HL, MdmeX, Sass, Maudib, Jangle, Sickko and everyone for the acknowledgement. Bless Up to all. Now I'm gonna go hit the road.
                        Last edited by Farmah; April 9, 2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

When you're youngER you can't wait for so many things; drivers licence, age of majority so you could drink in public, your first girlfriend/boyfriend, can't wait fi "bruk yu ducks" (pun?) , finish school, university (or whatever) own you first cyar, have yuh first child etc etc... den all of a sudden yuh reach 50!

Very well said bredrin. Welcome to the club...enjoy life and may you enjoy many more birthdays...
                          Peter R

Comment

farmah... belated happy birthday... nice read... at least yuh still have yuh memory... lol... hold de faith... may yu live tuh experience another healthy 50 yrs...

blessings king son...
                            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Nice!
                              HAPPY BIRTHDAY...or as THE EMPEROR would say, HAPPY EARTH DAY! May you have many, many more.

...yup? ...you can say it again - Yesterday running around in short pants, today in SHADY PINES! ...Yet...Blessings!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X