Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More fun, more paint at Smirnoff Beach J'ouvert

Wednesday, April 07, 2010
    The azure waters of the Caribbean Sea at James Bond Beach, Oracabessa proved to be the perfect backdrop for more fun, more paint and tons more bacchanal revelry at Smirnoff Beach J'ouvert last Saturday April 3.
    With soca melodies blaring through speakers courtesy of DJ Smoke of Renaissance, Private Ryan of Miami and DJ Omar C of Sparkles Productions, revellers danced their way into the venue filled with all the amenities a socaphile could want, including, fashionable hats, Hawaiian leis, a foam pit and numerous bars.

These patrons got into the spirit of Soca.
    This twosome share a moment for the lens.
    var caption4318200 = document.getElementById('photocaption4318200').inn erHTML; var caption4318192 = document.getElementById('photocaption4318192').inn erHTML; var caption4318165 = document.getElementById('photocaption4318165').inn erHTML; var caption4318164 = document.getElementById('photocaption4318164').inn erHTML; var mygallery=new fadeSlideShow({ wrapperid: "fadeshow1", //ID of blank DIV on page to house Slideshow dimensions: [370, 245], //width/height of gallery in pixels. Should reflect dimensions of largest image imagearray: [ ["http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/4318200/beach-jouvert2_w370.jpg", "", "", caption4318200 ], ["http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/4318192/Beach-jouvertjpg_w370.jpg", "", "", caption4318192 ], ["http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/4318165/jouvert_w370.jpg", "", "", caption4318165 ], ["http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/4318164/jouvert2_w370.jpg", "", "", caption4318164 ] ], displaymode: {type:'manual', pause:3000, cycles:0, wraparound:false}, persist: false, //remember last viewed slide and recall within same session? fadeduration: 500, //transition duration (milliseconds) descreveal: "always", togglerid: "slideshowtoggler" })

These patrons got into the spirit of Soca.

1/4
    Hearing drums pulsating, early patrons gathered by the front of the stage to witness a moving up-tempo African inspired dance by L'Acadco dancers sponsored by Coca Cola. "That was a good performance, and something I didn't necessarily expect to see here. But I am happy I did," said Kamieca Reid.
    The event got that much better when buckets of paint with the colours red and green came out, much to patrons delight. Many could be seen gathering paint in cups and while taking in the music and dancing, simultaneously smearing their friends with paint...all I good fun. And for those who chose to remain paint free a 'no paint' zone was allocated on site for a less colourful but still enjoyable experience.
    With the sun having set and revellers resembling life like dancing canvases of art, dancehall crooner Leftside of Tuck In U Belly and Dr Evil fame broke the onstage performance ice and was well received by the crowd.
    Next up was dancehall dancer-turned-singer Ding Dong who brought his whole Ravers Clavers crew on stage to perform with him. Singing notable songs such as Skip To Ma Lu and Holiday an initially clean Ding Dong ended his set streaked with paint and loving it.
    "I am going to be honest I did not know that a soca crowd would have appreciated me and the Ravers Clavers as much as they did, I guess it just goes to show that no matter the music, from it is good and the vibe is there people will appreciate it. I am now sold on Bacchanal," said Ding Dong after his set.
    Then came the headliners of the night, husband-and-wife soca team Fay-Ann Lyons and Bunji Garlin who were warmly welcomed by the crowd. Getting straight to business, backed by the Asylum Band the two alternated songs with her most notable ones being Heavy T and Super Blue, and his Party Animal and Dance Mus Have. For more than an hour the two kept the venue moving, and even showed the masses that they could also drop rhymes rapper style with quick vocal delivery. They displayed a synergy which confirmed their dominance of the art.
    "The Jamaican crowd is always welcoming, but this was my first Beach J'ouvert and with the vibe of the crowd I would do it again," said Garlin after his performance.

thanks for reminding me why i hate carnival and soca music!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

why cause all the sexy Jamaican women go ....

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
        Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Next up was dancehall dancer-turned-singer Ding Dong who brought his whole Ravers Clavers crew on stage to perform with him. Singing notable songs such as Skip To Ma Lu and Holiday an initially clean Ding Dong ended his set streaked with paint and loving it.
        "I am going to be honest I did not know that a soca crowd would have appreciated me and the Ravers Clavers as much as they did, I guess it just goes to show that no matter the music, from it is good and the vibe is there people will appreciate it. I am now sold on Bacchanal," said Ding Dong after his set.
        mosiah all he needs to do is go to a soca fete get jam by a sexy woman and he a soca head

Comment

sexy woman deh a dancehall party. in any case, mi nuh waan nuhbody jam mi. i will do the daggerin, thank you!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

heh heh! is not like dere is a shortrage. some lef ova fi di dancehall party dem tuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it is that time of year again, already!!? where nyamdirt try to convince mosiah, and apparently himself, of the superiority of soca music ...... all in vain, because the premise is false!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                it is that time of year again, already!!? where nyamdirt try to convince mosiah, and apparently himself, of the superiority of soca music ...... all in vain, because the premise is false!
                An African American consider hiphop superior
                A Jamaican considers Dancehall superior
                A trini consider soca superior

Mi nuh need to convince mosiah of that... Plus look at the backlash dancehall getting

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
                  An African American consider hiphop superior
                  A Jamaican considers Dancehall superior
                  A trini consider soca superior

Mi nuh need to convince mosiah of that... Plus look at the backlash dancehall getting

Well here's a Jamaican who likes all 3 (as well as reggae, calypso and many other forms of music besides) and considers none superior to the other.

Comment

poor yuh! soca is clearly a primitive art form, despite it's youth.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      poor yuh! soca is clearly a primitive art form, despite it's youth.
                      what eva you know you like sparrow and kitchener mosiah

Comment

sparrow, yes!

kitchener... a who name suh?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X