Chinese TV in Jamaica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese TV in Jamaica?

I hear that China has now mandated that Engish be taught in all their schools from the age of THREE!

China positioning themselves well in Jamaica and the world.
    Chinese media proposal troubles local interest group

Published: Tuesday | April 6, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Vaz.

The Media Association Jamaica (MAJ) is in the dark about a proposal being considered by the Government to allow Chinese entities to start operating a radio and television station locally. Almost one week after Information Minister Daryl Vaz made the announcement at the weekly post-Cabinet media briefing, there has been no official word from the Government to the MAJ on what is being proposed.
    "It would be surprising having regard to where we are now and the number of radio and television stations operating that the Government would be in the process of establishing another one," Gary Allen, chairman of the MAJ, told The Gleaner yesterday.
    "The MAJ is not sure what this Government's media policy is. We have requested details on the media policy and have been told that we would be advised, but so far that has not happened," Allen added.
    With three free-to-air television stations, several cable stations and more than 20 radio stations, the local media landscape is considered crowded with most stations depending on advertising revenue to survive.
    But Vaz told The Gleaner that it was not proposed that the Chinese entities would compete with the local free-to-air stations such as TVJ, CVM and Love TV for the advertising dollar.
    "That is not yet worked out but it is unlikely," Vaz told The Gleaner yesterday.
    He was responding to questions arising from his initial announcement at the post-Cabinet media briefing.
    "The Cabinet has given approval for the pursuit of discussions in respect to a proposal received for cooperation between the Govern-ment of Jamaica and the Government of The People's Republic of China to transmit Chinese programmes over free-to-air radio and television stations," Vaz told the media briefing.
    He said discussions were held at a ministerial level with a delegation from China Radio International and China Central Television on the possibility of establishing the stations.
    "(This is) To promote Jamaica-China relations and to deepen the appreciation and understanding of Chinese culture," added Vaz.
    The official relationship between Jamaica and China began in 1972 and has deepened since then with economic and technical co-operation in several areas.

Discussions were held with a delegation from China Radio International and China Central Television on the possibility of establishing stations locally.

Heh, Heh..

The Chess board coming more into focus for some.. less so for others...

While some countries major in the minor.. others are positioning for strategic penetration.. Obama better have a talk with Hillary..

lol !

Comment

They just started a Newspaper in Trinidad....

Comment

Sumpting smells wong here!!! Why would China want to establish media outlets in Jamaica where the chinese population is so minute? This CANNOT be considered a profitable venture for the chinese. Are they preparing for an invasion?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Not all negitive. It they are going to send the tourist then it would be good to have a media outlet as their culture is totally foriegn to ours plus it may draw a lot of chinese-american visitors to our shores too.

You nuh hear Ben them say 500 million coming?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Not all negitive. It they are going to send the tourist then it would be good to have a media outlet as their culture is totally foriegn to ours plus it may draw a lot of chinese-american visitors to our shores too.

You nuh hear Ben them say 500 million coming?
            500 million what? tourists?

Last time I saw that figure banded about the forum it seemed to be in relation to money (whether a loan or a grant it wasn't implied, but then that isn't so unusual, we Jamaicans seem unable to understand the difference anyway).

Comment

500 million is total funding from the Chinese.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yep...the re-election slush fund..... run wid it 2!! LoL!
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Really Makes No Sense

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  Sumpting smells wong here!!! Why would China want to establish media outlets in Jamaica where the chinese population is so minute? This CANNOT be considered a profitable venture for the chinese. Are they preparing for an invasion?
                  Good question, Jangle. In addition, why on earth would Jamaica need yet another broadcast media outlet? Surely we have enough radio and television stations (including cable television) to serve whatever information or entertainment needs Jamaicans (including Jamaican Chinese who have long been culturally acclimatized) can possibly have! What else on earth can the Chinese bring via their television that any Jamaican citizen needs?

Also, is there the necessity for another media house competing for scarce advertising revenue in a tiny, fragile economy?

This, in my mind, is without question the silliest proposal to be put forward to Jamaicans in this already eventful and silly year 2010. If this is comedy, then I fail to see anything funny.
                  Last edited by Historian; April 6, 2010, 11:41 AM. Reason: Substituting the more appropriate word “acclimatized” instead of “acclimated” (lol)

Comment

What kind of funding?

Loan.....or Grant?

Because Jamaica most certainly does NOT need another US$500 million loan. It would be like giving heroin to a morphine-addict.

According to the government, delinquent tax payers owe more in just taxes alone (forget about penalties) than the amount of money they went to borrow from the IMF. Cut costs and offer carrots (waiver of penalties) and sticks (bar access to government programmes for those who cannot produce a yearly tax-certificate or a tax-exemption certificate or something along those lines - yeah, there would graft/corruption, but it might remove some of those who leech off programmes funded by tax payers money while they can pay tax and don't).

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                      Good question, Jangle. In addition, why on earth would Jamaica need yet another broadcast media outlet? Surely we have enough radio and television stations (including cable television) to serve whatever information or entertainment needs Jamaicans (including Jamaican Chinese who have long been culturally acclimatized) can possibly have! What else on earth can the Chinese bring via their television that any Jamaican citizen needs?

Also, is there the necessity for another media house competing for scarce advertising revenue in a tiny, fragile economy?

This, in my mind, is without question the silliest proposal to be put forward to Jamaicans in this already eventful and silly year 2010. If this is comedy, then I fail to see anything funny.
                      It's very unlikely that these state funded media organs would be seeking ad revenue out of Jamaica.

Such outlets are used by powerful countries to transmit their worldview to markets they consider important in order to create a favorable opinion of their country in that market.... eg BBC, VOA, Russian TV, etc

one gets such stations on US cable...entirely supported by their govt or sometimes advertisers out of their home market.

nothing to be alarmed about in this globalized world...in fact we should welcome it.
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I guess it all depends what that $500 Million is buying.. does it not ?

As for loan fears.. it also depends on what that the cost of the money is...

Yuh have PNP type borrowing and yuh have sensible borrowing..

lol !

Comment

you can see the average Jamaican tuning in?

If the Chinese building it, then it must be for their audience. They must be looking ahead.

Comment

It is likely to be a non-commercial station that would broadcast feel good stories from China. You can find a few of those China Central Television (CCTV) stations on satellite TV. They mostly air cultural programs, and stories of China's assistance in the third world etc.
                            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

it them nah bring dancehall and Comedy then they would better have their own audiences.

Then again some man watch Kung fu and Karate all day.

Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X