Welcome to Jamrock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Jamrock!

“It is this tendency of the suffering community to turn their anger inward, against themselves, that has made Jamaica one of the most frightening places in which to live. The anger is expressed spontaneously and at random. There are numerous cases of rape, murder, armed robbery, malicious wounding, etc., recorded directly inside the community.”
    Clarke, Sebastian: “Jah Music: The Evolution of the Popular Jamaican Song”; Heinemann Educational Books (1981), pages 88-89

A SHOCKING DEATH ON EASTER SUNDAY MORNING
    BY COREY ROBINSON Observer staff reporter
    robinsonc@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, April 05, 2010

THE relatives of Jamaica Urban Transit Company employee Everton Parchment are clamouring for justice, following his killing by the police early Easter Sunday morning.

Parchment, 32, died at the Kingston Public Hospital about 12:20, after he was shot by a policeman during a spot check on Spanish Town Road in Kingston, 10 minutes earlier.

According to his brother-in-law, Kevin Clarke, who witnessed the shooting, the incident occurred when they and two female friends were heading home from a wedding reception in Portmore, St Catherine.

"He (Everton) was driving and as we reached the vicinity of the St Andrew Technical High School, we saw someone standing in the roadway," said Clarke.

"We came down closer to the person and that was when we saw that it was a policeman and I said, 'Eva, is a police so try stop', and he did," continued Clarke, adding that what happened next was a shocker to everyone in the car and the other members of the patrol team.

Mere seconds after the vehicle stopped, and without a word, Clarke said, the officer opened fire hitting Parchment in the left side of his neck.

"I just heard the explosion, and after I heard it I jumped out of the vehicle and started asking the police what the shooting was for," Clarke said, adding that the frightened females began screaming.

"But then I realised I didn't hear Everton, so I went back into the car and saw him slumped to his left side," he recalled.

Clarke said after shaking Parchment repeatedly, he replied, "Teach, me aggo dead"; one of his last sentences as he gasped for air, he said.

The incident has left Parchment's sister, Audria, crippled with grief.
    The despondent woman spent much of yesterday trying to find answers as to why her brother was killed in the manner he was.

"Why them kill him? He is not a gunman, he is a hard-working man coming from wedding? Tell me why?" she cried, her voice cracking in anger after each sentence.

Yesterday, Deputy Police Superintendent Arthur Brown, head of the Kingston West Police Division, while confessing that he knew about the incident, declined to comment on it.

Head of the Bureau of Special Investigations (BSI) Superintendent Granville Gause, however, said an investigation had been launched into the shooting, and that he was expecting to get a report on it soon.

"The BSI is investigating the matter, from morning the team has been out there and I have indicated to them that I need all statements and other information to be done and reported to me today," he said.

that could have been me.

heading downtown after champs on saturday i suddenly found myself "surrounded" by the sound of gunshots. at the same time, a police hilux swung around a corner and headed up the wrong way of the one way straight i was coming down. I did not know what the hell was happening. i thought the police was shooting at me! i pulled over, crouched low in my vehicle as the police vehicle pulled over on the other side of the road, a cop jumped out with m-16 in hand and fired into an abandoned lot where someone had just run into. my bredren in the car shouted, drive, drive! and i took off. he had noticed that someone had flown around the corner ahead of the police vehicle, and it was he who the police was in hot pursuit.

suppose the "thug" had chosen to run across the road in front of my vehicle, would the police have been responsible and restrained enuff to hold fire, lest they hit innocent users of the road, namely moi?!? suppose the thug was firing back, could I have been collateral damage since the police vehicle chose to stop alongside mine?

i don't know if this JUTC driver was targeted, or just the victim of careless fire by a cop, but my own recent experience could have ended up similar.

i hope we get justice in this case.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thank Goodness You're Safe!

Thankfully you are safe, boss!! We have to give genuine thanks for mercies such as this. In fact, reading your description was, for me, almost like watching an action/drama movie!

Jamaica’s policemen and women, despite their shortcomings, must be among the most stressed out law enforcement entities in the Americas (not including Mexico and maybe El Salvador and Colombia). On the one hand, they are faced with a political leadership that seems to be completely and blissfully unaware that crime is out of control (see this morning’s Daily Gleaner editorial), and on the other hand they are faced with the most armed and callous criminals that exist anywhere in the Caribbean!! Add to this a culture of “informer fe dead” (popularised by dancehall artists) and communities that either firmly believe in this or are forced to practice this silence because of fears for their lives (a fear which is completely understandable) and it’s no wonder so many are quitting the police force!

It’s an unenviable situation, and my heart bleeds as I watch what my country has become .

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      that could have been me.

heading downtown after champs on saturday i suddenly found myself "surrounded" by the sound of gunshots. at the same time, a police hilux swung around a corner and headed up the wrong way of the one way straight i was coming down. I did not know what the hell was happening. i thought the police was shooting at me! i pulled over, crouched low in my vehicle as the police vehicle pulled over on the other side of the road, a cop jumped out with m-16 in hand and fired into an abandoned lot where someone had just run into. my bredren in the car shouted, drive, drive! and i took off. he had noticed that someone had flown around the corner ahead of the police vehicle, and it was he who the police was in hot pursuit.

suppose the "thug" had chosen to run across the road in front of my vehicle, would the police have been responsible and restrained enuff to hold fire, lest they hit innocent users of the road, namely moi?!? suppose the thug was firing back, could I have been collateral damage since the police vehicle chose to stop alongside mine?

i don't know if this JUTC driver was targeted, or just the victim of careless fire by a cop, but my own recent experience could have ended up similar.

i hope we get justice in this case.

Comment

Thanks! I give thanks for being around to tell the tale!

I wasn't trying to dramatise it, but maybe it's good for you to "feel" what happened to me. It was indeed frightening!

I agree! Our police do have a difficult job and the public sometimes does not understand this. Including me!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Stress out don't mean they should be careless.
          When I was a youth I saw something in cross roads. A policeman I knew was walking down the road draping a crown and anchor man and was taking him to crossroads police station. Now the crown and anchor man ran out of the policema grip and headed accross the road toward the cross road post office. You know the post office on the outside is always full. The police took his gun and shot at the escapee. It was Gods blessing how somebody didn't get shot as the police fired as it was about 5:30 in the afternoon and people was waiting for bus.

Now is it worth it to shoot a man who is escaping for playing crown and anchor. Now I know the police must feel embarrass but he should never shoot in a crowd like that.

Some of them simply need training and to be charged for their carelessless.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuh lucky.. you coulda live in Jacksonville...

Comment

Yu have to stop going down town...

Comment

Wha wrong with Jacksonville now? Nice place....

Comment

I Agree With You

Thanks! I give thanks for being around to tell the tale!

I wasn't trying to dramatise it, but maybe it's good for you to "feel" what happened to me. It was indeed frightening!

I agree! Our police do have a difficult job and the public sometimes does not understand this. Including me!
                  I know you were not trying to dramatize the extreme seriousness of the situation, and I appreciate the detailed nature of your description. The sad fact is that many people, having never gone through traumatic events such as you described, take for granted the “watered-down” versions in media and so fail to fully appreciate the seriousness of such incidents and the impact on innocent victims.

Certainly what you experienced was so serious that it’s difficult to exaggerate!

Comment

http://vodpod.com/watch/3330084-toddler-shot-by-police

Comment

no doubt, assasin!

and that is why i shall repeat for the likes of karl - when a policeman has full control of the situation, he should not kill the individual!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

no doubt, assasin!

and that is why i shall repeat for the likes of karl - when a policeman has full control of the situation, he should not kill the individual!!!
                        Good luck wid that! The Bud Advocates naah change dem tune.
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          Stress out don't mean they should be careless.
                          When I was a youth I saw something in cross roads. A policeman I knew was walking down the road draping a crown and anchor man and was taking him to crossroads police station. Now the crown and anchor man ran out of the policema grip and headed accross the road toward the cross road post office. You know the post office on the outside is always full. The police took his gun and shot at the escapee. It was Gods blessing how somebody didn't get shot as the police fired as it was about 5:30 in the afternoon and people was waiting for bus.

Now is it worth it to shoot a man who is escaping for playing crown and anchor. Now I know the police must feel embarrass but he should never shoot in a crowd like that.

Some of them simply need training and to be charged for their carelessless.
                          That policeman was an eediat and should have been "gun butted" by his superior.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            Good luck wid that! The Bud Advocates naah change dem tune.
                            ...did I say there should be a decree that guns should only be carried legally by members of the security forces...there wanton shooting would cease?

...I did not read of a reason why anyone would consider this poor gentleman a bud!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                            X