• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Moss-Solomon

COLUMNS
    THE ANSWER, MY FRIEND...
    JAMES MOSS-SOLOMON

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Congratulations to the Hon Roy Collister, OJ, on his recent award. The timing of conferment of well-deserved national honours is of concern to me, as it speaks to an inconsistency in the process of bestowing these awards. The system is seriously flawed (maybe not for politically connected persons) and is need of an overhaul. One can be a patriot without being a political sycophant.

The words of a song written by Bob Dylan -- "How many roads must a man walk down..." -- kept ringing in my ears, as the country searches for a way out of its very serious problems. As I listened to and read current news items, two stood out as examples of our intense ability to continue tilting at (attacking) windmills, as it was reported of Don Quixote. The mistake of imagining them to be dragons was a source of romanticising an act of foolishness, which should have been diagnosed as poor eyesight. There is no doubt that the Lions' Club clinic would have been of great benefit.

But back to the news.

The first was a statement by someone from the Small Businesses Association, who acknowledged that borrowing rates had in fact fallen substantially, but what they really needed was venture capital. I was amazed by this supposedly "new idea". I asked myself the following questions:
    * Has the concept of venture capital just been invented?
    * Are we aware that the purpose of venture capital is to make profits, albeit in a higher risk area?
    * Are we aware that to get a venture capitalist interested, there has to be a high level of shared information, including access to current audited accounts, and other items to ensure due diligence?
    * Do we understand that the process will require shared ownership?
    This is nothing new, and our own reluctance to trust others has contributed to little or no interest and therefore inaccessibility.

To try to attract venture capital is not an act of brute force or an inalienable right, and to try to treat it otherwise could best be described as attempted armed robbery.

The second report was about a Chairman's Club breakfast hosted by the PSOJ. The discussion centred on cutting government expenditures, the macroeconomic outlook, and projections to estimate how much more we can borrow now that "confidence" in the Government's sincerity to stay true to its fiscal commitments is discouraging. An improved credit rating given by agencies who are spectators, and who do not have to deal with our day-to-day living and working conditions, has gone on longer than necessary. Perhaps the only thing to learn from the much-vaunted S&P rating is that it is descriptively true, as it means substandard and poor.

Do the captains of industry intend to lead us out of our current crisis by continuing to overly concern themselves again with paper profits which they sell among themselves, without producing real goods and services that will provide microeconomic or industry growth? Multilateral agencies do not face hundreds of employees waiting for their weekly wages from some construction site, who are wondering if and when they will be paid, and how they will feed their families. Let's have a reality check here, captains. If you do not change the subject of your dialogue to real issues, then I can assure you that you will only fulfil that "stiff British upper lip dream", which is going down with your ship.

I decided to read the two Wednesday business papers to see if opportunities are passing us by undetected, like a stealth jet. Let me share a few of my findings and some possible areas for progressive enterprises:
    * Oil prices rise to US$81.91: Where are all the electrical engineers who should be earning from energy reduction strategies, or alternative energy solutions?
    * Investing in water -- the blue gold: Where are the entrepreneurs who should be insisting that they are integral in the solution to the world's largest resource problem? What are the solutions here in Jamaica, and can they attract the interest of the present paper chasers? No matter what the NWC may say, when you turn on the shower and get no water from the tap it is a problem.
    * Glaxo, Pfizer agree to supply pneumonia vaccines: Where is our research on solving large-scale illnesses including malaria, gastrointestinal causes and symptoms, and many others? Are we actively wooing the major corporations involved with worldwide health care?
    * PepsiCo looks for new no-cal, natural sweeteners: Same comment as above.
    * Blue Power offers 22.6m shares in junior IPO: Who will be the next bold company seeking to finance expansion through equity capital? What does the SBAJ have to say about this and will they endorse the strategy?
    * Tough market drives changes at Altamont hotel: Hello friends, why not follow the example of Blue Power if you are really confident in the market strength of your product?
    * Four pre-qualified for Pegasus: How many of these are Jamaican ventures who have decided to forsake the paper chase?
    * Cayman Islands ordered to reduce deficit by 2013: What can we sell them efficiently in order to reduce their US/UK product dependency?
    * Billions for Haiti -- a criticism for every dollar: How can we rise above our base nature and position ourselves as the honest and accountable brokers for the reconstruction efforts? Our plans should have been prepared already as this was no surprise. Large, rich nations and agencies lack the practical experience required for recovery efforts. Yes, they may have the money, but they do not have the university degrees gained from our life experience of surviving "WA WA WA Wild Gilbert".

Yes, my friends, so many opportunities, so many meaningless dialogues, and so little action all lead us to more and more spinning of wheels. When will we address all the questions that are posed to us? We need new and radical answers to break the cycle which pushes us towards poverty and more confinement. We are indeed like that mythical Wogga bird, which flies in ever-decreasing circles, until it vanishes up its own rectum, spreading feathers and faeces on all its enemies.

Bob Dylan sang, "The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind..." Let's hope it is a fresh answer, and not the "Wogga bird".
    Last edited by Karl; March 29, 2010, 01:07 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

HELP CONNIE CAMPBELL TO SING AGAIN
    Mark Wignall

Sunday, March 28, 2010

THE little country church in the sleepy, deep rural district of Clapham was filled to capacity on that rainy evening 10 years ago.
    It was Miss Eva's funeral and it seemed as if every household had emptied itself to attend. I sat on a hard church bench like everyone else as Connie, one of Miss Eva's grandchildren, walked past the casket and up to the pulpit to sing in honour of the widely loved matriarch of the Wallace family.

Connie was 20-something and just a little slip of a girl. As country funerals go, I expected nothing more than the usual -- droning hymns and overdone speeches. And then Connie began to sing and the church, including myself, wondered how such a giant of a voice could come from such a small body.

I was stunned because her voice was 'off the charts', meaning it had that quality that immediately made one say, "Why is she not earning millions making recordings?" Halfway through the song Connie broke down in tears and was unable to continue. I must confess that in the years which followed I lost track of her. I know she was a back-up singer for Luciano and other headliners, had a daughter and travelled extensively as she gathered credits for the full launch of her solo career. In recent times she did back-up for Shaggy and was well on her way to stardom until tragedy struck in a most brutal and unexpected way.

On August 23 last year she was at the Crossroads Entertainment Complex in Maryland. Minutes before she was due to perform she had a seizure. Everyone was shocked because Connie took the view that what others tended to do in the rough world of entertainment was not necessarily her way. She therefore shunned the world of drugs and heavy drinking. At 34 years old Connie was diagnosed as having suffered from a brainstem stroke. Connie has Locked-in Syndrome -- LIS -- she hears everything, is able to react to some commands, but is unable to speak.

Her health insurance has since been used up by the hospital, which included costs for time in the ICU of up to US$5,000 per day. Connie should have been transferred to a rehabilitation facility from September 17 as she needs speech, vent-weaning care, and long-term occupational and physical therapy. The brain stem takes six to nine months to regrow and rehab will be for one to two years, depending on her response to treatment.

Proposals from rehab facilities ask for US$90,000 down payment as security, and monthly amounts of US$45,000.

These amounts are not petty, but doctors are of the view that Connie's youth is a factor in her recovery. That will, however, take time. Her sister Sandra Campbell, a life underwriter with Sagicor, and someone whom I have known all of her life, said, "Her neurologists state that because she has youth in her favour she has a great chance, but her recovery will take time, and as the family is experiencing, it takes money for her recovery.

"I have personally met with Dr Trevor McCartney CMO, physiatrist Dr Paula Dawson, and spoken to senior personnel at the KPH about her return to a Jamaican facility. Her move here, they said, is not advisable as the hospitals do not have adequate facilities and human resources for a patient needing long-term ventilator support and rehabilitation.

"I am asking for assistance... as every bit counts. Connie has an 11-year-old daughter, Gianni, who is now in my care, and consistently dreams of her mother's return.

"We have formed the CONNIE CAMPBELL FOUNDATION with accounts at RBTT, Dominica Drive: Ja Sav Ac# 44103172004606326 and US Sav Ac# 10317200406318."

To compound matters, Connie's family is under stress from the courts. Said Sandra, "I am to attend court in Maryland in April, as the hospital is suing for monies owed and are applying to the courts for custody of Connie, so they can make decisions on her behalf. If I get her in a rehab facility, the attorney said, the case will be dropped."

I am asking readers to assist, not because Connie can and will sing again, not because she is one of us, not because she brought joy into the lives of those who heard her and knew her, but because life is tenuous and we are all subject to its unpleasant surprises.

Please, do all you can to give some help and make Connie sing again.

PATTERSON... the ‘winningest’ politician in Jamaica’s history

1/2

Does the JLP need Black Leadership?

A political party's main product is not its policies, it is instead its leader; and that leader, once agreed on and chosen, or, to use the politically correct euphemism, elected, that leader must be the best salesman in selling himself to the electorate.
    The vast majority of our people are black-skinned and over the years they have elected leaders who look nothing like them. In colonial times and just beyond that, enough of us found favour with the brown man Bustamante to eventually make him Jamaica's first prime minister.

It is my view that when our people did this, as uneducated and poor as they were, for the times, they were not into the business of fooling themselves into believing that a black leader could get for them more than what a high-brown man could achieve. Plus, Busta communicated well with his targeted audience.

In 1972 another great communicator, Michael Manley, rose to political power with much heraldry. The people loved him, the women adored him and he wallowed in it until he moved beyond what he could realistically deliver. In 1980 when the political crescendo spilled over, Eddie Seaga, a white man, was catapulted to power. His communication skills never received better than a 'good' rating but, at the time, he was the master of selling the people on the dangers of the 'other side'. He was never liked because he came across as too much of a cold planner. Some took this to mean that he didn't like black people and merely tolerated them as a means to his personal end.

That he never cared to remake himself was a mystery to many as cosmetic engineering in politics is always the first expression of a need to win or, more importantly, strengthen political power. When this was added to what came across as waves of animosity in how he treated black second-tier leadership in his party, significant numbers of those in the electorate and in his own party saw him as uncaring, and not having the 'common touch'. In those times, the label 'big-man party' appeared.

Ever since the early months of 2002, PNP supporters and some issue voters (surprisingly) would, if probed, admit that the JLP's leadership was giving some credence to what the little man at street level, especially PNP supporters, were saying: the JLP is a brown-man party.

This was intensified in the months leading up to the September 2007 elections. The sociological path from the JLP being described by some as a 'big-man party' in the 1980s to significant numbers seeing it as a 'brown-man party' from 2002 to now is a complex one and, some may argue, not worth discussing.

Some believe that if a factor in our politics has no seal of approval from those considered intellectual, then it is a waste of time to bring the discussion to the level of a newspaper column. And then there is the very valid view that skin colour ought not to be, in a utopian, colour-blind world, a factor in any consideration. Well, the factor exists and to me, that is all that matters.

Others may form the view that we have too much on our plate now to be discussing such a matter. After all, they may say, did Jamaica not elect Norman Manley, an upper-class, near-brown man in pre-colonial times? Did we not also elect PJ Patterson and eventually made him the 'winningest' politician in Jamaica's history? And, at the end of his run, which lasted from 1993 to 2006, for all that the 'black prince' PJ Patterson was worth in his governmental performance, Jamaica stood fourth from the last in GNP per capita of 25 countries in the region.

The perception that is supported by a majority among the electorate is that this Government has performed way below expectations, and because of this the 'brown-man' party label has resurfaced. When I asked a shop owner who is borderline JLP why he believes that the JLP is a brown-man party when it is going out of its way to ensure that Dudus, a black man, has all of his rights represented in dealing with the extradition request from the US, he quipped, "The first part is true, the second part is political expediency. Yuh trying to trap mi, but I dare yuh to tell mi a lying."

Where is the example of black success?

There is no doubt in my mind that how we view skin colour in this country comes from our direct look (overseas travel, TV, cable, Internet) at who runs the planet. There are not five countries in the world that have black populations that black people could point to and say, "There, we can do it and more." The other supporting influence is our own culture which sends a less-than-subtle message that brown-skinned or white Jamaicans behave better than black Jamaicans and, from the richest to the poorest, the colour fades respectively from white, brown, near-brown then black.

All of that coupled with the hangovers in the system from colonial times cause black Jamaicans to give more respect to lighter-skinned Jamaicans than those as black as us. It is more than likely that politicians such as the late Alexander Bustamante, Michael Manley and the still living Eddie Seaga perfectly understood that important factor and factored it into the times of their ascendancy.

Late last year Dr Oscar Lofters, a highly intelligent Jamaican living in Canada, wrote the following as feedback to a column on race by colleague columnist Michael Burke: "In Jamaica we have been conditioned to believe that white personifies power and progress. How can we not believe that white men who enslaved black people for centuries are not superior? All the great powers of the world for the last several centuries were white. We see white people land on the moon and win great wars.
    "Then we see black people and black countries starving and begging for handouts. We see black people fleeing from poverty to the white meccas of New York and Miami. Everything our children see on white-inspired television reinforces white superiority. For God's sake, even the Jesus we worship in our churches is white. Our children see a black music icon change himself to a snow-white freak and we wonder why our children now bleach themselves. Then we tell our children that black people were once great.

We dig up Egyptian history and great tales of African superiority and our children wonder where are the great current black countries and mighty black people. Then they see a Jamaica political and business class of brown and white citizens who appear in the social pages of our newspapers in fine raiment holding dainty champagne glasses, while most black citizens survive on a patty and a soft drink daily and live in squalid garrisons ."

Stark and true, but the fact remains that the most successful politician in Jamaica has been PJ Patterson, a black man, and it is my belief that that is why certain elements within the JLP have been covertly examining more than the possibilities of changing the 'face' that the JLP shows to the electorate.

The fact that the 'brown-man' leadership in the JLP has not signalled that it has the tools to deliver is giving this push more validity. As those in the forefront ponder the possibilities, the first big step lies in the recognition that the majority of the black entrepreneurial class (likely funders), which threatened to break big time into the rarefied air of 'top of the class', was destroyed at a time when there was a black prime minister, PJ Patterson, and a black finance minister, Omar Davies.
    Well, so much for the dream.

Would you partake in mob killing?

It happened at the beginning of last week and it has shaken me up so much that I am rethinking my views on vigilante justice.

A young school girl, not yet 12, from a district in the Red Hills area, goes missing last Monday. All involved go in search of her. Among those desperately trying to find her is a taxi driver who plies the route between Chancery Street and Padmore. He accompanies relatives to the police station to report the child missing.

That same evening, in a mix of the worst of horror movies and miracles, a tragedy unfolds. That same taxi driver turns out to be a beast of the worst sort. Earlier he had picked up the girl from Half-Way-Tree, driven the long way up into the bushes by Smokey Vale, stopped the car, manhandled the child then brutally raped and did other unspeakable things to her.

After he was finished, he bashed her head in, dug a grave and buried her, thinking she was dead. While he was pretending to look for her, the girl, who survived, dug her way out of the shallow grave and ran naked onto the nearby roadway where she was rescued by a passerby.

At the hospital the early hope is that she will be able to retain sight in the eye on the side of her head the monster bashed in. She told them what happened and later the police arrested the man.

I have never been a supporter of mob violence, but even the father of the monster said, "If mi si dem a kill him, mi wi tun wey mi head."

Jamaican businessman Doug Halsall, CEO of Advanced Integrated Systems, wrote recently that it was his hope one day that in Jamaica, "...crime will soon be tamed to be more that of passion, rather than those born of anger, depravity and deviance".

What makes this crime so depraved and the wider Jamaican community so scared is that the taxi driver involved was 'just another man' trying to earn a bread by working like the rest of us. The question is, if his mind could conjure up such a sick, depraved idea and he could bring it to reality, what does that say about the rest of us who are ready to make the claim that we are normal and not prone to such extreme and deviant behaviour?

Were it my daughter involved, that police station could not hold such a monster.
    Last edited by Karl; March 29, 2010, 01:19 AM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

"The mistake of imagining them to be dragons was a source of romanticising an act of foolishness, which should have been diagnosed as poor eyesight. There is no doubt that the Lions' Club clinic would have been of great benefit. But back to the news."

The Epitaph of Joshua.. di likkle Chiney man call it perfectly in 1975...

Comment

"As those in the forefront ponder the possibilities, the first big step lies in the recognition that the majority of the black entrepreneurial class (likely funders), which threatened to break big time into the rarefied air of 'top of the class', was destroyed at a time when there was a black prime minister, PJ Patterson, and a black finance minister, Omar Davies.
        Well, so much for the dream."

Some would call that irony... others deny the reality..

Karl, yuh going World Cup in South Africa ?

Comment

Are you stuck in the 70s ?

Comment

No.. but we still have not recovered....

Yuh nuh si wheh dem duh in 1989... looks like dem did figget... cyaan tek dah chance deh again..

Comment

Yuh need fi get over it , manley dis , manley dat , not even PJ yuh attack like that.

Deal with the people who voted out eddie and kept the PNP in power for how long and deal with the people who are going to vote out Bruce on the loose , then you can deal with the reality that its not just the leaders but the people who play a bigger role as to why the JLP have such short terms .

But I know you have that answered already Manley brain wash dem from the 70s.....lol

Comment

Yuh ah one a dem dat want to blame di sheep for di direction dem guh...

Yuh probably also blame di Children and not di Parents when dem grow bad..

When one Parent hold dem ground and a next parent tek advantage (even when dem know bettah) who yuh blame ? Di pickney ?

Who di pickney gwine run tuh if both Parents hold dem ground ?

Comment

Working...
                X