X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay German MP campaigns against Jamaican music

Charles HE Campbell

Sunday, January 17, 2010

I am glad my wise colleague Clyde McKenzie has publicly joined the discussion on declining appeal for Jamaican acts overseas. Only this week, we learnt of a panel discussion organised by Kesselhaus (a location where Sizzla's performance was cancelled on November 26, 2009) to be held and broadcast on February 23, 2010 in Berlin, Germany with representatives from politics, gay lesbian associations, artiste managers, representatives from the Jamaican artiste fraternity (to be announced) and German promoters.

The topic of the discussion is 'Sustainable Measures Against Homophobia in Art', with the aim of developing lasting strategies for the handling of controversial artistes, between prohibition (or ban) and dialogue.

All this has been put in the context of the continuation of a dialogue addressing a great need for new, concrete steps to ensure that artistes who perform lyrics that are deemed in Germany to be homophobic, or that glory violence, are not allowed into the country, nor can the media promote their images, music or CDs. Some very influential people, led by Volker Beck MP, leader of the Alliance 90/Green Party in the German parliament, are attempting to step up the campaign by broadening this ban to include all Jamaican artistes by defining it all as Dancehall.

This is against the background of the Alliance 90/Green parliamentarians concluding that the Reggae Compassionate Act, signed in 2007 by several Reggae and Dancehall artistes, pledging not to make statements or perform songs that incite hatred or violence against anyone from any community, including homosexuals, has not worked.

On June 20, 2008, the Bundestag Printed Paper published a reply from the German Federal Government to the minor interpellation tabled by the members of the German Bundestag -- Volker Beck (Cologne) and others in

the Alliance 90/Green's parliamentary group. It included the following false statements which amount to a smear campaign against Jamaica and all its musical forms.

"Gay people are in a critical situation in Jamaica", "prison sentences of up to 15 years are imposed simply for holding hands". The document implies that Brian Williamson (JFLAG) and Lenford Harvey were victims of homophobic violence and that there has been a steady increase in frequency of such murders over recent years. It states further that "homophobic lyrics feature in the repertoires of many of Jamaica's Reggae and Dancehall stars, but clergymen, trade unions and the Jamaican Government, also stir up gay hate". The reply goes on to state, "conditions in Jamaica have shown us the extent of the anti-gay violence that can be agitated by the hysterical and homophobic rantings of these crazy artistes. The messages coming from the stage work people up into a frenzy and provoke them to go and beat up and kill gays. As a result, it is a regular occurrence in Kingston, and elsewhere in the Caribbean, for men who are gay or perceived to be gay, to be hounded through the streets and subjected to savage attacks which often end in death".

These are serious accusations which badly tarnish the image of Jamaica. We are being promoted as a nation of lynchers and killers. I have been reliably informed that there is an ad currently running on German radio urging people not to go to Jamaica, they slit your throat there. The question I wish to ask is, whether our diplomatic service is aware of these accusations and the campaign against our artistes and musicians. If so, then why have we not yet formally responded to set the

record straight?

To quote from Clyde McKenzie, "how often do we hear about the indiscretions of an artiste being described as a poor reflection of the industry? I often argue that this is unfair, but I know the reality. The actions of a few are used to judge the behaviour of many and this is unfortunate".

Email: che.campbell@gmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Perceptions like this do nothing to encourage tolerance.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

All dem haffi duh to kill all dat propoganda is have a Gay Pride March Downtown Kingston and... wallah.. all the myths would be destroyed...

Wheh yuh seh ?

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
        All dem haffi duh to kill all dat propoganda is have a Gay Pride March Downtown Kingston and... wallah.. all the myths would be destroyed...

Wheh yuh seh ?
        would you march? would you like to be the Grand Marshal?

LoL!
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

so back to my question in the other post

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I do not have a death wish...

Comment

heh heh!

you had me totally confused in the other post and now yuh waan wrap up di two a dem? like di post dem gay!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I do not have a death wish...

mi nuh blame yuh...advocacy an lunacy ah two diffrant sinting

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

so why the disingenuous stance in denying a clear and present danger of violence when it comes to the Gay issue in Jamaica ???

The aggressive position of certain Gay Activists is clearly warranted...

Comment

[=Maudib;208529]so why the disingenuous stance in denying a clear and present danger of violence when it comes to the Gay issue in Jamaica ???
                    when did I deny the danger of violence? Can't recall doing that.

What I don't subscribe to is the aggressive promotion of the gay agenda to make this a societal norm. This is against our culture.... i.e. gay marriage wi nuh inna dem sinting deh

unnu fi hold unnu corna..

The aggressive position of certain Gay Activists is clearly warranted...
                    unnu free (LoL!) fi bi aggressive... jus as peeple free fi blood dat..

Comment

You will learn there are two wars that cannot be won:

1. War on Drugs
                      2. War on Adult Sexuality

Blood dat ?

Is who bawling bout di 'Unfair' b@ttyman dem...

lol !

Comment

You will learn there are two wars that cannot be won:

1. War on Drugs
                        2. War on Adult Sexuality

Blood dat ?

Is who bawling bout di 'Unfair' b@ttyman dem...

lol !
                        a nex war whey cyaan win.... the war to covert me to backward beliefs

Comment

Which one ? Di one King Henry dictate tuh yuh in di 16th Century ?

lol !

Comment

Which one ? Di one King Henry dictate tuh yuh in di 16th Century ?

lol !
                            nope... mi granny dictate to mi inna di 20th century...mi nuh falla Babylon.. ah yur path dat

Comment

Why not have a polygomy march , man can marry as much as he wants to and as young as he wants to , so can the women , afterall they are consenting adults, meaning marry as much man and women as they please , Bi marriages , Hetro and Homo.

Explain to me why this isnt a moral issue ?
                              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                              X