People blaming Vybz Kartel and Movado for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People blaming Vybz Kartel and Movado for

what is happening in our society but really .. how many of us are looking at the parents? Satday night I was at a birthday party for a 7 year old and 15 minutes after reaching mi a hear Romping Shop ("clean version"). I went to the DJ and reminded him its a kids event he mek mi know say its a big tune and a point to the ppl rocking to it.

Later it was my turn to play, and as soon as I put on Hope and Pray couple fathers came requesting the Vybz Kartel ganga man tune. Mi mek dem know mi nuh play gun tune, sexually explicit tunes and ganga tune and if dem wanna hear it dem affi get smady else fi play it.

Suh we all point fingers at Vybz and Movado, but isn't it a matter of demand and supply? As Kartel told Cliff Hughes, if him and Movad nuh dweet another artiste will do it. As far as I'm concern, those 2 are just a part of the sick society, but lets continue using them as scapegoats.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

If a fi dem alone...things wouldn't change!!
    What wrong with ganja tune? Yu see man smoke weed and shoot and kill? Fight 'gainst the coke and gun. Thing is sm of these parent don't see the connection OR one could argue if the 7 yo dem seeing things live will a song change anything?

Comment

I don't think they are specifically responsible for what is going on, but as the current big artistes together they represent the poison that dancehall music has become, so it is natural that are going to be frequently used as representitives of the music.

Jamaican artistes have been lyrically clashing since at least the 60s when Prince Buster and Derrick Morgan were rivals, but these two have clearly taken it to a new level. Thats why I will continue to lick out against Sting clashes because it only feeds into this nonsense. Do some of you whose position is "if you nuh like Sting just don't go" understand now that those clashes play a part in all of this?

All that is left for dancehall is a Biggie/Tupac style killing. To be honest I am somewhat surprised it hasn't happened already. Maybe thats what it will take for some dancehall fans to say "enough".
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yuh have a point but yuh missing the forest for the trees...the "ef mi nuh dweet smaddy else a guh dweet" argument is LAME!

what if a parent seh "ef mi nuh play it inna mi yard dem a guh hear it somewhere else"?

why beres nuh dweet? after all.........

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Agreed. Such a weak argument.

It is like a drug dealer saying "If me nuh sell them somebody else a go sell them". Nuh the same thing?
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

it name SOCIETY fi a reason.....society is made up of the collective conscience of the individuals. those who "look away" even if they do not agree condone by their silence.

i remember WC 2006 in berlin, i was coming from the brasil/croation match on one of the special commuter buses they had for the event, when a man came on and was told by the driver to wait for the next bus because that one was full....he started to argue with the driver who then refused to drive. the passengers on the bus, in unison told the man he had to come off the bus and he did. that is how they keep their society in check....

basically that is how we keep ours in check too UNFORTUNATELY most people condone the slackness, corruption and violence for too long...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

One of my all-time favourite quotes:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"

Comment

I was at a 2 yr old birthday party in NY and heard the most slackness! It happens in inner city Jamaica too. Is me did haffi aks di DJ wha him a duh!

I don't know about "scapegoat" but they, some of our artistes, shoulder some of the blame!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  "...Jamaican artistes have been lyrically clashing since at least the 60s when Prince Buster and Derrick Morgan were rivals, but these two have clearly taken it to a new level. Thats why I will continue to lick out against Sting clashes because it only feeds into this nonsense. Do some of you whose position is "if you nuh like Sting just don't go" understand now that those clashes play a part in all of this?
                  ".
                  Islandman, unlike you I have no problem with lyrical confrontations. However, when the clash done, it done.

My issue is with the parents. How many of them allow their kids to hear filth? Then when they get out of hand they blame the artistes?

Vybz Kartel have good clean music and they hardly get played. Why? Because the fans want the controversial stuff.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Ok boss, when the clash done, it done. Just like a football game. LOL.

We need to realise that not every youth has the social structure supporting them to handle these negative influences. I used to love listening to Super Cat gun lyrics in my time but never thought taking up guns was a good thing. Why? Because I had enough positive influences around for me to know that life and art was 2 different things. Nuff youths don't have that.

Like many other things in our culture, these public dancehall rivalries started out as fun but have become NEGATIVE influences and should be discouraged.

So again I ask, if people have a demand for crack should we not blame the drug dealers and let them have it? Is it really that difficult to understand that these things do not just affect the people directly involved?

Comment

how comes 7 year old party have 5 different djs..

Comment

the adults are simply use the kids' birthday parties as a reason to have a grown-up session. they hurry up and sing Happy Birthday, share cake and juice and after that...all hell breaks loose! Hard liquor and raunchy music tek ova!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                          how comes 7 year old party have 5 different djs..
                          5Djs? No sah! The equipment was pioneer and mi like use dem suh of course affi tek a spin.

Comment

so who's to be blamed? the artistes who do music intended for adults, or the irresponsible adults who play this music in the earshot of kids? It's like carrying a child to a rated-R movie. U cant expect hollywood to stop producing rated-R movies. It's the people's responsibility to prevent kids from getting their hands or eyes on R-rated movies.

Comment

both.. There are some songs that should be never produced. Romping shop is not one of them actually.. Good song but mature content and should be filtered or censored.... I was walking by some kids I was coaching an hear them singing you di best.. suh mi ask what is the best.. surprisingly they were singing it in front of other adults some thier parents and I dont think non think to ask..

Comment

Working...
                              X