Anger hangs heavy in Port Maria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anger hangs heavy in Port Maria

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Anger hangs heavy in Port Maria</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>Flood waters leave residents, businesses high and dry</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY OLIVIA LEIGH CAMPBELL Sunday Observer reporter
    Sunday, December 03, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>It's been a week since a flood of muddy water inundated the seaside north coast town of Port Maria, but even though the water has run off, everything still smells mouldy.
    And with rain falling on and off all of last week, everything is still wet and covered with a sticky film of mud, remnants of the debris and sediment that washed through when water from the Othrum River spilled into the town.
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>Dark, angry cloud hovered over the coastal town last week as business owners and residents tried to pick up the pieces of their soggy and muddied lives and livelihoods.
    "Vex? I more than vex. I don't even know where to start," said a visibly enraged Michael Thomas, a lifelong resident of Port Maria whose house was ruined when the water flowed in, leaving his furniture and appliances ruined, his home muddied and dirty. "Is somebody I know feel sorry for me and give me these," he said, tugging on the clothes he was wearing.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=330 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>A view of the recently constructed Othrum River Bridge, which residents of the town blame for the flooding two weeks ago. The National Works Agency, while admitting that the bridge is built low, says the bridge was not the cause of the flooding.</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Thomas' situation is not much different from that of hundreds people who live and work in and around Port Maria, which two weeks ago bore the brunt of flash floods that accompanied the unusually heavy rains. And like many others in the town, he's pointing to incompetence as the reason for his suffering.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"This one is not God's fault, this was a man-made catastrophe," he added, hissing his teeth in annoyance.
    Two Thursdays ago, as a weather system that passed over Jamaica brought several days of continuous rain, the Othrum River, which runs through the western end of Port Maria, like many other rivers in affected north coast parishes, became swollen. What happened next, however, was highly unusual, even for a town that lies below sea level and is bordered by two rivers - the Pagee to the east and the Othrum to the west - with the Caribbean Sea to the north.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Late that afternoon, following several hours of continuous rain, people in the town started noticing that the Othrum was topping its banks north of a bridge recently constructed over the river.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=330 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Some of the debris washed downstream along the Othrum River that contributed to the flooding of Port Maria two Thursdays ago. </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>"It did rain nuff still, but what happened was that a whole lot of garbage and what not started backing up behind the new bridge, and when the water came down there was nowhere for it to go but into the town," explained a Port Maria resident waiting at the town's main bus stop.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Stennett Street, one of the worst-affected areas in the small town, is Port Maria's main thoroughfare, and runs parallel to the Othrum, which flows through the western section of the tow
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

RE: Anger hangs heavy in Port Maria

Karl this a the reason I don't support government waste from either side.

Just to let you know that Port Maria is about 90% PNP. I know the Bridge in question and any uneducated person could have told you that anything lower than the current one a go create problems for the town.

Now them have to go take up that Bridge and build a new one. I only hope the government of Jamaica and all party involve pay the people for their lost.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

sass - I'm very familiar with that area. Who were the engineers on that project? What wanton waste of scarce resources. Is it lack of knowledge or lack of INTEREST why we screw up so damn much &amp; cause undue DURESS to our people!! I hope these people are compensated.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

It amaze me that the old Bridge was there so long and no flood and the new one come, you think someone wid sense would know to build it at least the same height.

Bobby Pottinger and Shaw from NWA a try start spin already saying a nuh the bridge but Port Maria people know better than that.

Comment

(Taken from last week's Gleaner). Note the Minister said that a new bridge is to be built (higher than the present one)

EDITORIAL - Preventable man-made disasters
          published: Tuesday | November 28, 2006
          <DIV class=KonaBody>

The bungling Keystone Kops of the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">silent </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">films</SPAN> of the early 1900s would find good company among some of our public officials. We are told that Port Maria, the St. Mary capital, is below sea level and vulnerable to flooding when it rains. We would, therefore, expect that this fact would be taken into account when infrastructure developments are planned and implemented for the town. Yet, within a few hours last week, Port Maria was flooded, leaving residents and business people marooned - apparently because a recently-constructed bridge was built too low thereby converting it into a dam for a river that was in spate.

<SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Local </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Government</SPAN> Minister Dean Peart has since said a new bridge is to be built three feet higher.

We have often lamented the lethargic or inadequate preparations for known flood-prone areas ahead of the rainy seasons. With the country experiencing a quiet hurricane season and not much rain for most of this year, the state of preparedness of the public infrastructure has not been put to the usual test for the wider public to assess.

In the case of the bridge in Port Maria, however, it is doubly ironic that little attention seems to have been paid to the warnings of people who live and work there that it was being built too low. Now public funds must be spent redoing what should have been done properly in the first case.

Once again we are left to question the adequacy of supervision and management of public projects such as in this bridge construction. On the other hand, mudslides, <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink2 style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" href="http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20061128/cleisure/cleisure1.html#" target=_new &#111;nclick="adlinkMouseClick(event,this,2);" &#111;nmouseout="adlinkMouseOut(event,this,2);" &#111;nmouseover="adlinkMouseOver(event,this,2);"> <FONT styl
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
          X