X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMF talks miss target?

IMF accord - moving target!

Published: Saturday | November 7, 2009

THERE ARE are fresh concerns today that the Government will not meet its end-of-November timetable for a US$1.2 billion stand-by agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

After 11 days in the island, an IMF team left yesterday with a brief statement on the state of the discussion; but this left the nation no clearer on when an agreement will be reached.
    "The IMF appreciates the significant challenges faced by Jamaica and is working closely with the authorities in support of their efforts to formulate a plan to overcome these challenges," Trevor Alleyne, chief of the IMF's Caribbean division, said.

According to Alleyne, the IMF team held discussions with Prime Minister Bruce Golding, Finance Minister Audley Shaw, and senior officials of the finance ministry and the central bank during its visit.
    "The focus of the discussions has been on the appropriate set of policy measures for both the short and medium term that would credibly address the key macroeconomic imbalances and thus help set the stage for robust economic growth," said Alleyne.

He added: "In particular, this has meant a focus on how to reduce the large fiscal deficit and put the debt on a clear downward path. In this regard, marked progress has been made during this mission".

close contact
    Alleyne said the IMF and the Jamaican authorities would continue to be in close contact, and discussions were expected to continue next week at the fund's headquarters in Washington.

But financial analyst Anne Shirley said the signal from the IMF is that the agreement would take much longer than initially scheduled.
    "The November time line will not be met, and the country should have seen that since the dismissal of central bank governor Derick Latibeaudiere," Shirley told The Gleaner. "We will now have to wait to go to the multi-laterals, and the issue of how to deal with the debt is back on the table for discussion," Shirley added.

Thanks to Anne Shirley for divining the real meaning of the "official statement."

Some of us need much help in that regard. lol!!
    Last edited by Don1; November 7, 2009, 12:27 PM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Anne Shirley? The same Anne Shirley that was over the air waves giving her usual incorrect statements about the Supplimentary Budget? Gwaan expose yuhself.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Anne Shirley? The same Anne Shirley that was over the air waves giving her usual incorrect statements about the Supplimentary Budget? Gwaan expose yuhself.

Sorry missed that one....but please give us the "official version"!!!! lol!!
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Everybody guessingJA/IMF negotiations can be completed by month end – Johnson Saturday, 07 November 2009 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Financial[/COLOR][/COLOR] observers say the Bruce Golding administration will face a tight [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]schedule[/COLOR][/COLOR] if it still intends to complete negotiations this month for a standby facility with the International Monetary [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Fund[/COLOR][/COLOR] (IMF).

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }A team from the Fund left the island Friday after several days of meetings with senior public sector officials.

Negotiations are scheduled to continue next week in Washington.

But with the Government declaring that it wants to wrap up talks this month,Financial Analyst Orville Johnson says it is critical that all the necessary preparations are completed on time.

"I believe that if the board is meeting towards the end of the month, then it is possible. The fact that the (IMF) have issued a statement and that they've completed the work in Jamaica (says to me that) they've done the heavy lifting.

"I think what they'll be going back to do is to fine tune, so depending on the date of the board meeting, it might be a possibility. However, I think it's unusual for the IMF to have issued two statements a week apart and almost giving an assurance that things are going well ... I cannot ever recall ever hearing that," said Mr. Johnson.

Jamaica is planning to seek US$1.2 billlion in balance of payment support from the IMF.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X