• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich land, poor nation! Food matters

Rich land, poor nation! Food matters
    PM, please rid us of Air Vanity!
    Franklin Johnston

Friday, October 30, 2009

Jamaica is an enigma. We are too rich to be called poor yet not rich enough to ditch our begging bowl. Our shameless leaders choose to borrow others' labour (their money) than to mobilise ours, it's déjà vu. We are tired of talk. We are not expecting instant success; we just need to be shown a vision and some timelines for things to happen! We are a rich country, but a poor nation with blessed poor people. We are in a crisis, but does the minister adjust his house repair budget? Does Cabinet reduce the MPs on the payroll? No! Will we continue to suffer? Yes!

Franklin Johnston
    Poverty in Darfur and Ethiopia is deep - flies, excreta, stench, skin, bones and suffering. It is not pretty. Here, we have food we did not plant (mango, breadfruit, ackee). It falls and rots. And we have water in dams we did not build. In Africa, the poor walk miles for care and bury their medicine as they have no fridge to keep it cool. Are we really poor? Is our poverty contrived by bigger brains? Are we kept in want by a politics which profits from our dependence? We waited to be given freedom and we were handed Independence. Will we wait or fight for the economic freedom we pledged Father Manley to achieve?

Food

Europe and America used slaves effectively and have food and wealth to prove it. Arab and African slave states did not and still can't feed themselves. Slavery by itself is no guarantee of success, and we are living proof that neither is freedom. Mineral-rich Congo's people won't produce, so it gives white South Africans thousands of hectares of land to farm for 30 years and they will make millions selling tomatoes at half the present US$7 per lb. Why not invite them here? Minister Tufton needs prayers. Sir, we tried everything already - hope springs eternal! Jobs are few and our NINJA (No Income, No Job or Asset) cohort grows but won't produce. Here's some tweaking that might help:

. Grade and package produce. Sell Grade A and B - uniform in size, colour, shape, temperature and packaged - to supermarkets at premium prices; C and D - oversize and undersize - to the catering trade, and A and B loose at a low price to the market and street trade. Farmers would recoup from the top grades. Farmers need brand (as Trelawny Yam Guild), weight, batch, grade on a waybill, as in 2009, we need to know who vouches for the pork, tomato or yam and that it is not imported or stolen. The JAS should create a brand pool and validation marks for farmer groups.

. Enforce "sell-by" and "best-before" dates. The first is a health mark and the second a quality mark. Expired best-before food is healthy; expired sell-by is not always so, but consumers can choose carefully and get bargains and ease the burden.

. Genetically Modified crops are a blessing and a curse. All plants - all living things -mutate and evolve. The biodiversity around us is always in transition. Nature's changes take place over decades, man's to order. We make crops resistant to diseases, pests and yield more, etc, but these qualities may transfer to weeds too. With GM we buy seed for each crop, pay the IP and royalty fees of the scientists, but what of the side effects?

Food... produce, grade, package have 'sell-by' and 'best-before' dates

. We don't know how to cook good food fast. We waste energy with open flames, stew for hours and leach the value out of food. We haughtily aver we do not eat "stale food" (leftovers) as we don't know how to store, chill, freeze and restore food to freshness.

. Portion control is important. We believe in "full belly" but don't know a body's needs or what happens to food it cannot process. Restaurant food and box lunches are a rip-off. Are we served six oz protein (beef), 10 oz carbohydrate (yam, rice) and two oz vegetable as a meal with mass to deliver, say, 40 per cent of our daily calorific needs? Who knows?

. Food fraud grows in hard times. Sellers use "bait and switch", sell cheap as dear, low as high grade or cheap imports as local. We need traceability of all food back to source.

. Junk food is a moving target, like weeds. A weed is anything growing where it's not wanted. Salt, sugar and fats are junk to me - salt fish, salt pork, salt beef and fried stuff - as I am on my health journey; still, God bless roast yam and salt fish! Mind your junk too!

. Weight is the way to sell food. To sell by the dozen is criminal. Food value is by weight and volume and is verifiable. Our liquids and solids are traded in US and UK gallons, tons and tonnes. The consumer is ripped off, as these are not the same. The state must provide consumer alerts so we can check the value we receive. Every little helps!

Air Jamaica

We can't feed or educate our people, yet we spend all to parade our name on the side of an aeroplane Why? Vanity, simple vanity, my friends!
    There is a difference between privatising and ridding ourselves of a national liability which cost us billions over 40 years; always said to be on the verge of being sustainable but never made it, like our economy. To buy a loss-making, vanity airline, with high debt and fuel costs in a global depression is a mega risk undertaken by fools or people of rare insight and deep pockets. Let's end the confusion about who made an offer. An offer means a Business and Finance Plan with a transition strategy, fronted by a deal expert on behalf of the offeror. He is armed with intents from an underwriting house and a strategy for the sovereign and subordinate debt. Plans may cost upwards of US$1m to prepare. His fees, in excess of US$3,000 an hour, plus expenses and a success fee may be two per cent of the deal. It's easy to spot an offer as the cost of even the negotiator is a barrier to frivolous people. Incidentally, there is no vacuum in business and tourist demand for seats to Jamaica will elicit supply. Stay conscious!

Dr Franklin Johnston is an international project manager with Teape-Johnston Consultants, currently on assignment in the UK.
    franklinjohnston@hotmail.com

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...D_MATTERS_.asp
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Seriously I'm tired of this guy with his insecurities and self hatred. He's always trying to belittle blacks in the guise of history and some psuedo analysis. Last time he mentioned black africa. Now he's implicitly endorsing slavery.

Hello Mr. Johnston for your info; it wasn't slavery that moved Britain or the US forward. It was the industrial revolution (which displaced slavery). Had it been for slavery the US and Britain would still be agricultural societies. Wars would be fought for spices, banana, cotton et al.
    As for the contrast with the Congo and S.Africa; the imagery and symbolism is well understood here (Blacks stupid and whites smart) .

I think what Mr. Johnston should do is to research the advance of the industrial age and from a scientific standpoint and why it grew industralized and non industrialized nations.

Karl stop carry this man's psychological problems to the site (dem talk deh come out ah style now. Yuh nuh see all Guliani ah get run wid dem talk deh. cho, 21st century now)

Comment

Jawge i read through the piece (that karl posted)--very fast.

I did not glean from the piece--the same info as your conclusion.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
        Seriously I'm tired of this guy with his insecurities and self hatred. He's always trying to belittle blacks in the guise of history and some psuedo analysis. Last time he mentioned black africa. Now he's implicitly endorsing slavery.

Hello Mr. Johnston for your info; it wasn't slavery that moved Britain or the US forward. It was the industrial revolution (which displaced slavery). Had it been for slavery the US and Britain would still be agricultural societies. Wars would be fought for spices, banana, cotton et al.
        As for the contrast with the Congo and S.Africa; the imagery and symbolism is well understood here (Blacks stupid and whites smart) .

I think what Mr. Johnston should do is to research the advance of the industrial age and from a scientific standpoint and why it grew industralized and non industrialized nations.

Karl stop carry this man's psychological problems to the site (dem talk deh come out ah style now. Yuh nuh see all Guliani ah get run wid dem talk deh. cho, 21st century now)
        What system financed and enabled this great industrial revolution?

Where did the capital to build industrial enterprises come from??

Read Eric Williams' Capitalism and Slavery for good answers.
        Last edited by Don1; October 31, 2009, 05:11 AM.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

In spite of all that Jawge, whether his analysis is correct or not, where are we now? Is he talking lies? Rich land, poor nation indeed.
          Peter R

Comment

Well no but I'm concerned with the foundation of the premise. It really takes away from the thesis statement (which in itself needs to be discussed in depth).

Comment

So Hl, becuse you didn't see it, it's not there? Come on. Okay go it over slowly.

Comment

See these are the pitfalls that we enter when addressing certain issues:
                How long has slavery been around?

Now let's look deep: Slavery has beenn around as way back as 3000 BCE. coupled with the evidence that the math and science we have today was lying around then.

Slavery stifles growth and creativity plain and simple. Africa 3000 BCE was rich with capital and knowledge did they move into the industrial age? No because they were satisfied with manual labour (evidence shows that the potential was there. Even show that, they may knew of calculus). The same could be said of the greeks and Romans. In short wealth can exist independently of slavery. wealth caomes about from the ability to exploit nature (we are just scratching the surface) Now what if as far back as 2000 years ago the industrial age had started? where would we be today?

Yes the industrial age pushed the notion of one group being inferior whilst the other superior but we must investigate why. The info age is coming and many cannot even understand it, yourself included (because of your China talk; I will say more responding to you below). The info age will put racism to rest or 95% of what we see today (that's all I can say for now)

Oh before I go further: Are you saying communism would have no need for slavery? Boss do your research; slavery is based on agrarian societies, that's the only society it can support. What is apparent is that an elite few found this out and ran with it. I can recall a long discussion with my caucasian friend on the matter of the industrial revolution and we settled that it was a race and Europe got there first (it's a few people that started the revolution not a lot. You can dig to find this)

Can't have it both ways: If slavery encouraged the the advent of the industrial age then it means Africa was not a power, devoid of wealth and knowledge (and we know that this is not the case for africa).

Comment

See these are the pitfalls that we enter when addressing certain issues:
                  How long has slavery been around?

Now let's look deep: Slavery has beenn around as way back as 3000 BCE. coupled with the evidence that the math and science we have today was lying around then.
                  So what?

Slavery stifles growth and creativity plain and simple. Africa 3000 BCE was rich with capital and knowledge did they move into the industrial age? No because they were satisfied with manual labour (evidence shows that the potential was there. Even show that, they may knew of calculus). The same could be said of the greeks and Romans. In short wealth can exist independently of slavery. wealth caomes about from the ability to exploit nature (we are just scratching the surface) Now what if as far back as 2000 years ago the industrial age had started? where would we be today
                  Confused....there is no salient point here...rambling.

Yes the industrial age pushed the notion of one group being inferior whilst the other superior but we must investigate why. The info age is coming and many cannot even understand it, yourself included (because of your China talk; I will say more responding to you below). The info age will put racism to rest or 95% of what we see today (that's all I can say for now)
                  More rambling. You and this Info Age again! The more things change the more they remain the same...you need to ovastan dat fuss....the so called Info Age will be no different...there will be winners and losers as in every other Age.
                  Yuh ah mek computa fry yuh brain.

Oh before I go further: Are you saying communism would have no need for slavery? Boss do your research; slavery is based on agrarian societies, that's the only society it can support. What is apparent is that an elite few found this out and ran with it. I can recall a long discussion with my caucasian friend on the matter of the industrial revolution and we settled that it was a race and Europe got there first (it's a few people that started the revolution not a lot. You can dig to find this)
                  More confusion...why do you always refer to this or that caucasian friend? It is a constant theme of yours. Who cares about some unnamed and undistinguished white associate of yours?
                  You think this white association of yours confers some type of weight to your positions?

Can't have it both ways: If slavery encouraged the the advent of the industrial age then it means Africa was not a power, devoid of wealth and knowledge (and we know that this is not the case for africa).
                  More rambling...read Capitalism and Slavery for some insights.
                  Last edited by Don1; October 31, 2009, 07:00 PM.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Also How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney

thats an area of history that I need to read more on as my knowledge is embarassingly low in that area. So mi ago sit back and take notes pon that as all mi really know is that I read a book where it said that the south american countries and west african kingdoms were on par with the european countries before the coming of the europeans and the draining of their wealth.

Like I said I need to read more on this subject so mek mi sit back and take notes

Comment

come again with this history thing boss. yuh not mekking sense.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well...it got you thinking on your response!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Air Jamaica

We can't feed or educate our people, yet we spend all to parade our name on the side of an aeroplane Why? Vanity, simple vanity, my friends!
                          There is a difference between privatising and ridding ourselves of a national liability which cost us billions over 40 years; always said to be on the verge of being sustainable but never made it, like our economy.
                          But some on here, think that Air Jam. should be kept!
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

true , but yuh know
                            is joke mi ah mek wid yuh still.

Comment

Ras did you know that at one point Africa invaded Europe?
                              Even Asia too. You have to dig to find it as it is been shown and recorded behind smoke screens. What drove Napoleon to say Africa started in Southern France?

I wouldn't say drain their wealth but exploit their resources. It's all about winning and losing. Once Africa was finally driven out of Europe (1492) then the euros came en mass to Africa (exploiting the weaker political systems the same way Africa did in 3rd century right up to the 8th century in Europe) please research this. What really made the difference was start of the industrial age with Europe at its helm. As they say the rest is history.

Comment

Working...
                              X