CIA predicts US decline...years ago ..Pre Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA predicts US decline...years ago ..Pre Crisis

2020 Vision: CIA report predicts that American global dominance could end in 15 years.

By Fred Kaplan Posted Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2005, at 5:48 PM ET

Who will be the first politician brave enough to declare publicly that the United States is a declining power and that America's leaders must urgently discuss what to do about it? This prognosis of decline comes not (or not only) from leftist scribes rooting for imperialism's downfall, but from the National Intelligence Council—the "center of strategic thinking" inside the U.S. intelligence community.

The NIC's conclusions are starkly presented in a new 119-page document, "Mapping the Global Future: Report of the National Intelligence Council's 2020 Project." It is unclassified and available on the CIA's Web site. The report has received modest press attention the past couple weeks, mainly for its prediction that, in the year 2020, "political Islam" will still be "a potent force." Only a few stories or columns have taken note of its central conclusion:
    The likely emergence of China and India ... as new major global players—similar to the advent of a united Germany in the 19th century and a powerful United States in the early 20th century—will transform the geopolitical landscape with impacts potentially as dramatic as those in the previous two centuries.
    In this new world, a mere 15 years away, the United States will remain "an important shaper of the international order"—probably the single most powerful country—but its "relative power position" will have "eroded." The new "arriviste powers"—not only China and India, but also Brazil,

Indonesia, and perhaps others—will accelerate this erosion by pursuing "strategies designed to exclude or isolate the United States" in order to "force or cajole" us into playing by their rules.

America's current foreign policy is encouraging this trend, the NIC concluded. "U.S. preoccupation with the war on terrorism is largely irrelevant to the security concerns of most Asians," the report states. The authors don't dismiss the importance of the terror war—far from it. But they do write that a "key question" for the future of America's power and influence is whether U.S. policy-makers "can offer Asian states an appealing vision of regional security and order that will rival and perhaps exceed that offered by China." If not, "U.S. disengagement from what matters to U.S. Asian allies would increase the likelihood that they will climb on Beijing's bandwagon and allow China to create its own regional security that excludes the United States."

To the extent that these new powers seek others to emulate, they may look to the European Union, not the United States, as "a model of global and regional governance."

This shift to a multipolar world "will not be painless," the report goes on, "and will hit the middle classes of the developed world in particular" with further outsourcing of jobs and outflow of capital investment. In short, the NIC's forecast involves not merely a recalibration in the balance of world power, but also—as these things do—a loss of wealth, income, and, in every sense of the word, security.

The trends should already be apparent to anyone who reads a newspaper. Not a day goes by without another story about how we're mortgaging our future to the central banks of China and Japan. The U.S. budget deficit, approaching a half-trillion dollars, is financed by their purchase of Treasury notes. The U.S. trade deficit—much of it amassed by the purchase of Chinese-made goods—now exceeds $3 trillion.

Meanwhile, China is displacing the United States all across Asia—in trade, investment, education, culture, and tourism. It's also cutting into the trade markets of Latin America. (China is now Chile's No. 1 export market and Brazil's No. 2 trade partner.) Asian engineering students who might once have gone to MIT or Cal Tech are now going to universities in Beijing.

Meanwhile, as the European Union becomes a coherent entity, the dollar's value against the euro has fallen by one-third in the past two years (one-eighth just since September). As the dollar's rate of return declines, currency investors—including those who have been financing our deficit—begin to diversify their holdings. In China, Japan, Russia, and the Middle East, central bankers have been unloading dollars in favor of euros. The Bush policies that have deepened our debt have endangered the dollar's status as the world's reserve currency.

What is the Bush administration doing to alter course or at least cushion the blow? It's hard to say. During Condoleezza Rice's confirmation hearings last week, Sen. Paul Sarbanes, D–Md., raised some questions about the nexus between international economics and political power. Rice referred him to the secretary of the treasury.

The NIC issued the report a few weeks before Bush’s inaugural address, but it serves to dump still more cold water on the lofty fantasy of America delivering freedom to oppressed people everywhere. In Asia, the report states, "present and future leaders are agnostic on the issue of democracy and are more interested in developing what they perceive to be the most effective model of governance."

If the president really wanted to spread freedom and democracy around the planet, he would (among other things) need to present America as that "model of governance"—to show the world, by its example, that free democracies are successful and worth emulating. Yet the NIC report paints a world where fewer and fewer people look to America as a model of anything. We can't sell freedom if we can't sell ourselves.

Slate

Jawge...click thru to the full report on the CIA website...read and assess for yourself....das if yuh nuh fraid. lol!!
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Boss what do you gather from this statement:
    In this new world, a mere 15 years away, the United States will remain "an important shaper of the international order"—probably the single most powerful country—but its "relative power position" will have "eroded." The new "arriviste powers"—not only China and India, but also Brazil.

Oh an "important shaper" probably the single most powerful country but.. Boss I have no time fo this game of Semantics.

You speak of the US manufacturing base: If the LCD (not plasma which is on its way out) TV was made in the US, how much do you think it would cost? Yuh couldn't hab one neither I. Only movie stars and the elite could afford. Social security, healthcare? Will china have this in 15 years? I hope I will be around to see it.

Guess what? Let the US delcine as you say. This way the trrops can pull out of Europe and thosebillions in economic aid that Spain et al are receiving will stop and be spent right here. You did not address how china would maintain troops in Europe or how would they handle Japan. Speaking of Japan ? weren't the US a debtor nation and Japan's economy was red hot and the same blah blah?

Yes continue believe that the US will decline (at the same time the US has to be supplying techology to china) If they are so powerful and smart , why did president Clinton sign into law the release of sensitive technology?

I really wish it was as simple as you pose it. Dig into Europe's history; because you seem to believe they are all one happy family over there.

Thousand years China was an empire yes but to what extent.Hey the Aztecs and mayans had an empire. Did China project power around the world as britian did? Europe can do whatever but they day the troops return it's over (tell them to look east a little)

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
      Boss what do you gather from this statement:
      In this new world, a mere 15 years away, the United States will remain "an important shaper of the international order"—probably the single most powerful country—but its "relative power position" will have "eroded." The new "arriviste powers"—not only China and India, but also Brazil.

Oh an "important shaper" probably the single most powerful country but.. Boss I have no time fo this game of Semantics.

You speak of the US manufacturing base: If the LCD (not plasma which is on its way out) TV was made in the US, how much do you think it would cost? Yuh couldn't hab one neither I. Only movie stars and the elite could afford. Social security, healthcare? Will china have this in 15 years? I hope I will be around to see it.

Guess what? Let the US delcine as you say. This way the trrops can pull out of Europe and thosebillions in economic aid that Spain et al are receiving will stop and be spent right here. You did not address how china would maintain troops in Europe or how would they handle Japan. Speaking of Japan ? weren't the US a debtor nation and Japan's economy was red hot and the same blah blah?

Yes continue believe that the US will decline (at the same time the US has to be supplying techology to china) If they are so powerful and smart , why did president Clinton sign into law the release of sensitive technology?

I really wish it was as simple as you pose it. Dig into Europe's history; because you seem to believe they are all one happy family over there.

Thousand years China was an empire yes but to what extent.Hey the Aztecs and mayans had an empire. Did China project power around the world as britian did? Europe can do whatever but they day the troops return it's over (tell them to look east a little)

You are confused.

The CIA is an arm of the US government.....they see the reality of decline...it's their job to figure where the world order is headed so they can best try to influence it.

Decline does not mean the US is finished...all in life is relative. The US will be a strong power throughout our lifetimes but....relatively speaking the US will have less power 20 years from now than today....just as 20 years ago the US had relatively more power than today.....simple.

Plus if you only look at trends 15 years out you will see one set of circumstances...
      Figure on projecting that trend 30-50-100 years out what do you see? More trouble & less power.

Did you read download & read the CIA report...ar yuh fraid?

Yuh still inna di matrix my yute. Tek di rite pill.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Don, do you really believe that the cia would post on their website; what their intentions are in terms of economic policy towards the US competitors and agressors? If yes I have bridge in Brooklyn to sell for cheap plus Cd that pays 30% a month. Aren't they supposed to be a clandestine operation? Who do think is really in the matrix now (you or me)?

In short all those terror groups have to do is log on to the cia website and they will get everything they need to know. What is the role of this agency? isn't to protect the interest and security of the US. Are you telling me that the agency is now working for BRIC? The thing is that I don't need any pillls; you sir may have just taken the wrong one.

think hard on what I said in the above; you may discover that you have been taken for a ride?

It's okay I won't go further with this conversation because you are telling me that secret organization is putting out their secrets on a billboard on the I-95.

Comment

Don, do you really believe that the cia would post on their website; what their intentions are in terms of economic policy towards the US competitors and agressors? If yes I have bridge in Brooklyn to sell for cheap plus Cd that pays 30% a month. Aren't they supposed to be a clandestine operation? Who do think is really in the matrix now (you or me)?

In short all those terror groups have to do is log on to the cia website and they will get everything they need to know. What is the role of this agency? isn't to protect the interest and security of the US. Are you telling me that the agency is now working for BRIC? The thing is that I don't need any pillls; you sir may have just taken the wrong one.

think hard on what I said in the above; you may discover that you have been taken for a ride?

It's okay I won't go further with this conversation because you are telling me that secret organization is putting out their secrets on a billboard on the I-95.
          These things are not secret....it is merely information from open sources that anyone can access....and a projection of the future power balance in the world based on the trending.

Clearly you did not read the report....there are no INTENTIONS there. They don't post intentions...no one does.

Suggest you read the report if you want to comment on it....and open your mind to information.

Get the information then draw your own conclusions....not vice versa.

whaapen...yuh fraid?

Comment

Can the US do anything to prevent this 'decline' or is it a done deal ?

Mi si yuh all gone into the next 100 years.. lol !

What is missing from your 'reporting' are the internal social issues that China and India will face as they develop.. heh, heh.

Dem si di glamour and di glitter and tink a bed of roses !

Here is a lifeline to guide you through your confusion..

Knowledge = Power..

Study dat more.

Comment

The thing is that I don't need any pillls; you sir may have just taken the wrong one.
              lol !
              Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
              United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
              happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
              Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post

What is missing from your 'reporting' are the internal social issues that China and India will face as they develop.. heh, heh.

Knowledge = Power..

Study dat more.
                Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Can the US do anything to prevent this 'decline' or is it a done deal ?

Mi si yuh all gone into the next 100 years.. lol !

Here is a lifeline to guide you through your confusion..

Knowledge = Power..

Study dat more.
                  Talk to the CIA Rear Admiral...they will tell you the deal.

Doesn't your tribe still have close links there? Check dem.

Comment

wi have to diversify the portfolio den

Comment

Originally posted by 1of1 View Post
                      wi have to diversify the portfolio den
                      yuh seeit...

one more thinking person.

Comment

More of the slip shows.. as the World Turns...

Send me the CIA report on China so that I may see.. the other side of the equation.. one-sided equations are suspect..

lol !

Comment

More of the slip shows.. as the World Turns...

Send me the CIA report on China so that I may see.. the other side of the equation.. one-sided equations are suspect..

lol !
                          Rear Admiral..yuh nuh seh yuh nuh waan respond to mi post dem? Ah wha duh yuh?
                          Kip yuh word nuh....mi nuh waan nuh bredda ah falla mi...plus mi nuh wear slip....guh check yuh husban fi dat.

I don't need to send you anything Rear Admiral...I provided the link to the CIA report... educate yourself....I can lead the ass to the water ...but can't force it to drink..lol!

Comment

But mi nuh unnastan.. mi tink yuh was here to heducate us.. is heducation or agenda yuh pushing ???

Why yuh nuh show us both side of di story suh we can be heducated ???

lol !

Comment

But mi nuh unnastan.. mi tink yuh was here to heducate us.. is heducation or agenda yuh pushing ???

Why yuh nuh show us both side of di story suh we can be heducated ???

lol !
                              fi yuh head too tuff.... mi nuh post fi yuh...suh yuh cyan guhwhey an lef mi post dem

tap run afta mi lika likkle puppy

Comment

Working...
                              X