Wonder if Lazie and Assassin will agree now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder if Lazie and Assassin will agree now

... but I doubt they will, they will continue dancing and spinning even with the evidence smacking them in the head... the only thing growing since Bartlett took over is his frequent flyer miles

Rocky road for Bartlett

Published: Sunday | October 25, 2009

Bartlett (left) and Coke (right)
    Our series 'People Under Pressure' this week looks at Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett, Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher 'Dudus' Coke and Police Commissioner Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin.
    EDMUND BARTLETT moved into the job as tourism minister like a firefighter rushing into a burning building or a doctor racing into the delivery room at the 11th hour.
    Having shadowed the portfolio for several years, Bartlett started with an advantage over many of the new government ministers and was soon winning applause for his energy and drive.
    In fact, Bartlett was regularly among the top-performing ministers in any national poll with the only questions being about his frequent travels.
    But the past month has not been an easy road for the bubbly minister who had been praised by Prime Minister Bruce Golding for his work to keep the tourist industry afloat when other countries around us were floundering.
    First came news from major players in the tourist industry that things were much worse than reported by Bartlett.
    Hoteliers claimed they had many empty rooms despite deep discounts, soft bookings for the upcoming winter tourist season and a general malaise in the sector.
    hauled over coals
    And if that was not trouble enough, Bartlett was reportedly hauled over the coals by his boss after The Sunday Gleaner broke the story about the more than $8 million which was spent to refurbish his New Kingston offices.
    Bartlett initially seemed prepared to defend the expenditure pointing to the timeline and the possible saving in energy cost.
    But there was no way he could convince the country that $77,046 spent on an executive leather chair or $462,023 used to reupholster [COLOR=orange !important][COLOR=orange !important]woodwork[/COLOR][/COLOR] furniture was money well spent.
    Bartlett was quickly forced to change his tune and later admitted that the refurbishing could have been done differently.
    With Bartlett's 'furniture scandal' coming on the heels of the questionable expenditure on Mike Henry's house, the Bruce Golding administration found itself smack in the middle of its first real morality debate since assuming office in 2007.
    That was compounded last Wednesday when the Public Administration and Appropriations Committee of Parliament was told that the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) had spent millions of dollars to refurbish a community centre and repair roads in the East Central St James constituency.
    That is the constituency represented by none other than the tourism minister, Bartlett. Officials of the TEF argued that the expenditure was part of its outreach programme but were unable to tell the committee which other constituencies had been similarly treated.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Agree on what? That he is making up the numbers as you clearly stated on here. You have no objectivity when it comess to this. Again you can't dispute the numbers.

If Bartlett waste money he must be accountable for it but when unnu make statement saying the man is lying and you have no proof there is no way I can support it.

Again in my opinion he is the best tourism minister in the recent pass and without his effort and hard work we would be looking at at least 5 to 10% drop just like any other destination.

Again prove to me how he made up the arrival figures when the hotels and airport statistic confirmed it. Tourism is down one month for the year and the projection is that Jamaica will have a better winter season than last year while the caribbean will have a 19 decrease in traffic. So.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Behave yuhself Sickko. If there has been an increase in the room inventory, what yuh think gonna happen? Because some hotels are having a hard time doesn't mean there isn't an increase in arrivals. How many times must that be explained to you?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Assassin you dont have to take my word for it, read the Gleaner article, I did not write it or inspire it...the hoteliers dont agree with Bartlett's numbers either, are you going to call them liars too?

Both of you clowns claim links in the hotel and tourism industry make a few calls man and hear from those directly involved and stop playing the a55, if you can that is.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Gwaan spin, this has nothging to do with increase in rooms and percentages..Baghdad Bartlett too far from the contry living it up in five star hotel suites to have a clue.

The other day some residents in Cornwall Courts, a community in his constituency protested the horrendous state of the sewerage there and his response from overseas was that it must have been "politically motivated" maybe no one told him that the two politicians fanning the fire were his own JLP councillors.

Every time there is a crisis this man is some where else overseas far from what is happening here..time for him to come home...
          Che Guevara.

Comment

What are you talking about? Did they every dispute the fact that we have record arrivals last year.

The bank of Jamaica, and all other organizations have confirmed this increased arrivals, The JHTA and the hotels have all accepted that.

The fact is that spending is down and room rates are down everywhere, not only in Jamaica. Arrival was down last month in Jamaica and that is the second month so far this year. The fact is more hotel rooms have come on line making the spread wider but it is confirmed we have more arrivals while others in the caribbean are bleeding to up to 27%.

Can you imagine if we were down like Bahamas, Barbados, Cayman or Domincan Republic. I bet you don't address that.

That can't be denied.
            Last edited by Assasin; October 25, 2009, 11:17 AM.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
              Assassin you dont have to take my word for it, read the Gleaner article, I did not write it or inspire it...the hoteliers dont agree with Bartlett's numbers either, are you going to call them liars too?

Both of you clowns claim links in the hotel and tourism industry make a few calls man and hear from those directly involved and stop playing the a55, if you can that is.
              Yuh head that tuff bredren? Your hotel have 1 guest, Sass' hotel have 5 ... mine have 4, Whats the total count? Of course you're going to complain because you only get 1. Continue wid the foolishness.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                Gwaan spin, this has nothging to do with increase in rooms and percentages..Baghdad Bartlett too far from the contry living it up in five star hotel suites to have a clue.

The other day some residents in Cornwall Courts, a community in his constituency protested the horrendous state of the sewerage there and his response from overseas was that it must have been "politically motivated" maybe no one told him that the two politicians fanning the fire were his own JLP councillors.

Every time there is a crisis this man is some where else overseas far from what is happening here..time for him to come home...
                .. okay ... what does this have to do with the initial post you made? At times mi wonder if you and Barlett have some feud.

Comment

by the way I correspond with Hotel manager and exec in Jamaica every week. In case you don't know some of my good friends still work in the industry.

Comment

Again in my opinion he is the best tourism minister in the recent pass and without his effort and hard work we would be looking at at least 5 to 10% drop just like any other destination.
                    Mi agree wid dat!!

Bartlett is the best tourism minister in the past 2 years...no doubt!
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Portia and Assamba set di bar high..

LOL !!

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                        Portia and Assamba set di bar high..

LOL !!
                        yep!!
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                        X