X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal eagle says parents cannot be blamed for violent studen

Legal eagle says parents
    cannot be blamed for violent students

The legal fraternity has dismissed suggestions by a Government Minister that parents of children who are involved in violent attacks should be held criminally responsible for their actions.

Education Minister Andrew Holness while addressing a Parent Teachers Association meeting at the Ferncourt High School Thursday called for the police to investigate the parents of the students who were involved in Wednesday's fatal stabbing.
    A 17-year-old student of the school, Garron Jones, was stabbed to death by teenagers who reportedly disguised themselves as his school mates.
    But Attorney Bert Samuels says under the law, parents cannot be held responsible for the actions of their children.

"No a parent can be held responsible for a child who stabs another. That parent is at home and the child is in school, it is too remotely connected to the parent. If you give your 13 or 14 year old son your motorcar to drive then you can be held for aiding and abetting his driving without a license but if my child goes to school and conceals a knife and stabs another there is no way I can be responsible," Mr. Samuels said.
    Mr. Samuels also disagreed with the Education Minister's suggestion that the Court consider whether negligence on the part of the parents led to Wednesday's incident at Ferncourt.

"At school no parent can be attached in any way in terms of forseeability that the child would have done it. Even the question of searching the bag before the child left home. Even if it was proven that the child's parent did not search the bag to know if the child was carrying a knife; no you could not attach criminal responsibility because it is too remote," he said.
    In the meantime, President of the National Parent Teacher Association, Miranda Sutherland is calling for parents to be more vigilant in monitoring the activities of their children.

Ms. Sutherland says parents who fail to do so should be held responsible.
    "We continue to say to our parents that you have a responsibility to speak with your children, you have a responsibility to search their bags, you have a responsibility to even understand the kind of conversation that they are having on their cell phones,"

"You have a responsibility to know who the friends of your children are. Where we find parents who are negligent, who are not capable of paying attention to these fine details then it puts the rest of us in a very uncomfortable position," she said.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/22559/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

No! Parents have to take some responsibility, come on. See, this incident just fuels the advocates for the continuation of the class sytem in JA.

If I go about cussing out my neigbours, engage myself in throwing stones and bottles at my neighbours; even if my child is academically brilliant how will he/she resolve confrontations at school? These people are jokers.

Comment

hear what the MP fi yuh area haffi
      say bout di matter:
      http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead7.html

BTW is where in St.Ann yuh fram Lazie?

Comment

That rule will never work. The most unruly uptown youth who involved in stabbing incidents etc are usually the children of a politician or head of a big time company. Them man deh not going to allow that.

Comment

All in all because Ja is a plantocracy.; the same principle applies when the planter class lived above the law. The only thing that makes this less apparent is because the people dress different, speak different (from 17th century) and the machines such as cars, telephones and the like. Strip that away and you are three hundred years back.

Comment

Working...
          X