• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The publicist who keeps Usain Bolt on track

The publicist who keeps Usain Bolt on track

By Yvonne Grinam Nicholson, ABC

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes in the life of Usain Bolt - the world's fastest man?

Yes, so do I, and not just the 'dishy' parts, but the sensitive business communication areas that concern him as an international brand and a business.

Bolt. a wonderful athlete and person
    Speaking with the local and international press and making appearances on syndicated and local media cannot be all that easy to handle, considering that just a few short years ago the gangly, barely-out-of-his-teens man from Sherwood Content, North Trelawny (next to Duansvale) was miles away, from taking a seat on David Letterman's late show on CBS Television. But he did, after his tremendous successes at the Olympic Games in Beijing. The international media courted and wined and dined him.

There were of course some missteps along the way because like CEOs and other executives with excellent technical skills in their area of expertise athletes and their managers take for granted the importance of communications skills and rank them way down on the totem pole.

Enter Carole Beckford, a sports guru and herself a sportswoman and journalist who now wears the enviable hat of being Bolt's publicist.

With over 15 years experience as a broadcaster/producer/writer for news, sports and current affairs in television and radio, Carole is the author of the book, Keeping Jamaica's Sports on Track which was published in 2007. The book looks at a blueprint to
    achieve maximum sport development in Jamaica beginning with education.

How did she get involved?

Says she: "I am involved in Racers Track Club, of which Usain is a part. His manager had been scouting and I was offered the wonderful chance. I began by developing content for www.usainbolt.com and was part of his welcome committee for his September 14 return. His manager, after careful consultation with key people, made me an offer to be Usain's publicist. I accepted with no hesitation. Usain is a wonderful athlete and person, so he is easy to work with."

So, what's it like?

"We have had a tremendous number of requests from every corner of the world, from as far as the South Pole. His day-to-day activities involve scheduling interviews, managing requests, answering fan mail, and attending meetings. It has been hectic because Usain is on his off time and everyone wants a piece of him. But I am fairly organised so I have tables and charts to track requests. An email address is set up to respond automatically, but then I go back and respond to the particular request. I dedicate at least two hours a day, early mornings and late nights because of time zone difference."

"Public Relations (PR) in sport is critical in building image, reputation and being strategic with regards to media houses, outside of sports which appeals directly to our audiences. So, for example, we would look more at lifestyle publications. Also, charity is an important part of PR as it sends a message of 'caring, giving back and community' - those messages are key to an overall brand development".

"Sport is big business and so it is an industry which requires more careful study. There is a lot more money in the business of sport, but developing countries need to develop a more strategic approach to benefiting from sport as a business. There are far more opportunities for athletes (generally) and also for consumers. There are so many different ways to consume sport which has become more of an experience. Sport has become more accessible through traditional and non-traditional methods," she said.

No upstart, 'never-see-come-see', Carole got into sports journalism in 1983 at Fercnourt High School and as a student at Mico College in 1987 was hired by Sports Editor, Tony Becca, after sending a summary of the College's sports day.

Her professional background is concentrated on sport. In 2008 she was a Member of the Local Organising Committee with responsibility for Logistics and Publications at the UNESCO Sport for Peace and Development. She was the Director of Communications in the Ministry of Tourism and Sport from 2001 to 2003 and the Chairman of the Committee which coordinated the first Women in Sport Conference in Jamaica in 2002. Carole was also part of a policy team which developed sporting programmes for women and she was President of the Jamaica Volleyball Association from November 2001 to December 2005 as well as Chairman of Local Organising Committee to host the first ever World Championship Qualifier in Jamaica (April 2004).

Yvonne Grinam-Nicholson MBA, ABC, is a Business Communications Consultant with RO Communications Jamaica, specializing in business communication, employee communications and financial publications. Contact: yvonne@rocommunications.com or go to www.rocommunications.com

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz... _ON_TRACK.asp#
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

this is what happens when you take the time to do things right and set up a proper structure. After 10 years the JFF could have done this as they had the money after France 98.

So now we see that as a people we aren't dumb and we are capable of performing at the highest level.

Its time to end the foolishes and stop with the excuses for underperforming. We know what to do so just humble ourselves sit and do it

respect

Comment

she never study a farin?! den she cyaan have much use!

cho!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

not only dat, bolt can in no way be world class!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
        X