Bubbling Spring. Good going Mr. ************an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubbling Spring. Good going Mr. ************an

Visitors to the Bubbling Spring Mineral Bath in Middle Quarters, St Elizabeth, frolic in the water flowing from the spring. It is believed that the water has healing properties. - Contributed photos
    There is something good bubbling on the south coast for tourism development. It is happening in St Elizabeth in a little district named Point Hill, which is located in a community very famous for its spicy, juicy shrimp, called Middle Quarters.
    Welcome to Bubbling Spring Mineral Bath, one of the newest and most popular attractions along the south coast.
    On almost any given day, this little spot is packed with local and overseas tourists wanting to experience the soothing waters gushing from the mineral spring.
    It has miraculous healing properties, locals say, and some who have bathed in the spring are convinced that it alleviates the pain and ailments of aching bones and bodies.
    But it is another miracle that its owner, Lincoln ************an, is most thankful for. He started the [COLOR=orange !important][COLOR=orange !important]business[/color][/color] on the advice of neighbours and friends nine years ago, but in spite of the uniqueness of his absolutely natural product, it was a struggle to keep it open - until he found a remedy.
    Certified

Lincoln ************an, proprietor of Bubbling Spring Mineral Bath, talks about the therapeutic benefits of the spring.
    "I called in the Scientific Research Council (SRC) because I couldn't just take people's word for it that the spring had healing properties," ************an said. He also applied for and received a permit from the National Environment and Planning Agency.
    Carol Thompson of the SRC said the council tested for sodium, calcium, potassium, manganese and iron. Most of these elements are also found in other major mineral baths in the island, such as Milk River Bath in Clarendon.
    Many people promised to invest in the property, ************an said, but none of them came forward with the funds. The situation left him in a bind that made it nearly impossible to develop the project and market his product.
    "JN Small Business Loans came in when my back was against the wall and I had nowhere else to turn."
    ************an obtained a loan from the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) through JN Small Business Loans Limited (JNSBL) and he is fulsome in his gratitude for the assistance.
    JNSBL, one of the island's largest lenders to micro, small and medium enterprises, has disbursed some 61 TEF loans valued at $155.7 million as at August 2009.
    Applicants can receive up to $3 million from the fund at an interest rate of three per cent per annum for a maximum of five years. And 30 per cent of the loan proceeds may be used to assist the applicant with becoming tax compliant.
    Available to operators
    "The TEF loan is available to assist small-business operators in the tourism sector," said General Manager of JNSBL, Frank Whylie.
    "Small hotels, attractions, villas and apartment owners in Jamaica can receive assistance to expand and develop their properties."
    ************an learned about the loan facility through the Tourism Product Development Company (TPDCO) and, to his surprise, obtaining the loan from JNSBL was a much smoother process than he had anticipated.
    "When I approached them, I thought I would get the same run-around that everybody else gave me," ************an said. "But the hardest part was preparing the documents required. Shortly after that, they approved the loan."
    After celebrating with his family when word came that his $3 million loan had been approved, ************an went to work immediately. He upgraded the facility by repainting the structure and dredging the bath. He added river stones to the bottom of the pool and installed a ramp for the disabled to enhance his visitors' experience. A restaurant located on the property was re-painted and 100 more seats added. He also put in other attractions, such as go-kart racing.
    200 guests daily
    And visitors flowed into the new and improved Bubbling Spring Mineral Bath facility as never before.
    "Before, we used to see about five people coming here each day. Now, I am getting 50, some days 100, and sometimes 200 people a day," ************an said. "People just start wondering what happened to Bubbling Spring. It just transformed in about a month."
    The improved business has generated employment for many in the community. ************an was able to increase his own staff complement by 100 per cent, moving the numbers employed to him from three to six.
    Additionally, he buys produce and meat for his restaurant directly from farmers in the community. Shrimp vendors also benefit from the establishment, as they are allowed to sell to the visitors outside the gates of the facility, while bus and taxi operators have seen an increase in demand for their service from persons wanting to visit the bath.
    ************an will be investing more into his business soon, hoping to add villas to the package to provide his visitors with a place to rest their head.
    Last edited by Mosiah; October 12, 2009, 12:01 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Need an Update by December!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    And visitors flowed into the new and improved Bubbling Spring Mineral Bath facility as never before.
    "Before, we used to see about five people coming here each day. Now, I am getting 50, some days 100, and sometimes 200 people a day," ************an said. "People just start wondering what happened to Bubbling Spring. It just transformed in about a month."

Additionally, he buys produce and meat for his restaurant directly from farmers in the community. Shrimp vendors also benefit from the establishment, as they are allowed to sell to the visitors outside the gates of the facility, while bus and taxi operators have seen an increase in demand for their service from persons wanting to visit the bath.
    This is a very good story. Hopefully, a follow-up story will be done in three or four months’ time, that is, after the extortionists and touts have moved in, settled and claimed their portion of the business!

If my remark sounds caustic, I apologize, but the Jamaica I know today is a decidedly unfriendly place for entrepreneurs such as this who want to make a decent living and at the same time advance the tourism product.

Comment

This is not Kingston. He might be okay for a while.

I now work in Mobay, and despite its admirable efforts to wrest the title of murder capital away from Kingston, one can still work in many areas out here where extortionists do not operate.

Oops!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        This is a very good story. Hopefully, a follow-up story will be done in three or four months’ time, that is, after the extortionists and touts have moved in, settled and claimed their portion of the business!

If my remark sounds caustic, I apologize, but the Jamaica I know today is a decidedly unfriendly place for entrepreneurs such as this who want to make a decent living and at the same time advance the tourism product.
        It may prove difficult for the 'bad people' to move in. Dem deh country people roun deh suh nuh hee=sey!

Never knew of this place? ...and I used to pass through very often in the days of the 1960s through to 1990. As fact, passed by a few Sunday's past and never noticed any signs of the estabishment.
        Wish the business succeeds!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I can't even recall seeing a sign for Y's falls, Jamaica has a lack of signs for Towns and places of interest, have you ever seen a sign that says "A1, A2, & A3, except on a gas station map?

BTW nuh even look for the sign for Milk River.

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
            I can't even recall seeing a sign for Y's falls, Jamaica has a lack of signs for Towns and places of interest, have you ever seen a sign that says "A1, A2, & A3, except on a gas station map?

BTW nuh even look for the sign for Milk River.
            Yuh rite!
            ...plus our signs are not for helping visitors
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I read somewhere where some money was located for road sign throughtout the island recently. That is a start but these spots need to find creative way to sell there product to passerby.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Re: Need an Update by December

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                Touts plague Bath Fountain
                World renowned spa off the divestment list
                By HG HELPS Editor-at-Large Investigative Coverage Unit icu@jamaicaobserver.com
                Sunday, June 14, 2009

A swarm of touts is threatening the viability of the already hard-pressed Bath Fountain, Hotel & Spa which houses one of the world's most powerful and therapeutic mineral springs, a major contributor to the economy of St Thomas.

The persistent touts harass visitors and sometimes convince them not to support the hotel, resort officials have complained.

Hustlers pose for our cameras outside the gate of the Bath Fountain Hotel and Spa as they wait for visitors.

"The whole thing is affecting us badly," said Donovan Downie, acting head of operations at Bath Fountain, in an interview.

One tourist who visited the location recently described the situation there as "the exact opposite of what visitors to the facility go there to get".
                The touts have taken over the periphery of the facility, a mainstay for the rural town of Bath in picturesque eastern St Thomas. Resort officials say they effectively turn off and turn away would-be visitors, many of whom see the bath as a big change from the fast-paced environs of Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios.

The touts run a thriving business of their own, luring visitors to a section of the hill overlooking the Bath Fountain, telling gullible tourists that they could take them to the origin of the source of the water reputed to be medicinally invigorating to the body.

FERGUSON... there have been recommendations to see how we can regularise some of those persons into becoming tour guides
                That so-called 'source' is actually water running down a piece of bamboo stuck out of a rock and which has not been certified as beneficial to the body, a Sunday Observer investigation has revealed. But as touts do, other 'services' are offered to the willing visitor: "Wha happen boss, lef something wid me nuh," one tout begged this reporter. "Me have some a di good stuff over dey so you nuh," another said, a coded reference to marijuana.

"If you even want you car fi wash me can do dat too," remarked yet another member of the posse of hustlers.

Downie lamented the fact that the touts were so successful. "A lot of people come here for the first time and they allow these guys, who are not trained, to mislead them with wrong information and lure them up to the hills.

"Some of them then complain about the cost as we hear that the guys charge them up to $2,000 for a bath," Downie said.

It costs $600 to soak in one of the pools for around 20 minutes, the maximum time professionals believe that the body should stay in it. Nightly room rates at the property range from $4,800 to $5,600.

It costs $600 to soak in one of the pools for around 20 minutes, the maximum time professionals believe that the body should stay in it. Nightly room rates at the property range from $4,800 to $5,600.

The Bath Fountain Hotel in St Thomas. (Photos: Lionel Rookwood)

"A lot of people are afraid of these guys. When they (touts) see a vehicle coming toward the fountain, they walk or ride towards it and try to divert them. We have reported the matter to the police but they do very little about it," Downie complained. However, Bath police representative, special constable Caswayne Fuller said that he had seen no recent record of a complaint made by the Bath Fountain or from visitors.

"I am a new kid on the block, but for the past two weeks I haven't seen or heard of any complaint being reported to us. I have also checked the book and have seen nothing," Fuller said. But Downie is insisting that the police need to do more.

"Most of the activities occur after 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon when we get most of our visitors. That's when the guys approach the visitors most. The police have been told that, but they would come here at times around 10 o'clock in the morning and leave after a few minutes when nothing is happening.

"It is putting a dent on the community and most people who come say they are not returning. The hotel has written to the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Tourism, who has also written to the permanent secretary in the Ministry of National Security, but nothing has happened.

"Approval was granted by the National Works Agency and the parish council for the gate to the entrance to be pushed further down the road, but when the work should have started, the guys started to protest and the workmen backed off. Nothing has happened since," Downie added.

Member of Parliament for Eastern St Thomas, Dr Fenton Ferguson corroborated Downie's information, saying he believed the problem was getting worse and that there was a need to turn things around.

"What is taking place now didn't happen overnight. It has been a process over time whereby during the period you find that the fountain having developed a reputation and having the springs in the hills, a number of persons from the neighbouring communities have formed relationships with guests coming to the Bath Fountain.

"Many of them have gone out and have learnt to some extent the skills, in terms of massaging etc. Many of them have their clients, local and overseas, who come in at different times of the year and they perform their activities and leave very pleased.

"What has happened in recent years is, as the economic situation worsens, you find more and more persons are looking to the Bath Fountain as an area of revenue. You would see with vendors selling mangoes or any other product, you see the tendency now that once there is the arrival of a guest or guests, you find that persons are literally fighting to get to them."

Ferguson said the complaints had been getting louder in the last five or so years, because some of the youngsters had "become boisterous and even vicious and to that extent whether it is tourists local or overseas, many become frightened by their actions and activities".

The MP said that the fountain had been on the agenda for divestment for over 25 years and a decision needed to be made now as to what should happen to it.

But the tourism ministry has apparently changed its mind about selling the property. "As far as I know, it is no longer up for divestment, said Tina Williams of the tourism ministry's communications division. "Plans for divestment have been shelved. A Cabinet decision was taken last year in relation to Bath and Milk River (Hotel and Spa)," Williams said.

Ferguson, who was a minister of state in the previous People's National Party (PNP) government, said efforts had been made to deal with the problem of harassment.

"There have been recommendations to see how we can regularise some of those persons into becoming tour guides and even in terms of additional training that they too can become masseurs or carry out certain kinds of health-related activities, by virtue of having been around for sometime," he said.

"We have not got to that point, because every time the divestment process gets to a certain stage, there is something that comes up to abort it and with that it's almost like starting all over again. "I am going to be initiating again with the management and the tourism ministry to see to what extent we will be able to get some action going, relative to these persons. There is a strong possibility that we can strike some kind of partnership."

Despite the problem of touts, the resort said, no guest had been harmed and hotel executives were anxious to clear up doubts about the operation of the facility, saying it remains open for business, in spite of recent rains in the area.

Comment

There is a remarkable place in Westmoreland (near Petersfield) called Roaring River.

Roaring River (if i am not mistaken) is the source for the Cabarita River. It's amazing to see the clear sparkling water oozing from what the locals describe as a 'bottomless' spring.

One touter told me..."bass some divah wid tenk pan dem back ...from 'merka come yah an cudden battam this yah spring......who?" he said kissing his teeth.

There is also an awesome system of caves in the area....

I have not been there is many years.

What i can remember was the touting as described in the above article. It's a big turn off to what could be a cash cow for the community if properly managed.

"We" are our worst enemy.

Just found this:

Not to be confused with the Roaring River that is a tributary to the Dunns River in St. Anns, this Roaring River and Blue Hole are located just a few miles Northeast of Savanna La Mar in the little village of
                  . Shrewsbury was one of the 24 estates owned by Peter Beckford, a horse trader who arrived in 1660 and broke his neck some 50 years later when he intervened in a riot in the.

There are two sources of the Roaring River. Once source of water gushes from and old aqueduct while the other is a Blue Hole where the upwelling of water flows down to meet the other source in a confluence at a 300-year-old Cottonwood tree. Part of the subterranean flow of this river passes through Karst limestone caverns snaking through a rock formation across the river from that tree. A footpath ascends up this rock outcropping to a locked iron gate at the top of the path. Residents of the area have the key and provide color][/color] for $10.00 US per person.

The cathedral-like caverns are quite large with a small amount of electrical light place conveniently out of sight providing a wonderful ambiance. Smaller pools and caverns branch off along the way requiring a small bit of stooping to avoid the overhanging formations. Be sure to bring a bathing suit and a towel, as the water is very clean and loaded with healing minerals. Dr. Scott, a Massage Therapist and Healer can be hired as a guide if you ask for him.

During the Winter Months, a Mento-like band plays songs in the caverns for your entertainment. The percussion is provided by striking pieces of bamboo with a stick and by cleverly playing a set of stalactites like a xylophone. A tip for their services is requested after the music is played. All along the passages, the guide points out, with his flashlight, shapes and textures in the walls and on the ceiling that through suggestion become recognizable animals and people. About a mile or so up a poorly maintained road is the Blue Hole that has been encircled by a private enterprise that charges a pricey admission. Rustic cabins are available to rent and I-tal food meals can be prepared. For all you people who desire to see a stellar attraction that has yet to be totally commercialized, Roaring River is the spot for you!
                  Massage Therapist, Dr. Scott Call him at 876-365-6173 for a Special [COLOR=#555555! important][COLOR=#555555! important]Tour[/color][/color] and Massage! Need help in planning your [COLOR=#555555! important][COLOR=#555555! important]adventure [COLOR=#555555! important]travel[/color][/color][/color] while in Jamaica? Feel free to email me at the following address: accompong98@yahoo.com See other articles written by Bill Evans at: http://www.jamaicans.com/tourist/jletters/index.htm#bill
                  Last edited by HL; October 12, 2009, 06:11 PM.
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I Agree With You, HL

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    What i can remember was the touting as described in the above article. It's a big turn off to what could be a cash cow for the community if properly managed.

"We" are our worst enemy.
                    Thanks for the additional information you’ve posted here, HL. I didn’t even know about this Roaring River before!

I quoted that particular section of your comments because I was a bit amazed at one or two of the replies to my post yesterday, replies which focused on what was apparently seen as the impossibility of pimps, extortionists and touters to survive because “it is not Kingston”!

This is certainly an amazing and overly optimistic conclusion by Jamaicans today, particularly when one considers that extortionists have been so successful that they long ago spread their wings outside of Kingston and St Andrew and are now prominent in Spanish Town, May Pen, and reaching even as far inland as Mandeville!! Talk about denial. But I cannot deny the distinct possibility that the Bubbling Spring Mineral Bath in St Elizabeth will be a different scenario in another few months time.

By the way, I still remember with much sorrow, and intense anger, the murder of a man with whom I had many close conversations in the past, businessman Maurice Azan of May Pen, simply because he decided to take a stand against extortionists!

But you know what, let me stop here .

Comment

Ok, Historian. Stay in your safe American home and continue to berate all thats Jamaican. You seem to know more than even those who live here. But then again, that's what living in America does to you - y'all become omniscient!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cho.. wi shun dat road in 1972...

'Rule in Hell' is wheh certain leadah decide..(with a healthy part of the population serving in Hell 37 years later)

Comment

Blue Hole?
                          Is that the Mayfield Falls of Hanover? ...just down the road - roun di carna - from Woodsville, near Great Valley where the Post Office for ColdSpring (my roots) & that of the great Merlene Ottey (forget the nonsense about her birthplace being Pondside, Hanover)...

Visit the link for Maysfield Falls - http://www.attractions-jamaica.com/ . Click on "Waterfalls".

btw - As yuh said the border Hanover/Westmoreland is but a 'skip and jump' down di road. ...and there is a small bridge just about where that 'meeting' of di watah jine hup.

You must visit Mayfield Falls well worth the experience. Funny...it was on...is on my backdoor and I never knew of it until a few years past

http://www.attractions-jamaica.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            Ok, Historian. Stay in your safe American home and continue to berate all thats Jamaican. You seem to know more than even those who live here. But then again, that's what living in America does to you - y'all become omniscient!
                            Yuh love throw wud pon people who live in Merica nuh Well, FYI Historian lives in the BAHAMAS!
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                              Yuh love throw wud pon people who live in Merica nuh Well, FYI Historian lives in the BAHAMAS!
                              Erm...Bahamas...Florida...what' the difference? One is a state, one is a bigtime wannabe!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X