Lisa Hanna loses custody case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa Hanna loses custody case

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Lisa Hanna loses custody case</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>PAUL HENRY, Observer writer
    Thursday, November 30, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=110 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Lisa Hanna</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Former Miss World Lisa Hanna yesterday lost her custody battle in the Appeal Court which upheld an earlier court order that her five-year-old son be returned to his father, former Jamaica Labour Party senator David Panton, who now lives in the USA.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Hanna had appealed the March 20, 2006 decision by Justice Gloria Smith that the child be returned to Panton, who lives in Georgia, as her holding the child was in breach of a previous agreement between Hanna and her ex-husband.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In her appeal, Hanna said that Smith erred in her judgment, but the court found differently yesterday, ruling: "The order of Miss Justice Smith for the summary return of the child to Atlanta, Georgia is affirmed."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Panton and Hanna got married in New York and returned to Jamaica where the child was born. The family later moved to Georgia in February 2004 where the couple divorced five months later.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=121 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>David Panton</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Based on a signed agreement between the two on June 9, 2004, a final judgment and decree was pronounced in the Superior Court of Fulton County, Atlanta, Georgia, giving "primary physical custody" of the child to Panton, with visiting rights to Hanna.<P class=StoryText align=justify>But Hanna filed a motion in the US court on August 10 for the judgment to be set aside on the ground of "duress". The court, however, denied the motion on August 25, stating that she had consented to and complied with the signed agreement.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Hanna, who lived next door to the child and his father, returned to Jamaica a year later.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In December 2005, Panton brought the child to Jamaica for a one-month stay with Hanna, with the understanding that he would return for the boy in January 2006. However, after returning to the island, Panton had to leave on January 11 without the child, who, according to court documents, was "restrained" by Hanna "contrary to their agreement".<P class=StoryText align=justify>Hanna later took out an injunction granting her custody of the child and an injunction restraining the removal of the child from the island. On March 20, Smith granted Panton an order discharging the injunction and seeking permission to take the child back to the US.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Hanna appealed on the grounds, in part, that when Smith sought to count the child's substantial connection to Georgia, she "failed to mention or balance the 19 or more criteria which established the child's real substantial and continued connection with Jamaica", which led to her "erroneous" decision.<P class=StoryText align=justify>But Smith, in her March ruling, noted that the requirements for the child's return were satisfied, as he was attending school; was going to church; had developed a bond with relatives in Georgia; and his father was in a "good job" and owned a house.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Following arguments in June, July and November, Justice Zailia McCalla, one of the three Appeal Court justices, concluded

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: Lisa Hanna loses custody case

I wonder what went wrong with this marriage as I have heard of some really 'skettel' behavior in public places between these two.

I heard that Lisa really went on bad in the Atlanta airport once that people who knew who she was just hung their heads and looked the other way. She also has a history of making bad choices with men as well.

I know David from way back when and to be honest I wonder if it was not for his money, no matter how bright he was, would he be able to get some one like Lisa Hanna?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Tough! Now she may have to move back to Atlanta, if she want to see her pickney more often.

Woman - know thy rights.

BTW: did Panton marry the Trini (Wendy FitzWilliams)- she was expecting his child?
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Did run into Panton whilst in

JA (October). His child custody battle is getting ugly with no end in sight.Bwoy it funny how man can still playa hate pon man fi dem woman. aaah boy, is so life go.

Comment

No end in sight? I thing this is the end, Jawge.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

oh yeah watch if Hannah nah go

come back wid suppen an reappeal. Mark mi words :P

Comment

Sickko (11/30/2006)I wonder what went wrong with this marriage as I have heard of some really 'skettel' behavior in public places between these two.

I heard that Lisa really went on bad in the Atlanta airport once that people who knew who she was just hung their heads and looked the other way. She also has a history of making bad choices with men as well.

I know David from way back when and to be honest I wonder if it was not for his money, no matter how bright he was, would he be able to get some one like Lisa Hanna?
              Heard and read about those in the grapevine too!!
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

re-appeal?!! jawge.....it's only left to go to the privy council...she may have some recourse in the us courts...it seems that there is an action there too....

duress is her best argument for signing the &#100;ocument...that is the only way to get out of it. is mi good sistren still and i personally think she has gotten a bad rap...rumour mongering can tek it's toll sometimes

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Wha kinda argument that. I have seen some "Mug" to rhatid get some pretty girl and them nuh have no money.

Sometimes we nuh get the pretty one dem cause we doubt we self as man and man.

Mi learn long time ago say you have fi take up the challenge and run wid it. It is only a 50% chance of yes or no
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Don't quite understand what you mean. What does it take to get "a girl like Lisa Hanna" that he doesn't have? He seems like a typical choice for a former Jamaican beauty queen to me: a financially successful, public figure with political connections.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

So unnu never see that Jailbird marry Liz Taylor.

and Unnu hear bout the "flavor of love" wid Flavor Flav

Some a them Uptown girl want the real ghetto youth. You ever hear the tune "Hand Cart Bwoy" by Perfect?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Jamaican beauty queens traditionally don't follow that plot.

Most of them change them boyfriend andgo "further uptown" within a year or two of winning thier crown.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

A hear you still but a cause them nuh get the "wikedest slam" and some sweet lyrics.

You seen Harlem Nights? When the Man call him wife and a cry say Honey tell the kids bye bye I am never coming back home after sunshine give him the work

Comment

Gamma she ah go catch him in

di Us courts. Truss mi pon dat. Done talk :P

Comment

Assasin (11/30/2006)Some a them Uptown girl want the real ghetto youth. You ever hear the tune "Hand Cart Bwoy" by Perfect?
                              True that Sass - mi have a cousin and is pure thugish man she love:w00t:
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X