RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbie Nelson?..But ah wha dis Faada??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbie Nelson?..But ah wha dis Faada??!!

'Herbie' Nelson eyes success as KC's new principal

BY HG HELPS Editor-at-Large
    Monday, September 28, 2009
    A former Manning Cup football star is on a mission to score the most rewarding goal of his life: taking Kingston College (KC) to greater success.
    NELSON...I am looking forward to working there and keeping that great spirit going

Herbert "Herbie" Nelson, the powerfullybuilt former Jamaica College forward of the 1970s, has been appointed the new principal of the all-boys school, KC, and is bursting at the seams in his quest to improve the 84-year-old institution that has produced some of Jamaica's outstanding all-round talent.

"It will be a daunting task, but it is something that I have accepted humbly, while recognising the mission ahead," Nelson, 53, told the Observer, days before he replaces acting principal Everton Burrell as day-to-day head of the school that has campuses at North Street and Upper Elletson Road in the Jamaica capital.

Nelson takes over on Thursday, October 1 and his appointment is for an initial one-year period, after which his work will be assessed by the Ministry of Education to determine his future.

Now, the man who broke KC hearts when his JC outfit downed the famed Purples 1-0 in the 1974 Manning Cup final, believes that his success will be spurred largely by the KC or 'Fortis' spirit in his first assignment as operational head of a high school.
    "I went to Jamaica College which was still at the time an aristocratic school. KC started as a school for underprivileged boys by Bishop Gibson, and the sort of camaraderie displayed by KC boys past and present is second to none.

"I take the appointment with humility and a level of responsibility. It is a demanding job. I am ready now and happy that the Board of Governors has chosen me.
    "After I did the interview, they said that I was converted and that I am now fully purple," Nelson said.

A schoolboy hero in his time, Nelson knows what it is like to operate under pressure from a demanding community of boys who always want to be filled with success.

Following JC's victory in 1974 with an all-conquering team that also included inspirational captain Martin Woodstock, one of the finest talent to have played schoolboy football, and Luke "Shenk" Whitney, KC gained revenge the following year and went on to win the Walker Cup knockout and the all-island Olivier Shield, something that Nelson remembers vividly, and credited the school for its fighting spirit.

"KC is one of the great Jamaica schools. It's one of the best. I am looking forward to working there and keeping that great spirit going," he said of the institution that started operating on April 16, 1925.
    Already, members of the KC fraternity have embraced Nedlson's appointment.

Chairman of the KC Old Boys Association (Jamaica chapter) Dr Ray Fraser is looking forward to working with the man on whose shoulders the burden of managing the activities and affairs of over 1,800 boys of the institution rest.

"He is coming at a time when we have not had an appointed principal for about five years," said Dr Fraser, the senior medical officer of the Annotto Bay hospital in St Mary.

"I hope that he brings leadership to the school and brings all the stakeholders, including the old boys, the PTA, the Trust Fund together so that we can all work for the common good of the school we love so much.
    "The school has a rich tradition of excellence and I hope that it will continue under his leadership," Dr Fraser said.

Nelson holds a first degree in history and a master's degree in education administration, tools which he believes will prepare him for the job of being not the ordinary headmaster, but one who exemplifies sound management skills.
    He taught at Campion College for nine years and worked at the now Jamaican Foundation for Lifelong Learning, formerly JAMAL, for 11 years.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Wow. Herbie has aged a bit. I wonder what Woody (Martin Woodstock) is doing now. Herbie in charge of KC.? My how things have changed.

Comment

I am sure his JAMAL experience will serve him well...but he said JC was an "aristocratic" school. What did he mean by this?

Comment

I sincerely hope that was not a shot at what can be modestly described as the best school in the world.

Comment

Modestly?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
            Modestly?
            Rudi is correct...if he wanted to be immodest...he would have said the best school in the UNIVERSE....that might be a bit of a stretch.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
              Wow. Herbie has aged a bit. I wonder what Woody (Martin Woodstock) is doing now. Herbie in charge of KC.? My how things have changed.
              Woodstock and most of the Mona crew is in Florida.

Comment

True ting dat I know Jimmy Sinclair and Leslie Farr live a Florida
                Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
                Mitty

Comment

Herbie was a big towering forward like Onandi Lowe, but wid more sense and a little less mobility...good forward in dem days deh. A wonda how much dem a pay him, a hope is a lot, im gwaan need fi tek care a him body. Mixing blue blood wid purple blood we poison yu body.
                  Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
                  Mitty

Comment

I never followed his "career" but never figured him as an academic. Mr. Carnegie would be proud of him. Well done Herbie! I think I have a JC mag from the early 70s with a picture of Herbie jugglling a ball. The caption I believe is "...99, 100, ..."
                    Last edited by Peter R; September 28, 2009, 11:30 PM.
                    Peter R

Comment

At least he has all his hair, unlike some of us.
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                        I never followed his "career" but never figured him as an academic. Mr. Carnegie would be proud of him. Well done Herbie! I think I have a JC mag from the early 70s with a picture of Herbie jugglling a ball. The caption I believe is "...99, 100, ..."

From what I know of him...academic he was not...in fact somewhat the opposite. However things can change.

Plus im was some years ahead...suh mi ah talk 3rd han...

Comment

Don1, Herbie is my contemporary... it does go to show that we don't all realize our potential at the same rate.. my older brother just emailed me this story, his comment? " Can you believe ? Herbie Nelson?"
                          I'm happy for Herbie and wish him well.
                          Peter R

Comment

I remember another big forward back in those days....I think it was KC? Anyone remember?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                              Don1, Herbie is my contemporary... it does go to show that we don't all realize our potential at the same rate.. my older brother just emailed me this story, his comment? " Can you believe ? Herbie Nelson?"
                              I'm happy for Herbie and wish him well.
                              fi real!

Comment

Working...
                              X