Study discovers that deportees continue criminal ways in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study discovers that deportees continue criminal ways in Jamaica

The findings of a comprehensive study on the effects of criminal deportation was tabled on Tuesday in the house of representatives.

<SPAN class=news_body>In a statement to the house, National Security Minister, Dr. Peter Phillips, pointed to what has been described as a frightening correlation between increases in deportees and murder rates, sexual, drug and gun related offences.

The report also details significant social, emotional and financial dislocation caused by deportation.

Dr. Phillips noted that the study finds that many deportees continue to engage in serious criminal activities following their return to Jamaica.

He said at the most basic level the findings demonstrated that deported criminal offenders are convicted of crimes in Jamaica at approximately the same rate as local offenders.

The National Security Minister noted that the rate of conviction for deported persons was one in 18 compared to one in 17 for the general population.

He said this means that while deported persons are not necessarily more likely to be convicted of crimes they are as likely to contribute to crimes as the rest of the population.

Within this context Dr. Phillips argued that the increasing number of deportees in the population is likely to have a direct impact on the crime rate.

He said in a survey of self reported criminal offences 53 per cent of those interviewed revealed that they have been directly involved in criminal activities since their deportation.

In relation to the social impact, Dr. Phillips said the findings revealed that almost 60 per cent of persons interviewed had lived overseas for more than 11 years with almost half having migrated when they were minors.

Dr. Phillips outlined several recommendations of the team which conducted the study.

He said the team which conducted the study is recommending the establishment of a multi-agency response team to collaborate with community based and non-governmental organisations to respond to deported persons with special needs.</SPAN>
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Study discovers that deportees continue criminal ways in Jamaica

Not to bea jackass or anything but......isn't this pretty much a "duh" study? - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Is it? More like people finding excuses for their failures.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (11/29/2006)Is it? More like people finding excuses for their failures.
        No sah....If a person is a criminal in Jamaica they will be a criminal in America. If a person is a criminal in America he will be a criminal in Jamaica. That should be pretty easy to figure out if you ask me. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. If you have a history of criminal behavior in one countrythat behavior will not disappear because you are now in another country.- T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

First thing, not every deportee is a criminal. People are deported for immigration matters, people are deported due to their ignorance, yes alot of them are deported for breaking US, Canada or English immigration laws, but that does not mean they are criminals back home. I know kruffs in New York who admit that they behave when they're in Jamaica, because when the S H I T hit the fan, a deh so dem affi run guh.

I posted an article last week, Unwelcome Strangers: the Deportee Experience, which shows that deportees are treated as if they have the plague. Now when Peter Phillips guh mek such a claim, how are the deportees gonna be treated now?

Yes alot of them are criminals, not arguing that, but this report is simply passing the blame because they cannot significantly reduce the murder rate. They were reporting that there was a 25% reduction in the murder rate, weren't the deporteescoming back then? Dem wanna call elections suh put it out there that is the deportees doing it, dem know people will buy it.

Comment

<DIV>My business partner in a company I have in Jamaica is a deportee, and so were two of our employees. Small company so two was a significant amount.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>So, you are right, Lazie. Not all are criminals. In fact, my biz partner is a computer genius!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

and because you are a computer

genius, you cannot be a criminal? Thanks Mo.

Comment

This response is deep and should be

pondered by students in the political arena.

Comment

T.K. (11/29/2006)Not to bea jackass or anything but......isn't this pretty much a "duh" study? - T.K.
                  The overwhelming majorityof the crimes committed are by home grown thugs. There are deportees who are obviously involved in criminal activities, but home grown thugs are the major players in Crime Inc.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

These Leaders are in some type of vacuum, that is a no brainer to anyone on the street. Don't tell me dem pay fi disya study.

Comment

Working...
                    X