RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Rwanda can Reconcile & Cooperate, why can't Jamaica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Rwanda can Reconcile & Cooperate, why can't Jamaica?

The Rwandan Reconciliation

(By Ricardo Mazalan -- Associated Press)

By Sarel Kandell Kromer
    Sunday, October 16, 2005

The nine Rwandan judges filed into a grassy enclosure shaded by tarps to keep out the equatorial sun. Each wore a blue, green and yellow sash that said " inyangamugayo" -- trusted person. Two prisoners were summoned from the rear. Fifty or 60 people sitting on benches facing the court stood up. The chief judge said, "We are going to remember." Then, a long silence.

They were there not only to remember, but to be able to stop remembering, to find truth and maybe justice, and to rebuild their lives. This is the gacaca court (pronounced ga-cha-cha). The name means "on the grass." Throughout Rwanda's history, neighbors have settled disputes by adjourning to the gacaca to sit, discuss and mediate personal and community problems.

But now these Rwandan courts are faced with trying more than 40,000 prisoners implicated in the genocide of 1994, when the members of the country's Hutu ethnic majority killed nearly 1 million minority Tutsis in a 100-day rampage. Most of the accused have been in jail for more than 10 years without trial. While the masterminds of the genocide -- those who planned, organized and incited it -- will be tried by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda operating in Tanzania, and others charged with murder will be tried in regular criminal courts, the many more who abetted the slaughter will go before the gacaca courts. The gacaca judges are not lawyers, but respected persons selected by the community.

This is a strangely inspiring process to witness, especially for me, a retired lawyer used to the often acrimonious U.S. system. While the crimes in Rwanda are deeply disturbing, the gacaca courts, which generally meet once a week, emphasize reconciliation and deemphasize retribution -- though further punishment for those accused is still possible. There are approximately 10,000 gacaca courts, each with nine elected judges. They are how most ordinary people here are coming to terms with the past.

Rwandans want, above all, to find out exactly where and how those close to them died. Without this knowledge, it is hard to move on. Genocide memorials have been erected throughout the country in the solemn style of our Vietnam Veterans Memorial, only the slates are largely blank, listing hundreds of names of the known dead but leaving space for tens of thousands of others who perished and whose names are unknown. The need to learn the names of the dead is greater than the need to punish.

I was in Rwanda with my son over the summer to visit American friends. One conducts anti-violence workshops for gacaca judges for the African Great Lakes Initiative, a Quaker group. Her husband is a health adviser for the U.S. Agency for International Development. Given my experience as a public interest lawyer, I wanted to attend a gacaca, even if I had to absorb the proceedings through someone translating Kinyarwanda in a low voice.

During the session I attended one day in early August, one of the accused, a man named Nicodemus, was summoned before the bench. His accuser rose, took an oath and stated: "Nicodemus was persecuting Tutsis, hunting them. I am not sure if he killed them." He then asked the tribunal to forgive Nicodemus, as though charging him in public were its own form of revenge.

A second accuser, named Bimenyimana, rose and accused Nicodemus of killing someone named Concord. A judge asked, "How do you know Concord died?" Bimenyimana answered, "I had lunch with people who said he died." The judge: "How did he die?" Accuser: "I don't know. I didn't see him again, and we were neighbors." At this point the judge read out an article of the laws of gacaca, informing the accuser that he was in danger if he was perjuring himself. At the earlier information stage of the court process, he had stated that he didn't know how certain people had died; now the judges wanted to ascertain whether he was bringing false testimony.

An imposing woman in a striking brown dress with a blue and white pattern and matching headdress rose from the audience and advised the accuser Bimenyimana to tell the truth. "Other people here are neighbors of Nicodemus," she said. Although Kigali is a populous city, the neighborhood where Nicodemus lived is a small, tightly knit community within the city where everyone seems to know everyone else.

To a foreigner like me, the ethnic lines that once meant life or death appeared blurred. Nicodemus was Hutu; the accuser who asked the tribunal to forgive him appeared to be Tutsi, but it wasn't obvious. Both Hutus and Tutsis sat on the tribunal; I could not tell the difference. Still other Rwandans are part Hutu and part Tutsi.

To many, the Hutu/Tutsi distinction is a matter of economic or social standing rather than ethnic origins. A display in the Kigali Memorial Centre says that if a Hutu acquired 10 cows or more, he was considered a Tutsi. The Tutsi guide who took us to the Kigali memorial had invited his Hutu friend along. We stood in the peace garden of roses overlooking the city's hills. Smiling, the guide said: "I'm Tutsi. He's Hutu. Why aren't we fighting?" Both young men had been children when the genocide occurred and have grown up together.

The first day my son and I spent in the country was a Saturday set aside for community service.We could have stayed inside, but we decided to join in. We were handed machetes, and walked down the dirt road to the center of Kicukiro, a sector of Kigali, together with hundreds of other people to clear land for a community center. It was surreal, given that machetes were the weapons used in much of the killing. Yet perhaps it was a metaphor -- as though ploughshares had turned to swords and back again.

more
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

nice post... i am left to wonder if we could ever get to bring about real justice through reconcilation in jamaica...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Reconcile ?

Nutting wrong wid Jamaica that $10,000 per capita GDP can't cure...

If di PNP never kill Downtown re-development... ebryting woulda criss now...

Oh well...

Comment

Reconcile ?

Would you marry a woman who votes for PNP?

Comment

yuh mussi mad, world war tree

Comment

Politics is used as a means to divide & conquer Jamaicans, furthermore those in political power do not have an incentive to implement real justice.

There is much to lose if we eliminate corruption & political tribalism.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

...talkin' about political entrenchment!

Reconcile means you will have to speak with the opposing side to hammer out an agreement to make progress.....

Nat happenin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONCLUSION: Jamaica get sheggg.

Sorry.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Even when them hammer out agreement there will be no progress. The only chance is if them get togather and sensible people form a real opposition party to counter the JLP/PNP union.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The JLP can do it by themselves Assasin...jus ax Maudibbb
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Mi nuh marry eediat..

Wha kinda question dat ?

Comment

Mi tell yuh enough times now that Jamaica need 2 good Parents.. the JLP cyaan reform di PNP.. is up tuh unnu fi tek di PNP through a 12 step program and reform dem...

Whateva unnuh do.. keep dem outta di Govt.. mek serious people tek time fix back tings..

Is that too much to ask ?

Comment

That is a sad indictment of things political in Jamaica. I hope you said that tongue in cheek.
                        Peter R

Comment

A woman would haffi come good fi explain how she support a party that has destroyed Jamaica.

Di woman nuh born fi accomplish dat..

I tek Jamaicas situation personal.. sorry.

Comment

That's part of the reason the parties cannot get closer in order to work for the common good. A suh de ting set!
                            Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                              Reconcile ?

Would you marry a woman who votes for PNP?
                              Bettah yuh put di question sign afta di word "woman" LOL!!!
                              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X