• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jawge you and your brethren Audley Shaw a say same thing

EDITORS' FORUM - Promoting sustainable growth
    published: Monday | November 27, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Opposition spokesman on Finance, Audley Shaw. - Andrew Smith/Photography Editor

Last Wednesday, The Gleaner hosted Audley Shaw, Opposition spokesman on <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Finance</SPAN> and the Public Service, at a Gleaner Editors' Forum. Mr. Shaw was questioned on a range of issues relevant to his shadow portfolio. Today, we present excerpts from the forum.

I have come to the conclusion that there are some structural weaknesses in the economy that militate against the growth, significant growth, and I just want to briefly summarise them.

The four areas that I've identified that are of immediate need of attention would be, number one, the debt burden of the country. It has to be dealt with in a very specific and unambiguous fashion.

Secondly, we need a sensible energy policy. An <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">energy</SPAN> policy that takes into account the fact that we are heavily oil dependent at present and that the cost of energy production in <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN> is way above the international average ... the cost of producing electricity ... we have to look at that. Because, unless you can deal over time with reducing the cost of energy in Jamaica, then you are not going to be able to have any significant impact on really taming <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink3 &#111;nmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,3); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" &#111;nclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,3); &#111;nmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,3); href="http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20061127/business/business1.html#" target=_new><SPAN class=kLink
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

RE: Jawge you and your brethren Audley Shaw a say same thing

No... as soon as the latest version of the gleaner was uploaded, Jawge change him tune. Look at this attitude towards education? Him constantly mek up noise about education, but when him see who more serious about improving it, him start to act the fool. Well ... if him acting.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

[The third pillar, in my view, is the pillar of the bureaucracy. Now, the bureaucracy, when I refer to the bureaucracy I am talking about the public sector bureaucracy. I am talking about the ability of the bureaucracy to deliver efficient services to everyone in the country; to business people, to investors, to people who want to apply for permission to put up a sub-division, to put up some kind of development, the kind of red tape that they have to be going through. Things that ought to be taking weeks or months approvals are taking years in Jamaica.]

This is one point that needs fixing and fixing fast. That there bureaucracy frustrate and turn off nuff people!!
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Wha you say, smart minds think alike........
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

lazie and benj will take that up with you
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass what are you talking about :P

Audley and I saying the same thing? You just did it so I would read. Right?

Comment

Since you love ask for comments...

Yuh nah give one ?

The man yuh have off as an idiot has spoken.. so we are not misled you need to debunk and critique.. help us...

Comment

Working...
              X