• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academic says lack of leadership hurting Jamaica

Academic says lack of leadership hurting Jamaica

By Basil Walters Observer staff reporter

Monday, August 10, 2009

Co-Academic Director of the Mona School of Business Dr Lawrence Nicholson is of the view that the greatest problem facing the country is the absence of leadership.

Dr Nicholson, in an address to The Rotary Club of Spanish Town, said that even if Jamaica should get rid of its debt problem, in another five years it would still be where it is today.

"I have asked what is the greatest problem that Jamaica faces, as I have asked my students over the past five years, and I've not been getting the correct answer. But I have a theory that the greatest problem that Jamaica faces is absence of leadership," Dr Nicholson told the Spanish Town Rotarians, at their weekly meeting at the Hilton Hotel recently.
    "The fact that someone leads, doesn't mean that the person knows how to lead. I believe that if we should get rid of all our debts or the countries to which we are indebted should say to us that your slate is wiped clean, and should be able to get rid of all the thugs that we have in Jamaica, I believe that in five years' time we would be where we are right now, with the set of leaders we have had over the years," he said.

Speaking against the background of what in his estimation is the skewed perception between education and certification, Dr Nicholson said that certification can be devoid of education as too many people who were parading with certification were not educated.

"I think that over the years we in Jamaica have been preoccupied with certification. We have too many persons who are parading around with bachelor's, MSE and MA and Phds without being educated," Dr Nicholson said.

"They are highly certified," he stressed, "so you find that many persons come into UWI and doing a MD and when I interact with them and when I engage them, the essence of what they want is a piece of paper, without understanding the essence of what is required to change our society.
    "That has seeped in the entire gamut of our educational system. I believe it is in the context of people who talk about traditional high schools and what is not traditional. It seems to me that it is more important for one to be linked with a particular school, rather than to be preoccupied with being educated, wherever one is placed," he said.

In his appeal to the Rotarians to help with the education of the younger generation, the university lecturer said that when he observed the behaviour of people in the society with certification, he is convinced that a greater emphasis on education is needed.

"Certification will not lead us anywhere, any place too fast," Dr Nicholson argued. "We need a concerted effort to seek to educate our society rather than certifying our society.

"Certification can be devoid of education. Even on the university campus where there are many PhDs walking around, and MScs, when I see the behaviour of persons who ought to be educated in our society, it does not auger well for the future.

"The fact that one has a PhD, does not necessarily mean that one is educated to a point where a transformation ought to take place when you engage such a person. My appeal to you as Rotarians is to join with me in helping to educate the younger generation of our society.

"Let us help the younger generation of our society to understand the good manners of the past. Let us educate them to understand that the fact that you are able to read and write is not enough. In fact, there is a difference between barking at words and reading. So the fact that one is said to be literate does not necessarily mean that one is educated to the point where one needs to bring transformation to a society," he said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Speaking against the background of what in his estimation is the skewed perception between education and certification, Dr Nicholson said that certification can be devoid of education as too many people who were parading with certification were not educated.

"I think that over the years we in Jamaica have been preoccupied with certification. We have too many persons who are parading around with bachelor's, MSE and MA and Phds without being educated," Dr Nicholson said.

"They are highly certified," he stressed, "so you find that many persons come into UWI and doing a MD and when I interact with them and when I engage them, the essence of what they want is a piece of paper, without understanding the essence of what is required to change our society.
    "That has seeped in the entire gamut of our educational system. I believe it is in the context of people who talk about traditional high schools and what is not traditional. It seems to me that it is more important for one to be linked with a particular school, rather than to be preoccupied with being educated, wherever one is placed," he said.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Academic says lack of leadership hurting Jamaica

By Basil Walters Observer staff reporter

Monday, August 10, 2009

Co-Academic Director of the Mona School of Business Dr Lawrence Nicholson is of the view that the greatest problem facing the country is the absence of leadership.

Dr Nicholson, in an address to The Rotary Club of Spanish Town, said that even if Jamaica should get rid of its debt problem, in another five years it would still be where it is today.

"I have asked what is the greatest problem that Jamaica faces, as I have asked my students over the past five years, and I've not been getting the correct answer. But I have a theory that the greatest problem that Jamaica faces is absence of leadership," Dr Nicholson told the Spanish Town Rotarians, at their weekly meeting at the Hilton Hotel recently.
      "The fact that someone leads, doesn't mean that the person knows how to lead. I believe that if we should get rid of all our debts or the countries to which we are indebted should say to us that your slate is wiped clean, and should be able to get rid of all the thugs that we have in Jamaica, I believe that in five years' time we would be where we are right now, with the set of leaders we have had over the years," he said.

In his appeal to the Rotarians to help with the education of the younger generation, the university lecturer said that when he observed the behaviour of people in the society with certification, he is convinced that a greater emphasis on education is needed.

"Certification will not lead us anywhere, any place too fast," Dr Nicholson argued. "We need a concerted effort to seek to educate our society rather than certifying our society.

"Certification can be devoid of education. Even on the university campus where there are many PhDs walking around, and MScs, when I see the behaviour of persons who ought to be educated in our society, it does not auger well for the future.

"The fact that one has a PhD, does not necessarily mean that one is educated to a point where a transformation ought to take place when you engage such a person. My appeal to you as Rotarians is to join with me in helping to educate the younger generation of our society.

"Let us help the younger generation of our society to understand the good manners of the past. Let us educate them to understand that the fact that you are able to read and write is not enough. In fact, there is a difference between barking at words and reading. So the fact that one is said to be literate does not necessarily mean that one is educated to the point where one needs to bring transformation to a society," he said.

Without vision the people shall continue to perish.

We need a Marcus Garvey/Norman Manley clone asap.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

which nicholson said dat? i hope is not jack or AJ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
        X